• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

reflections on life and death. your epitaph... ??

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
epitaph: strictly, an inscription on a tomb; by extension, a statement, usually in verse, commemorating the dead. The earliest such inscriptions are those found on Egyptian sarcophagi. In England epitaphs did not begin to assume a literary character until the time of Elizabeth I. Ben Jonson, John Milton, Alexander Pope, and Samuel Johnson were considered masters of the art. The epitaph on Ben Jonson's own tomb in Westminster Abbey was splendidly brief: “O rare Ben Jonson!” Epitaphs are often humorous. It is not known whether the epitaph printed below is amusing by design or by accident: Here lie I Martin Elginbrodde: Have mercy on my soul, Lord God, As I wad do, were I Lord God, And ye were Martin Elginbrodde.
i guess i've been on a bit of a self-reflection tear lately and i've unfortunately had to deal with a few deaths recently which have also contributed to said reflections...

these recent brushes have had me thinking about my own mortality and what kind of legacy i hoped to leave behind when my own date with death came rolling around and if were to die today, what would my epitaph be...

guess my favourite quote (whether correctly attributed to emerson or not - it's been debated) sums it up for me...

"To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition, to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, THIS is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

here's to hoping my epitaph would say "this man succeeded".

what would your epitaph say and what legacy do you hope to leave behind??

d

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
MoFo said:
We all die alone.
you need to lay off the donnie darko and get your self some celebrex/paxil/prozac brother.

;)

here's to looking at the glass as half-full, silver linings, and all that jazz... chin up. lol

d

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Haha, this coming from a guy who posts a thread about our epitaphs.
My dad would curse you if he read this thread.

It's all about perception, coping mechanisms and ideology.

But it's not pessimism to me. I don't see dying alone as a bad thing. It radiates with me as it's a truth that we should all acknowledge.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
"It all seems so simple in retrospect"

"if this grave a rocking don't come a knockin"

"If there is a hell I'll see you there"

"Guess you can't do that eh"

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
MoFo said:
Haha, this coming from a guy who posts a thread about our epitaphs.

I don't see dying alone as a bad thing. It's the one truth that we know: dying. That radiates with me.
lol

truth be told i don't think of death in a morbid or melancholy fashion... like taxes, it's a fact of life. lol it's inevitable and there's no denying it. in fact, i see it pretty damn often so in a sense i've become acclimatized to the sight of it. the way i see it, your body is just a vessel anyway and the sooner we accept the fact that we're only here for a short time we can truly appreciate life FULLY.

i don't see dying as either good or bad... it is what it is... the end of your earthly existence (in this incarnation anyway if you believe in reincarnation). regardless of one's beliefs, life really is too short so make the best of it. ;)

d

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Exactly. Life is way too short to be worrying about whether we die alone or not. When we do. That's how I try to look at it.

Doesn't work all the time obviously. We all get lonely.

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
Funny because last night I decided that I want this written if I ever get some sort of grave type dilly (I want my body to be partly given to science & to be cremated)

I want to billow
In your thighs
The sweet havoc
To burst beautiful
A moment in you

-mason williams-

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
how macabre! if i was walking in a cemetary and saw a tombstone inscribed with "this man succeded", i'd laugh my ass off and probably think of ways to come back and knock it down.

dvs, what about your eulogy? they say writing out your own is a good reflection to get you thinking about your life and what you want to accomplish.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Lovely N Amazin said:
how macabre! if i was walking in a cemetary and saw a tombstone inscribed with "this man succeded", i'd laugh my ass off and probably think of ways to come back and knock it down.
i'd come back to life and kick your goddam ass! glad you liked it. lol

i guess i shouldn't have put 'this man succeeded' in qoutes. i was actually trying to generalize... (it's early...cut me some slack will ya!) something to the effect that i'd left the world a better place somehow through my small contributions whatever they may have been. ;)

d

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
lol. then we could be buried next to each other and mine could read "in coming back from the dead and kicking my ass" :p

i still think writing your own eulogy is a good exercise. or even your obituary. do you ever read lives lived in the globe. tons of inspiration there.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
fine... how's this for my epitaph then??...

"Here lies dvs.
a fela who didn't mess.
Age 103
Only The Good Die Young"

;)

d

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

chooch

TRIBE Member
For me...

"The opposite of life is not death, it is cowardice."

and burn me up and sprinkle my ashes on the Atlantic Canada Coast please. :)

Dialog

TRIBE Member
The core of the Devo Devolutionary Oath would suffice:

1. Wear gaudy colors or avoid display; it's all the same
2. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one
3. The littlest may survive yet the unfit may live
4. Be like your ancestors or be different
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]5. We must repeat!

...might've missed one

[/FONT]

Funzo

TRIBE Member
I want my tombstone to be a hand pointing at someone else grave site, then underneath it will read "I'm with Stupid"