• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Record Label Question

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
If I am a producer who get one of my tracks signed to a label, what percentage of the consumer price (the amount the person on the street pays) do I receive as compensation for my work? I’m assuming this would be relative to the specific arrangement ( ie producer is the label owner as well) so it could vary depending on the situation, so I’m just looking for some round about figures.

Thanks in advance

oddmud

TRIBE Member
You can expect anywhere from 25%-50% after the label has recovered costs. Which usually isn't all that much.

If you slowly get a demand for your product. I'd suggest getting a certain amount in advance for any of your tracks, even if it's a small amount. This promises that you won't get absolutely screwed by the record company. If they trust that your product will sell, they shouldn't have a problem with a minimal advance.

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Ok i guess i should have worded it like this.
As a consumer I pay approximately $18 lets say for a 12”realease.
How much of that $18 actually makes it to the producer? I’m guessing not much...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Simon_Paul

TRIBE Member
An average figure would be around $.50/record but again this is after the label breaks even (mainly only if your a new artist). As Oddmud said, once your somewhat established you can almost always get an advance based on the low estimate of units sold.

So yes, 'not much' when you compare it to your $18 retail price but you need to consider that there is a whole process to it. The labels sell to the distro who sells to the recod stores. Each step of the way it gets marked up. Neither the artist nor the label usually profit very much from a release unless it's a super bomb track. Actually nobody really makes very much profit off a release.

I hope that helped.

SP

Shug

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Simon_Paul
Actually nobody really makes very much profit off a release.
Everyone in the chain loses. Let's all switch to CD and make everyone's lives easier. :D

Angus Robinson

TRIBE Member
If you've never put out a record before, and no one knows who you are, you'd be lucky to even have your music pressed on vinyl, let alone worry about how much you'll make from it. You can't look at this as a money-making venture, because it's not.

From a label's standpoint, it's a huge risk signing a track by an unknown artist. Usually unknown artists don't get any advance, but still make royalties off the licensing (CD compilations, ads, movie sountracks, etc).

My suggestlion is just try to get your stuff out there and don't even think about money at this point. If a label's interested in your tunes, that's 99% of the battle! Really, the only producers actually making money at this are the elite 2%, and they didn't get there overnight.

cheers,

-angus

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Just for the record I am not a producer... I just asked the question out of curiosity towards a few thoughts/ideas I have, thanks for the response.

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
I guess my next question would be to the producers "How the hell do you do it"? I'm asuming you must have some type of day job or something cause obvoiusly making beats doesnt pay the rent.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
there aren't too many people 'round these parts that rely upon production to make their living. it'll get you dj gigs, but not a whole lot beyond until you build up your reputation.

what's funny is that any of our local producers, who make next to nothing on their releases, could beat the pants off of their pop music counterparts, who in turn make millions. it's a shame. how did pop become pop anyways¿?

Simon_Paul

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hispeeddub
I guess my next question would be to the producers "How the hell do you do it"? I'm asuming you must have some type of day job or something cause obvoiusly making beats doesnt pay the rent.
Exactly. I have a very full time job/career (which is why I only put out 1 record a year :( ) But I am lucky enough to have extra time off in the winter to work on my first love...music.

I do this because I love it. I love making and sharing music with others. I love the way music makes me feel when I'm listening to, as well as, creating it. I love getting my music pressed because I want others to enjoy it like I do. I could never, ever do this for the money. That's not to say I don't want to get paid for my hard work, just that it isn't and couldn't be the reason I do it.

It's not a job, it's a love and a fulfilling hobby.

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hispeeddub
Sometimes its like i have millions of conversations in my head at once ... does that count? :D I think they call it ADD.....:p
LOL did i mention im dyslexic as well