1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Religion = batshit

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by DJ Vuvu Zela, Jul 9, 2015.

1. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

I think the US is an outlier for worldwide statistics (because there's more Jews in the US than Israel). Muslims outnumber Jews in Canada, but Jews still face more hate crimes here. From everything I've ever read on the subject that seems to hold true for most of the world..

It's also interesting that the other 2 Abrahamic religions (which lets be honest, basically plagiarized Judaism, changing some bits near the end) are basically the wellspring of Jewish hate in the world.

Says a lot about Religion IMO.

2. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Yeah this part has always mystified me, was reading on this just last night:

Here she records the swerving mind and words of a seventy-three-year-old retired seamstress, her mind perverted—or, more likely, endorsed—by the ultra-right-wing Catholic Radio Maryja:
    Holy Scripture tells us the Jews are a tribe of vipers, perverts, they’re untrustworthy and faithless. They played tricks on the Lord himself, and He had to send down plagues on them. He made them wander in the wilderness for thirty years. It’s no accident He punished them in the way He did. I’ve known about that from before the war, from religious studies. I remember everything. I’m seventy-three and I’ve still no sclerosis at all, though I don’t eat margarine, only butter, because it’s Jewish companies that make margarine.​
    That last sentence is both entirely incidental, and entirely crucial. When the same woman is presented with the fact that Jesus was a Jew, she replies, “What are you saying, he was God’s son, that tribe has nothing to do with him. He didn’t speak much Hebrew and no Yiddish at all.”​

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

4. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

a bit of optimism :

Humanism is growing faster than Islamism | Matt Ridley

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

7. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

on this Easter weekend, I will just leave this here..
    [YOUTUBE]nVG98f8NL5g[/YOUTUBE]

8. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

[YOUTUBE]vgk7MXWQOAM[/YOUTUBE]

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Great tour de force on our new religiousity in a secularized society - imbuing food choices with personal religious significance:

The GMO-labeling movement is about faith, not facts.

The anti-GMO movement intersects and overlaps with organized religions. When the food industry filed suit over the Vermont law, a Canadian philosopher named Conrad Brunk filed an amicus brief expanding on this idea. Brunk had chaired an expert committee on GMO regulation set up by the Canadian government and in 2009 he edited a study of religious attitudes toward genetic modification among both scholars and lay practitioners. “The scholars and practitioners in almost every case have fundamentally different ontological views about the nature of reality,” Brunk told me. In short, the experts were somewhat more forgiving in their appraisal of GMOs and how they might fit into each faith. A scholar of Judaism, for example, didn’t think that a tomato would become un-kosher just because its genome had been augmented with a pig gene. But in a series of focus groups, Brunk and his colleagues found that regular, practicing Jews might see the “pig-ness” of that extra gene as a contaminant. The tomato would be off limits.

There’s no such thing as a pig-mato—that’s a standard hypothetical. But similar issues have already come up in the marketplace. The GM salmon breed that the FDA approved last November, called AquaBounty, includes an eel gene, and since eels are not kosher—their scales can’t easily be removed—anti-GMO activists have argued that AquaBounty salmon are themselves off limits for observant Jews. Rabbis may disagree, but as Brunk argues in his legal brief, the real beliefs and practices of religious folks are more relevant to public policy than the hairsplitting theories of scholars and theologians.

Religious objections to GMOs aren’t limited to esoteric, sectarian debates over pig-ness and eel-ification. Members of Brunk’s focus groups expressed more ecumenical concerns that genetic engineering might be an unnatural violation—a way of “playing God” or abusing God’s creation.

Even for those who don’t belong to any church, these generic fears about messing with the sanctity of nature define their own, freelanced animism. And familiar claims that GM foods are hazardous to human health or harmful to the planet can be understood as offshoots of an underlying, theological position: One pays a price for sacrilege.

If opposition to GMOs functions like a religious food taboo, then the limits of that taboo are subject to further sectarian divides. These play out most clearly in the Talmudic debates over the exact meaning of the phrase “genetically engineered.”​

---

More on religious attitudes with respect to food here, great Paikin episode:

Virtuous Food | TVo_Org

"The past few years have seen an explosion of 'clean eating,' whether it's juicing and raw food, the Paleo diet or eating gluten-free. What we eat is now firmly in the public consciousness. What is motivating this food movement? The Agenda will be joined by Gillian McCann of Nipissing University. She argues that people are transferring to food the values you would typically find in religion - purity, ethics and goodness."

10. basketballjones

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

12. basketballjones

There should be another chart that shows how impoverished the countries are with the most believers

13. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya i was thinking something similar... And how japan's number is kind of fake.

All kinds of crazy superstitions there

14. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

wait...you posted that ' graph ' Praktik.
    own up !

15. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

No comprende!

16. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

-jM
    A&D

17. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

the girl by herself in the red sweater is gorgeous.

18. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Moloch (Phoenician: , Masoretic מֹלֶךְ mōlek, Greek Μολόχ) is the Biblical name relating to a Canaanite god associated with child sacrifice. The name of this deity is also sometimes spelled Molech, Milcom, or Malcam.

The name Moloch results from a dysphemicvocalisation in the Second Temple period of a theonym based on the root mlk "king". There are a number of Canaanite gods with names based on this root, which became summarily associated with Moloch, including Biblical מַלְכָּם Malkam "great king" (KJV Milcom), which appears to refer to a god of the Ammonites, as well as Tyrian Melqart and others.

Rabbinical tradition depicted Moloch as a bronze statue heated with fire into which the victims were thrown. This has been associated with reports by Greco-Roman authors on the child sacrifices in Carthage to Baal Hammon,[1] especially since archaeological excavations since the 1920s have produced evidence for child sacrifice in Carthage as well as inscriptions including the term MLK, either a theonym or a technical term associated with sacrifice. In interpretatio graeca, the Phoenician god was identified with Cronus, due to the parallel mytheme of Cronus devouring his children.

Otto Eissfeldt in 1935 argued that mlk was not to be taken as a theonym at all but as a term for a type of fire sacrifice, and that *lĕmōlek"as a molk-sacrifice" had been reinterpreted as the name of a Canaanite idol following the Deuteronomic reform under Josiah (r. 640–609 BC). According to Eissfeldt, this 7th-century reform abolished the child sacrifice that had been happening, being unacceptable in the Jewish religion.

Moloch has been used figuratively in English literature from John Milton's Paradise Lost(1667) to Allen Ginsberg's "Howl" (1955), to refer to a person or thing demanding or requiring a very costly sacrifice.

Moloch - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

19. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

20. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Just tossing out a couple of friendly Christian reminders for the like-minded heathens ‘round here. God’s love is everywhere.

"But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you." (Deuteronomy 22: 20-21)

“If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  21. basketballjones

the book also talks about not eating shrimp a lot more than homosexuality but ppl like shrimp so....

22. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

23. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

24. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

25. basketballjones

How a Tennessee woman finally had a baby, using a 24-year-old frozen embryo

“People say, ‘oh it’s science,’ but no I think it’s a gift from the Lord. It’s a gift from the Lord, for sure,” Tina Gibson told NBC local affiliate WBIR.

no, it was science you fucking retard. if it was god why did he put you in this situation in the first place....only answer...he doesnt fucking exist