1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Reindeer Attacks Antwerp Zookeeper

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by PAUZE, Mar 12, 2010.

1. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Apparently the zookeepers are under investigation for animal cruelty. Personally the force they used seemed a bit excessive. The only question I ask is where's the tranquilizer gun at???
  2. keline

keline TRIBE Member

I'm interested in what everyone is saying in this clip.. From the tone of their voices I imagine the bystanders are telling the zookeepers to stop? What does the zookeeper say in response?
  3. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Too bad it wasn't a killer whale.
  4. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

I wonder if the "Crocodile Hunter", covering of the eyes technique would have worked?
  5. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

They aren't saying all that much.

Bystanders: A couple times, a bystander asks if they should call someone, one bystander says that it looks like they're going to punish him, lots of 'no no no', some comments that they should leave the reindeer alone.

Zoo staff: lots of general swearing, some 'what are you going to do' comments, nothing terribly exciting.

According to the news, the reindeer, Jolf, is fine. The staff claim that it was an us-or-him situation that really took 20 minutes so the video gives the wrong idea. She's worked at the zoo for 20 years, him for 13. Both still work there, and the zoo has changed the habitat so that the staff don't come directly in contact with the reindeer. An animal rights organization has complained, but I don't think there's been any official charges or anything.
  6. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

seems like they had numerous chances to just leave the area instead of struggling with the thing, that part seems excessive.
  7. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

20 mins??? Still wondering why a tranquilizer would not have been used? 20 years and 13 years experience and they use a shovel?
  8. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Fucking ridiculous behaviour from people who should know what they're doing. Hitting it over the head with a shovel? How about leaving the compound or have tranquilizers readily available incase of these incidents.
  9. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Santa's gonna be pissed!
  10. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

this is disgusting. I couldn't watch the whole thing
  11. keld

keld TRIBE Member

i thought it was totally fine. tranquilizers are for bears, shovels are for reindeer.
  12. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

Come on, they didn't hit the thing that hard with the shovel. Quit being such a pussy. Hitting it in the nose stuns it. Where are are you going to hit it and have it submit without breaking bones?

If they would have let go and run, the reindeer would have ran after them and jammed its antlers in their back.

I was wondering where the tranquilizer gun was as well. Or at least some rope...
  13. Booge

Booge TRIBE Member

Just to put in my trolling two cents, but considering that reindeer in the wild fight each other by ramming their heads together with the full weight of both of their bodies behind it. Will a shovel swung by a human really hurt them?
  14. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

There was a hilarious video on one of those "when animals attack" shows where a dude in a Santa Clause suit was getting mauled by his reindeer. It was one of the funniest things I'd seen in that genre, just imagining what some small Santa-believing kid would think if they witnessed it live.