• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Red Bull similar to GHB?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
It's always been known that this is really bad to do... the news is a little late with this one (as usual).

Just like coke and alcohol, it's extremely bad for your heart, but people aren't going to stop doing it.

Banning red bull would be retarded, I like to drink red bull when I'm studying and such.

That was really interesting about glucuronolactone being in it... I wonder why? Was the news just exaggerating about the similarites to ghb?

Also interesting that it's got 20 times the daily intake of Taurine and caffiene equivalent to two cups of coffee.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
What is it and where does it come from?

Glucuronolactone (glucuronic acid lactone) is a natural metabolite found in the body.

Because Glucuronolactone was used as a drug during the Vietnam conflict to supply energy and feelings of well being to soldiers in combat, it was believed widely that Glucuronolactone was developed by the United States Government. Because Glucuronolactone is naturally occurring, this claim is false and no evidence exists to support this claim.

What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?

Glucuronolactone is a popular ingredient in energy drinks. Most of these drinks contain caffeine, but Glucuronolactone is included because it not only supplies energy, it also increases feelings of well-being.

Glucuronolactone has been clinically proven to reduce sleepiness and sleep-related driving incidents under conditions of afternoon monotonous driving following sleep restriction the night before.1 It is widely known to improve mental performance, reaction time, concentration and memory.2,3,4

Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?

The body manufactures Glucuronolactone naturally and deficiencies are rare.

Supplementation can be of benefit to those who want increased energy levels and increased feelings of well-being.

How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?

Strictly adhere to label instructions.

Glucuronolactone is not available over-the-counter in Canada, England, Germany and France.

REFERENCES

1. Reyner LA, Horne JA. Efficacy of a 'functional energy drink' in counteracting driver sleepiness. Physiol Behav. 2002 Mar;75(3):331-5.

2. Alford C, Cox H, Wescott R. The effects of red bull energy drink on human performance and mood. Amino Acids. 2001;21(2):139-50.

3. Horne JA, Reyner LA. Beneficial effects of an "energy drink" given to sleepy drivers. Amino Acids. 2001;20(1):83-9.

4. Seidl R, Peyrl A, Nicham R, Hauser E. A taurine and caffeine-containing drink stimulates cognitive performance and well-being. Amino Acids. 2000;19(3-4):635-42.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Taurine

It has been tested medically in the treatment of congestive heart failure, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, epilepsy and several other conditions with positive results. It is used by some as a neutralizer for monosodium glutamate [1]. However, neither the harmfulness of monosodium glutamate nor the benefit of taurine has been proven.

Sources of dietary taurine include shellfish and organ meats such as liver.

Taurine, it is hoped, could eventually be used to reverse liver damage caused by alcoholism or a heavy night's drinking. Tests show that taurine can reverse, or even prevent, the build up of liver fat.

Taurine is one of the active ingredients commonly found in energy drinks such as Red Bull, and in pills which often feature caffeine and/or other stimulant ingredients. The manufacturers claim that taurine enhances the effects of caffeine, but to date there have been no studies performed to confirm this.

Taurine is essential for cats; cat food is supplemented with taurine, which is why other pet foods are not recommended for cats. In cats, taurine "helps maintain good eye health, regulate the heart beat, maintain cell membrane stability, and prevent brain cell over-activity" [2].

Taurine supplements may be important to counteract the effects of human aging on the natural taurine production process. As humans age, hepatic taurine production can fall or fail completely, producing low to no energy; cardiac, digestive, and mental problems; and premature death.

In biomedical research, taurine is also used in buffers for gel electrophoresis of nucleic acids.

Some multi-purpose solutions for contact lenses contain taurine. For example, one provider claims that [3] taurine protects corneal cells from osmotic stress and functions as an antioxidant. Taurine does occur naturally in tears and ocular tissues.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
meh. the news is exaggerating. how could you have a daily intake of Taurine if we don't even know exactly what it does, and it only comes from a couple dietary sources (that most people don't eat daily).

and glucuronolactone may be similar to ghb, but it's NOT ghb.

I do agree, however, that stimulants and depressants should not be combined.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
The scary part is that no tests or studies have been done on red bull or any of these energy drinks. I know after 2 red bulls I'm totally tweaked.

that danish guy who invented it must be laughing right now...even though his own country has banned it.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Meh, I'll stick with GHB thanks. This sounds like the equivalent to marijuana that you see advertised in the back of High Times magazine, where it's $30 for 6 ounces of pot. lol.

Taro

TRIBE Member
^that was the original (as far as I know)..long before the canned company was in existence..

I saw that stuff first 4 years ago in Thailand (where it had been going strong and had already dominated the market for years)

vinder

TRIBE Member
bottled stuff existed first, austrian guy got licensing (or whatever the kind rights to make it are) rights and added carbonated water and marketing.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
vinder said:
bottled stuff existed first, austrian guy got licensing (or whatever the kind rights to make it are) rights and added carbonated water and marketing.
Don't forget his license to print money. Mateschitz is fucking loaded.