1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Recommend me some phono cartridges

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Jul 30, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I use the old Stanton 680EL disco cartridges and styli on my 1200's but I think they need to be retired. I need something with good dynamic range and pretty durable, although not extremely durable as these will only be for home use.

Any recommendations?

2. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

Shure White Labels *drool* [​IMG]

3. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

White labels are my fave DJ needle but...........

Otofon Reds all the way. Way better dynamic range than a DJ needle. Classy, top specs, and yes, still durable:

[​IMG]

2M Red

4. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

vinyl is deader than disco

5. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

for home use, I'd recommend the Stanton Discmasters.
    "Ideal for daily playback" so the good thing about them is that they dont require a lot of weight and wont wear down your records.
    Stanton Magnetics

false. in some genre scenes, yes. but there is still a lot of good stuff being put out on wax outside of the 4/4 side of things. and either way, its pretty irrellevent given hes not looking for vinyl resellers, looking for needles. even Serato dj's need needles. although in Alex's situation, Im guessing he's looking to be able to listen to records he already owns.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  6. le bricoleur

le bricoleur TRIBE Member

Double true. I have an 2M blue for listening to jazz. Disco would benefit from its soundstaging abilities given that most disco was made with live bands or orchestras (see: Salsoul).

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i bought 8 vinyl 12"s the other day.

8. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

No, you just don't belong in this thread.

9. SolChild

SolChild TRIBE Promoter

10. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

^ that looks like a sculpture almost