• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Release Records "physical" store is closing

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I'm particularly saddened to hear this.

There's a lot of hyperbolic nonsense being thrown around in the other thread as to the death of vinyl and a complete shift towards digital djing but I think it's totally overstated. The bottom line is Release is recalibrating itself as a strictly online entity and digital music store a la Beatport, Stompy, et al.

I've spent a lot of time and money at the Toronto store since it opened. From the first week they were in business to very recently. Angus is/was really an intelligent and open-minded breakbeat order machine, and when I was working weekends at the London store, breaks were always a major seller, partially because I pushed them harder than the massive amounts of tribal and prog. While 2thebeat has some solid selections, I've always found Release to be more robust in terms of breakbeat.

A few years ago I would of been arguing adamantly against the vinyl purists to be open-minded to the evolving digital djscape, but now I find myself making an almost Innisian plea for vinyl and to not plunge into the depths of techno-determinancy.

Perhaps breaks heads are imbued with more of sense of nostalgia for vinyl than the prog-hogs, but I think that the loss of the physical store will be felt paricularly hard in our community. Converesly, I've had many conversations with vinyl monkeys at Play De who refused to shop at Release despite an affinity for Angus and his ordering just because they felt the owner(s) had a righteous holier-than-thou attitude and were not down with 'the spirit' of vinyl but rather the futurism that seems to underpin the progressive music movement.

So.

What now?

What does Releases closing mean to you?

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
when is it closing? will they still be providing vinyl or strictly digital? AHHHHH?
I hope that 2the beat steps up and orders a bit more upfront. I always found their selection to be 2 weeks to a month behind release if they got the tracks at all. However, I wouldnt mind shopping there cause the people are great. Play de is a mess in terms of stock and doesnt get the quantity of solid breaks records. Kopps is still good for 45s and old hip hop breaks but something definately needs to replace the quality of release records selection on a weekly basis.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Damn I feel like I did when Eastern bloc died. so ummm Whens the big closing sale? Hope Angus puts out all the treats he has been hiding in the back room.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I'm particularly looking forward to the auctioning off of the pics of mom he keeps in the back room.

I love bringing her up, especially when he can't post!

;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
this is heartbreaking news.
I was crushed enough by the London store closing last year, but now to find I cant even order records through them at all anymore is especially painful.
Release always had the most up to date breaks selections and widest label and sounds selection of any store in the province (I mean they had an entire Downtempo Breaks section!!!) that I've come by. not to mention the nice long audio samples for listening.

So what does Release's closing mean to me?
well, considering I generally only play vinyl live unless my own productions, its going to mean finding some new hot spots to fulfill my black crack cravings.
and after seeing my London record shops (Release and Dr Disc) close and now even my favourite online vinyl supplier shut its doors, Im really starting to dislike the mp3 dj generation even more.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
well, i've always been a slut about ordering my vinyl online direct from the UK because it is $4-5 cheaper per record on average. plus the uk stores have all the shit (most) of the time. 16.00 per record? vs 4.68 uk pounds? you do the math. these stores keep it real (heh), they merely save rent on the physical store.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -] said:
mp3 dj generation
i dont think its a generation thing anymore man....i think its just a fact of life. certainly the guys swtiching to digital are not simply the new crew, its pretty much everyone operating at the professional level. it'll be a while before vinyl dies, and personally i dont think it will ever properly die, but release is making, IMO, a very intelligent move. it simply makes more sense.

to be honest, i dont think technology something that can be fought, and keeping it vinyl will come with a heavier and heavier price tag, and at some point in time, that would have to be passed down to the consumer...i dont think people would be willing to pay 25 bucks a record or more, and thats whats gonna be necessary for a lot of shops to charge to stay open - that, or evolve.

my 2 cents. :)

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Sal De Ban said:
well, i've always been a slut about ordering my vinyl online direct from the UK because it is $4-5 cheaper per record on average.
don't get me wrong, I've always been a sucker for the uk sites too, but Release won my business when they were the only store in London Ontario pushing breaks.
I've always liked actually going into the shop to pick up my records (even though I still ordered off their site). when cities lose their record store, the city loses its output for electronic music. not just in vinyl, but also a place that actually puts electronic music onto a street level.
that's also one less place to promote local events, and one less place for people that might be intrigues by the music but doesnt have the knowledge of where to go for more information.
I mean the internet is amazing for information, but when there isn't a place for the music to be found in the real world, it's not going to help the future of electronic music.
now my opinion is based on seeing it all happen here, and I know that Toronto still has a number of stores and places as this street level outlet, but as the stores fall one by one, it's something we might see.

