• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Religion question

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Hey..

I just want to know your guys opinions on this. I have a friend who recently became extremely religious. She is a serious bible thumper. All she listens to are psalms and when she goes for a run she doesn't listen to music.. she listens to psalms. It's actually worrisome that it almost sounds like she is part of a cult. Over Xmas she forced us to do grace. I'm not religious at all. I'm almost atheist. How would you guys feel if you had someone in your home who forced your family to sit around a table and say a prayer. Don't you guys think that is rude? over stepping their boundaries? I don't put my ideals/thoughts onto her.. bc i would be considered ignorant, and it's my opinion, but why is it okay for people who are crazy religious to preach to you.

Just wondering.

derek

TRIBE Member
if you're almost an atheist, does that make you agnostic?

if she's preaching to you and doesn't understand your not comfortable with it after being told so, it may be time to part ways. it all depends on how much you can tolerate.

but yes; it's rude.

p.s. though...if you're at her house expect to participate in grace, it's common courtesy. i'm referring to her preaching the way and trying to convert you.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
I find educating yourself about all the religions makes it a bit easier to tolerate being around the more staunch or orthodox ones.

Then again, I like to analyse people so it kinda feeds something in me to talk to people about their beliefs and why.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I like to make a distinction between religion and faith.

I was baptised and went to Sundays school, so I get the whole bible thing, but I'm more inclined to have some belief in some higher power vs being a religious fanatic.

People are entitled to believe and worship as they choose, but I get a little scared when people have a closed kind to anything that doesn't fit into their norms or briefs.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
if you're almost an atheist, does that make you agnostic?

if she's preaching to you and doesn't understand your not comfortable with it after being told so, it may be time to part ways. it all depends on how much you can tolerate.

but yes; it's rude.

p.s. though...if you're at her house expect to participate in grace, it's common courtesy. i'm referring to her preaching the way and trying to convert you.
No, she was at my house and was like 'lets do grace'. it was one of the most uncomfortable things ever bc my parents aren't really religious. I just found it unsettling. If you are in a persons house who is religious then it's expected. I used to have to do grace all the time when i was a kid having dinners at friends house.. just when you are at my house, you dont tell me to do grace.:mad:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Why is it a big deal to let her say a prayer for dinner? She's at your table so you must think something of her. Why not show some respect?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I would treat her the same way as I'd treat a militant, in-your-face vegan.

1. Do not alter your life to fit into their newly limited world view.
2. Set boundaries around conversation and internal thresholds about how much bible or vegetable thumping you will put up with.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Your friend is probably really excited about finding Jesus and this is likely just a huge pendulum swing. Eventually the pendulum will come back a bit and rest in the middle. If she is making you feel uncomfortable at all, it is a good idea to state that now in a respectful way.

And, if she gets super judgy then just say "judge not lest ye be judged." Boom!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Ah Jesus Freaks.... Let them enjoy living in their pink clouds while they can.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Hey..

I just want to know your guys opinions on this. I have a friend who recently became extremely religious. She is a serious bible thumper. All she listens to are psalms and when she goes for a run she doesn't listen to music.. she listens to psalms. It's actually worrisome that it almost sounds like she is part of a cult. Over Xmas she forced us to do grace. I'm not religious at all. I'm almost atheist. How would you guys feel if you had someone in your home who forced your family to sit around a table and say a prayer. Don't you guys think that is rude? over stepping their boundaries? I don't put my ideals/thoughts onto her.. bc i would be considered ignorant, and it's my opinion, but why is it okay for people who are crazy religious to preach to you.

Just wondering.
if that's all she needs to be happy, is to say grace, then hey why not? but if she is the type of person that will never be pleased - and has an endless pit of needs to be filled, then that's a different story. She must be a real good friend if you're even thinking twice about this.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
An interesting side note- yestrday, I found, in the trash, The Illustrated Book of Jesus, allong with a book on Jerusalem, and aids-activism, and Tommy Chong (along with some hemp products, annd Ann Raynd. There was also a bunch of Catholic Bible studies stuff, which I didn't bother taking. Now I hate to pschhologicaly profile my subjects, but clearly, this girl was a pot smoking bible thumper with serious conflicted issues! That being said, I'd probly still fuck her. Cheers!

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
M'eh...long as she's not adamant in trying to convert you..and you aren't feeling receptive to it...I don't see a problem.

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
REAL friends know each others' limits and don't force their opinions on each other. If she's pushing the conversion thing non-stop, tell her you're simply not interested and leave it at that. If she continues to push, maybe it's time for a break. That said, I wouldn't make a big deal about the grace thing unless it went on forever. A 30 second 'thanks for the food' thingie won't hurt anyone and anyone who's not interested can take the time to decide which portion of the meal to dig into first.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Deus

TRIBE Member
Why is it a big deal to let her say a prayer for dinner? She's at your table so you must think something of her. Why not show some respect?
Because it is offensive to an atheist, especially at her own table in her own house for someone to force them to participate in saying grace. If she wanted to say grace to herself that is absolutely fine with me, I will bow my head and wait for her to finish. But don't make me join because that is obnoxious and offensive. I wouldn't force her NOT to say grace if I was visiting her house.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Because it is offensive to an atheist, especially at her own table in her own house for someone to force them to participate in saying grace. If she wanted to say grace to herself that is absolutely fine with me, I will bow my head and wait for her to finish. But don't make me join because that is obnoxious and offensive. I wouldn't force her NOT to say grace if I was visiting her house.
How is it offensive to an atheist? She wants to thank her HP/Supreme being for good food and such. The atheist just doesn't believe it exists.

So I don't get the generalization that atheists such as myself are offended by folks religious rites. I'm not. It's just not what I believe. For me, that's an internal thing. I don't need to push others around with my beliefs(or in the case of god/xenu/HP/supreme being, belief in the existence thereof)...if they feel the need to, within reason, it's cool that they want to share their belief with me.

I wouldn't force anyone to do anything. Hospitality demands that I play it cool until a majority of my guests are uncomfortable.

Deus

TRIBE Member
How is it offensive to an atheist? She wants to thank her HP/Supreme being for good food and such. The atheist just doesn't believe it exists.

So I don't get the generalization that atheists such as myself are offended by folks religious rites. I'm not. It's just not what I believe. For me, that's an internal thing. I don't need to push others around with my beliefs(or in the case of god/xenu/HP/supreme being, belief in the existence thereof)...if they feel the need to, within reason, it's cool that they want to share their belief with me.

I wouldn't force anyone to do anything. Hospitality demands that I play it cool until a majority of my guests are uncomfortable.
It is offensive because it signals that what she believes is better than what I believe. It is condescending. I wouldn't go to her house and say that she can't say grace today because I'm an atheist and I don't believe in that. Similarly, she shouldn't come to my house and say that we're saying grace today. If she wants to do it by herself, and whoever wants to join, I respect that, but should not force the whole table to partake.

derek

TRIBE Member
^^^

this. while i don't find it highly offensive, it is inappropriate to expect others to participate in your religious ritual at their home.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Atheist being offended of others religion is offensive, until you prove there is no god, you are both being silly.

Live and let live, everyone has a different point of view in this whole mystery, and you being offended instead of being curious or accepting of other's point of view will just stunt your own spiritual growth.

Unless you are against spirituality, if so then you are the one that is missing something.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Atheist being offended of others religion is offensive, until you prove there is no god, you are both being silly.
That's just ridiculous. You gotta think of where we're coming from. Something like 50-60% of Americans wouldn't even contemplate voting for an atheist, cause for many religious believers, atheism is a proxy for nihilism and immorality. Until very recently, atheists were legally barred from holding positions, hounded out of jobs (still happens actually) and generally a victimized class in a "believer" society. Of course there are asshole atheists who get upset over nothing, just like there are in every demographic...

But there's religion foisted on the non-religious everywhere, and I think in some cases the atheists are perfectly entitled to be "offended", and there is no need to force a bullshit test that they need to "prove" god doesn't exist.

Again this goes back to the common misconception of atheism among believers: they think of atheism as making a positive case that there is no god.

However that is only a subset of atheists. The accurate definition of atheism is to be "without belief", NOT, "possessing a positive belief that god doesn't exist"

As such, the idea that they should prove God doesn't exist flips where the real burden of proof is: its the believers making a positive claim that god exists.

If anyone needs to prove anything it's them!

KickIT

TRIBE Member
You guys should follow Ricky Gervais on Twitter. He has some epic battles with Christians.