1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Red Light Offence! *$%*$&

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Scarlett, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Scarlett

Scarlett TRIBE Member

I got it in the mail.
    If any of you had one of these things in the mail, you'd know what it looks like: 3 pictures of the intersection where this offence occured.

First picture: My car is situated on the far right lane, behind the line at the intersection. I should note that far off in the distance a van already went thru the intersection. You can see that he is in the far right lane too (he made it thru the lights btw...)

Second picture: My car is totally out of the picture now, except for a little shadow which indicates that i made a RIGHT turn at the intersection. The van that was in the previous picture is still there (only a little further up now), but i'm not behind him. So i know that i made a right turn.

EDIT: Third picture- Yep...definitely my car...(license plate only shows (close-up)

I want to fight it. The fine is $190. Do i have a case here??? I'm going to the court offices to make a court date, but i want to know if it's worth it....

Help!

:confused:

2. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

You don't want one of those convictions on your insurance, so if you can fight it I say do it.

3. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but if the pics don't show your car in the intersection on the Red, then I'd say you have a great case.

4. Scarlett

Scarlett TRIBE Member

But do i have a case here? I might have failed to stop, but i made a right turn on a red light. I didn't actually go through the intersection...

5. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

never say that again!!! Obviously you stopped you made a right hand turn right after stopping!!!

NEVER ADMIT TO THE CRIME IN YOUR OWN DEFENCE!!!!!

6. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

7. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

you are supposed to stop before making a right turn on a red light. whether or not you were going through the intersection is irrelevant. if you didn't stop then you got what you deserved.

8. Scarlett

Scarlett TRIBE Member

I think it's the timing between the First and the Second pictures. According to the time of the speed travelled, i guess that's why the picture took.

9. Scarlett

Scarlett TRIBE Member

You're right

:p

10. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

OK, but that's my point. If they have no evidence of you running the light, they can't charge you. You will get off. end of story.

They need to have a pic of your car IN the intersection.

11. Scarlett

Scarlett TRIBE Member

Oh yea...according to the report it said i failed to stop about 2 secs after the light turned red...am i wrong or is 2 seconds too close to make a stop right away??? I mean, i could've slowed down, right?

12. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

Take it to court. They have no evidence.

13. Syntax Error

well i don't know what your situation is. but if it's red, you have to stop(and incidently yellow comes before red so you should be prepared to stop).

i can't really say anything about your situation because i wasn't there. but i'm sure you came to a full and complete stop before turning.:)

14. KiX

KiX TRIBE Member

what intersections have cameras???

15. Syntax Error

are you planning on running any red lights?

16. Scarlett

Scarlett TRIBE Member

I only know of one now

Mark & Egg

&$^#*$

17. bitchass

bitchass TRIBE Member

in Alberta any fine issued by a camera (speed or red light) is monetary only and no demerits or insurance increase are applied because you don't know who was driving - only who owns the car.

i truly despise red light cameras and speed cameras because they don't issue you the fine at the time of the infraction! you get the ticket a month later in the mail and you might not even remember when you did it. thats not punishment, its a cash grab.

18. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

I know Yonge and Eg does. I see them when I walk by.
    It's funny because there are people stuck in the intersection EVERY SINGLE RED LIGHT!

19. Yourmamas

Yourmamas TRIBE Member

I really like the paranoia factor in red light cameras. We should have them everywhere.

20. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

I GOT A $50 SPEEDING TICKET YESTERDAY MORNING. :(

21. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

^ Were you going 2Km over the speed limit?

That's cheap!

22. Scarlett

Scarlett TRIBE Member

Personally i'm for red light cameras (except in my case). The people who go thru intersections well after it turns red have no regard for other people's safety.

*i know there weren't any other cars approaching or pedestrians when i DID NOT make that offence* :p

23. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Exactly!!!!

I'd stick with that, the I stopped you have no evidance otherwise prove your theories all you want!!!!

24. diego

diego TRIBE Member

Actullay you might NOT win because the rule clearly states you must come to a stop. If evidence shows you didn't come to a complete stop then you are in the wrong.

I'm not saying it's right but when you go to court over such things thats what they take in to account.

Good luck! your going to need it

25. Scarlett

Scarlett TRIBE Member

I'll take my chances...i'd rather they lower the fine (or even better, give me a stern warning) than just pay the fine outright...