• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Recommend ONE album from 85-95

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
surprised nobody has mentioned this one ..

I think its in the top 10 All Time , especially production wise and everybody that was all over Dj Muggs's production from Ice Cube to Goodie Mobb

:confused:

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
oeretS said:
lyrically the best hip hop album ever, more amazing when you think how young Nas was when he put this out
I prolly get based for this ...but I think this is one of the most overrated records of all time..

and Mobb Deeps - The Infamous blows this out the water.

:)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oeretS

TRIBE Member
you seem like you know your shit, so i honestly don't know how you could say that - Infamous is a classic, and the beats are better, but Nas weaved poetry and thug life like no one else and made it look easy, and dude was still a teenager when he put that album out. mobb deep i think was more one-dimensional

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
you know what everyone has different taste's . Out of the 10 tracks on that record...I enjoy the NY State Of Mind and Lifes A Bitch

The Mobb Deep record ...was really more up my alley, more rugged , more tracks..Wu Tang on their as well ..

top to bottom beat wise and i guess i can say "grimey" wise I just seem to think that record was the best NY street record to come out around that time..

Im a real big fan of the Piano and Chello loops ala the RZA, Havoc & Muggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG6TWB8aebY

to each their own ..

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
wow how can I forget Drink Away The Pain with QTip from Tribe..

ya if you gave me The Infamous and Illmatic and had to pick one.

id have to go The Infamous all day

one other track I liked of Illmatic was Memory Lane as well

peace,

:D

oeretS

TRIBE Member
Tony Bandana said:
you know what everyone has different taste's . Out of the 10 tracks on that record...I enjoy the NY State Of Mind and Lifes A Bitch

The Mobb Deep record ...was really more up my alley, more rugged , more tracks..Wu Tang on their as well ..

top to bottom beat wise and i guess i can say "grimey" wise I just seem to think that record was the best NY street record to come out around that time..

Im a real big fan of the Piano and Chello loops ala the RZA, Havoc & Muggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG6TWB8aebY

to each their own ..

i hear ya man, infamous is the template for 'grimey'. i just love Illmatic cause even though Nas was a poor kid from queens, you could hear the genius in him even without an education - blah blah i think it's the shit:)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
Tony Bandana said:
surprised nobody has mentioned this one ..

I think its in the top 10 All Time , especially production wise and everybody that was all over Dj Muggs's production from Ice Cube to Goodie Mobb

:confused:

x 1,000,000 this is one of 3 hip hop albums I still listen to. the other two are black sunday and 36 chambers.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
Tony Bandana said:
I prolly get based for this ...but I think this is one of the most overrated records of all time..

and Mobb Deeps - The Infamous blows this out the water.

and common's ressurection blows both out of the water, lyrically speaking.

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
possibledj said:
x 1,000,000 this is one of 3 hip hop albums I still listen to. the other two are black sunday and 36 chambers.

ya man, I remeber going across the boarder to Niagra Fall in the States and buying cassettes and records in the malls and that..

I really lucked out I thought when I bought Cypress Hill there..I didnt know anything about them just thought they had a cool name..and when I heard it I thought it was the best unique shit I heard since Licensed To Ill.

they were ontop there for a bit...Black Sunday was excellent as well

all killer , no filler in the truest form .

technics1200

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
I'm surprised by the lack of EPMD as well. But with that being said, the idea of the thread was that if you could only recommend ONE album, what would it be? Not a listing of all the albums you thought were great or listing a string of albums to show off your knowledge of the era.

That's the tricky part.... you're recommending one album to an anonymous person to say "if you only ever hear one hip-hop album in your life, you *must* listen to this one".

For me, I chose Paul's Boutique for its ahead of the times production. I think it turned mainstream hip-hop on it's ear and changed the way people think about music-production. It's also got a few tracks that capture the essence of humor in hip-hop during the era. I also really appreciated how the programming seemed to have some intent behind it... it flows from end to end, no need for skipping tracks or listening to them in another order.

I can honestly say that if someone came to my house and asked me to pull out one album and play it, end to end, Paul's Boutique would be it. Just a really impressive piece of work from a legendary genre-busting crew.

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
Rude1_247 said:
I'm surprised by the lack of EPMD as well. But with that being said, the idea of the thread was that if you could only recommend ONE album, what would it be? Not a listing of all the albums you thought were great or listing a string of albums to show off your knowledge of the era.

That's the tricky part.... you're recommending one album to an anonymous person to say "if you only ever hear one hip-hop album in your life, you *must* listen to this one".

For me, I chose Paul's Boutique for its ahead of the times production. I think it turned mainstream hip-hop on it's ear and changed the way people think about music-production. It's also got a few tracks that capture the essence of humor in hip-hop during the era. I also really appreciated how the programming seemed to have some intent behind it... it flows from end to end, no need for skipping tracks or listening to them in another order.

I can honestly say that if someone came to my house and asked me to pull out one album and play it, end to end, Paul's Boutique would be it. Just a really impressive piece of work from a legendary genre-busting crew.
great thread man.

cheerz,

slimm

:D