• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Recommend me a Laptop...

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
So the time has come to upgrade my laptop.

Both the wife and I have tablets, so really what I am looking for is something to store media (music, movies, tv shows), run itunes from with hdmi to connect to tv.

Some light web stuff, and remote desktop to log in to work remotely.

Looking to spend in the $1,000 range, is this something feasible?

I was looking @ thinkpad, but they don't have hdmi. I like the rugged build of them though....

Stop Bill C-10

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Based on your main requirements and streaming from itunes to the TV, I'd think about going with a cheaper desktop PC with more storage and an AppleTV.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
I got a Dell 15R Special Edition, paid under $1000 and it has awesome specs.

3rd Gen i7
8 Gigs of Ram
Full 1080P display
2 Gig dedicated Video
1TB HD + 32gig mSata Intel Rapid Start Technology - I am replacing this to a bigger mSata card for an OS / Applications drive.
HDMI
4x USB 3.0
Backlit Keyboard.
etc..

Seriously, nothing wrong with this machine except it is not as small as the new ultrabooks.

Jay

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
As far as PC Laptops go for around $1k.... I've heard good things about Samsung but have no first-hand experience. Sony makes a great laptop but their support/service is shitty... Take a look at a Vaio before you do anything.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
asus-ux-zenbook.jpg

Asus Zenbooks OWNZ YOU ALL

derek

TRIBE Member
i have a zen book and love it.

if you're going to be watching a lot of video on through hdmi though, i recommend a laptop with a regular hdmi connection; the micro hdmi connector on the zen is flimsy. i get excellent video quality, it's just on occasion there will be a line the interlaces with the video and then disappear, it's almost imperceptible (almost). i've isolated it the the micro connector.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Got myself a Dell Vostro 3550 last year as a laptop for DJing. Could be a Maytag for all I care. Was priced right through work and it does the job well for the use case I have.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I got it as an open box from futureshop. 1200 seems too expensive, either way it's been pretty good so far. Battery lasts all night on idle. Wow that one doesnt even have the same size HD same model/look though.

Last edited:

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I need a new one too, some advice would be helpful.

2 requirements: run traktor and play 1080p media smoothly through an HDMI to TV.

Is there a minimum requirement to do 1080p that I should be paying attention to? I really want no issues here.
Why not get a Boxee Box for your TV (it's pretty cheap) then either hook up an external to it, or have one on your network. That way you can always have it connected. It also rules for Netflix and I use it for watching all NHL games in HD through GameCentre.

And as for Traktor, I would really suggest a Mac. I use a PC everyday for work, and don't hate the platform, but for playing music live the stability just isn't there for me. An entry level Macbook or Air won't break the bank, even a used one would be decent.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
re: Boxee Box, I wasn't really wanting to constantly transfer files from the computer to something else to in order to play media. Wanted something singular to keep my library in one place.

And with Traktor I really just want a computer that can handle playback without clicks and pops etc. I won't be gigging with it much at all. So because of my relatively minimal needs I thought I could just get a ~ $600 PC at Best Buy but it's looking like I'll need a slightly better rig

videotronic

TRIBE Member
you could probably find a suitable used mac for around what you'd pay for a cheap PC plus tax at a store...

just sayin...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I love my thinkpad X series and when this one dies (if it ever does) I am going to get another, perhaps the carbon fiber one...

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
re: Boxee Box, I wasn't really wanting to constantly transfer files from the computer to something else to in order to play media. Wanted something singular to keep my library in one place.
You could always stream them from your computer or a networked hard drive to the Boxee Box, that's what I do. I have a 2TB external hooked up to the router that functions as a media server, but if I've just grabbed something and it's on my MacBook, which is shared with the network, it's super easy to browse and stream. And the Boxee Box uses Airplay so if there a video or music I'm playing on my phone and I want to throw it up on the screen, it's as easy as one click. Are you saying you want your entire media library on a notebook?

oeretS

TRIBE Member
Are you saying you want your entire media library on a notebook?

frankly I don't know what I'm saying, I've hit a crossroads with my setup and have to figure out the best plan going forward. Thanks for the info, my interest is piqued

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Build a little NAS (or by one) and have it tucked away somewhere.. all computers and media boxes will be able to access it and you can setup some backup options and shit too.

Jay