• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Recommend me a lounge

zoo

TRIBE Member
Hi, my friend wants me to find a bar/lounge/club that plays decent house, and has both sitting areas and dancing areas. Not something 'clubby' like Guv or This Is London.

She apparently liked the atmosphere at "Lily Lounge" but not the music / DJ.

I've been considering Beba, and State Theatre, but since I don't live in Toronto I haven't been able to go to either to check them out. I only chose them based on their Eye magazine listing, which is brief at best.

Can anyone recommend a place or two, and maybe a description of the atmosphere + music?

Oh yeah, and no "top 40" bars like C Lounge please :) For having such a nice website, that place was nothing more than an empty hallway with no decor, it was really dissapointing.

deevah

TRIBE Member
check out what's playing @ andy poolhall

from eye mag: ANDY POOLHALL Dub & Beyond: Version Xcursion.

definitely could be up your alley

it's a poolhall in the back but has some great 60s retro furniture in the lounge up front - reminiscent of andy warhol. Small side dancefloor. Sound isn't bad, isn't over-powering. But i've never been there on a sat nite to know what the crowd is like

MoFo

TRIBE Member
State is nice if she likes pretention, cokeheads and live house.

I like the decor. It's really awesome. But yeah, it usually looks like a model bomb exploded in there.

Gotta love those 17 year-olds.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
Oh, and this girl is one of my very good / old friends, and it's her birthday, and she's trusting me out of all her friends to find somewhere to go :)

Usually she goes out to the top40 / meatmarket / dress-up clubs, and regular pubs (who doesn't I guess?).

So please, where else is a good choice for a Saturday night?

So far I'm considering:

State Theatre
Andy Poolhall (although Version Xcursion is dub isn't it?)
The Lab (though I think sunny might be right)

octo

TRIBE Member
how many people?
you could check the upstairs of the rivoli. good mix of tunes, pool tables, seating. if you wanna shake it. you could go downstairs for the bump 'n hustle party.

a friend of mine is celebrating her bday next saturday and i think i'm going to suggest Foundation Room although i've never been. maybe i'll scope it out on wednesday

you might also want to check out gypsy co-op. plenty of seating at the front and if you want to dance you head to the back.

also this saturday afro-funk-tropical jazz-soul-reggea in the Ballroom at the Gladstone hotel. lots of dancing! not so much seating.

last saturday i was in montreal and found the perfect bar.
dark mahogany walls and tables, very classy without being pretentious. two rooms. one with a rectangular bar in the middle of the room and some slightly elevated seating areas. big openings to the other room that featured more seating and a small dance floor and a dj playing deep house. Le pub Quartier Latin. I loved it and wish there were something like it in TO. (there was also a room in the back with one pool table)

s1k

TRIBE Member
byrd or wilde indigo. maybe even octopus lounge on the right night if u want a little more dancing...and wild indigo if u want less dancing...byrd is right in the middle.

zoo

TRIBE Member
so we went to State Theatre last night, and here's the "review"

GOOD:

-it looks nicer than most places
-some of the "house/progressive" they played from 10pm - 12am was decent, but it was all old, tired, played out tracks .. and you don't drop celeda's underground at 11pm in a half empty bar with no dancefloor

BAD:

-$20 Cover
-lots of dudes everywhere
-$6 / beer before tip
-totally uneven soundsystem
-the place is a giant hallway
-12am - 2am "old school hiphop" = young mc, black sheep, and naugthy by nature .. i don't consider this to be old school hiphop .. this is "cliche white kid bar hiphop" ... and the mixing was nonexistant, i was waiting for a mix out on one song, and after trying to cue (with incoming channel on) but missing the drop -4 times- the guy just killed the old track mid-verse and slapped the new one in ... sigh

UGLY:

most people were very 'try hard hurtin' trendy ..
trucker hats like they're going out of style (some of it had to do with a bar promotion, but not all of it)
cowboy boots galore

overall, i probably wouldn't go back unless
a) they drop cover from $20 to $5 or $0
b) more girls start going

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
so we went to State Theatre last night, and here's the "review"

GOOD:

-it looks nicer than most places
-some of the "house/progressive" they played from 10pm - 12am was decent, but it was all old, tired, played out tracks .. and you don't drop celeda's underground at 11pm in a half empty bar with no dancefloor

BAD:

-$20 Cover
-lots of dudes everywhere
-$6 / beer before tip
-totally uneven soundsystem
-the place is a giant hallway
-12am - 2am "old school hiphop" = young mc, black sheep, and naugthy by nature .. i don't consider this to be old school hiphop .. this is "cliche white kid bar hiphop" ... and the mixing was nonexistant, i was waiting for a mix out on one song, and after trying to cue (with incoming channel on) but missing the drop -4 times- the guy just killed the old track mid-verse and slapped the new one in ... sigh

UGLY:

most people were very 'try hard hurtin' trendy ..
trucker hats like they're going out of style (some of it had to do with a bar promotion, but not all of it)
cowboy boots galore

overall, i probably wouldn't go back unless
a) they drop cover from $20 to $5 or $0
b) more girls start going

PLS tell me cowboy boots are not going to make a come back....PLEASEch33se

lucky1

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
take a stroll down queen street on a Sunday.. everywhere I heard clip clop, and it wasn't chicks, it was dudses in cowboy boots! too much!

kyfe

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:

sorry dude in the fall when i was in Europe is was part of the fashionista army's wardrobe in both London and Paris, the wife bought a nice pair in camden with rainbow butterfly stiching and she loves them.