!Myagi! said:
i dont think its a generation thing anymore man....i think its just a fact of life. certainly the guys swtiching to digital are not simply the new crew, its pretty much everyone operating at the professional level.
it's because cd's have become such a common practice that I really don't have a problem classifying it as a generation.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
[quote='[- FuNKtiOn -]I've always liked actually going into the shop to pick up my records (even though I still ordered off their site). when cities lose their record store, the city loses its output for electronic music. not just in vinyl, but also a place that actually puts electronic music onto a street level.
that's also one less place to promote local events, and one less place for people that might be intrigues by the music but doesnt have the knowledge of where to go for more information.
I mean the internet is amazing for information, but when there isn't a place for the music to be found in the real world, it's not going to help the future of electronic music.
now my opinion is based on seeing it all happen here, and I know that Toronto still has a number of stores and places as this street level outlet, but as the stores fall one by one, it's something we might see.[/quote]
I can't agree more, homeboy.

Perhaps we feel so strongly about this because we saw these hubs of the electronic music community in London dissapear,seen the effects first hand which is something that Toronto can't even grasp at this point.

I went on some rant in the progressive forum about global <---->local, but I think it was a waste of time.

Big League Chu

TRIBE Member
It's sad that there will be a generation of dj's that will never know the true feeling of riding a pitch on a tech 12. Too many touch the platter dj's that will never know the glorious feeling of dropping a tune and experience the true joy of sliding that 1200 pitch button in the palm of the hand. These guys aren't DJ's their digital entertainers.. big difference.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
It all leads to one thing... a party!

Bring on the digital entertainers.

At the end of the day they are still DJs, but instead of Disc Jockey it's Digatal Jockey:p

Last edited:

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
not only that... but Dan uses Serato now!

hee hee, but seriously it's not the end of the world. vinyl is great, but it's had it's time imho. djing is pretty 'stairway' at this point anyway.

electronic music is in dire need of something to make it fresh again, and i think that the move away from DJing could well provide it. it is only very recently that computers have been able to get out of the studio and onto the stage, i think it's going to be great to see the new wave of live performance-based electronic music. once we get past the 'DJ checking his email on stage' point it will really open up electronic music to those who like to go out to shows, as opposed to get fucked up and dance all night.

i am quite optimistic about what the future holds personally. and i'll always use the turntable as an instrument. that's for sure.

Last edited:
R.I.P Breaks Vinyl Purchasing :(

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

This sucks... I will no longer be able to walk down the street (i literally live on Maitland) and graze the dozens of new releases' (there will be no 'new release') every week.

Muchos Crappo...

I love walking up and down yonge checking out all the shops, stopping in with some small talk. This will put a dent in the small scene for me.

I have unfortunately stopped purchasing vinyl while in school, but was looking forward to picking up again where i left off when i finished. I will be purchasing Serato as soon as i get the loot, but i still want vinyl to complement the digital world. This will not be as easy anymore. 2 the Beat is a wonderful place to shop, great staff, ok location, but the prices just kill me. Now they'll have free reign to charge anything they want, the demand is there, but the supply is ALL GONE PETE TONG. It's life, I know, but I will not be apart of it, no matter how much i love vinyl... its going all digital for me now. :(

:(

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
while it's sad to see the store go... nothing lasts forever. Over the years i've seen so many record shops come and go in this city. The only one that has outlasted is play de and that's because of hip hop IMO.

word on the street is kopps might be toast soon as well.. although I've ever shopped there so it won't make much of a difference to me.

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
Release was a great store. Always great selections! But like all good things, they must come to an end.

p.s. 2thebeat still sells breaks yknow ;)

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
does 2thebeat order from groove distro? hows the stock on mid-tempo funky stuff? What about the german imports? I know Angus went outside normal channels to stock that stuff and from what Ive seen in the past I could always find 1 or 2 records I liked on the wall at 2thebeat but release was always stocking quite a bit more in terms of that funky sound.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Hipsterave said:
does 2thebeat order from groove distro? hows the stock on mid-tempo funky stuff? What about the german imports? I know Angus went outside normal channels to stock that stuff and from what Ive seen in the past I could always find 1 or 2 records I liked on the wall at 2thebeat but release was always stocking quite a bit more in terms of that funky sound.

2 the beat hass always gone out of their way to order anything that I have asked for. Just gotta ask ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders