1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Recommend me a bike (affordable)

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by slice, Jun 4, 2010.

1. slice

slice TRIBE Member

Thinking of getting a bike today. I don't want anything expensive or fancy. Just something to get me to work and back, and for the occasional ride by the lake, trails, etc.

Thoughts on CCM? Noticed a few on sale at CT that were right up my budget.

Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated! Gracias!

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

search some of the better bike shops for last year's models. sometimes you';ll find good deals on a great bike.

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I personally would avoid CCMs because they are heavy, and not very good for distance rides.

1) Keep your eyes on craigslist for brand names like trek, or specialized, and look for a "hybrid" bike. Get good locks.

2) Sometimes try the pawn shops, again looking for brand names.

3) Go see I_bRAD at the Bike Joint on Harbord, he can probably sort you out

4. depraved

depraved TRIBE Member

For the sale price $ (+taxes) CT is charging for a p.o.s. CCM (likely badly assembled -- which you may also have to pay for?), you may be better off getting a used bike off craigslist.

5. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Do the environment a favour and buy used! Check Craigslist or Kijiji, or hit up Shannen at Red Arrow on Kensington or George on Augusta just north of Baldwin - both will often have quality recycled bikes at reasonable prices. I bought my 1970s model Miele from Shannen 3 years ago, have ridden the hell out of it and it's still in kickass shape.

6. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

^^ good idea. there's also mike the bike.

7. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

I picked up at Trek 4500 this year, used from a friend. Paid 250 bucks for it. I think they run about 5-600 new. Great city, bike, been using it to get to work as well as hitting the DVP trails:

Trek 4500 Reviews

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

After having my Giant stolen last year, I bought the Schwinn Circuit XT 700C Hybrid Bike from Canadian Tire. It gets me to work and back every day, haven't had any problems with it, and only paid $260 for it (on sale).

Truth be told I'm actually much happier with it than I was with my Giant Rincon. Plus I don't stress about it getting stolen when it's locked up some where. It's a super light, and FAST bike!

9. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

That looks sick!

10. eddie

eddie TRIBE Member

costco has a rocky mountin insight 3 for 499.99 all shimano deore parts so great bike for the bang.

11. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

[​IMG]

12. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i always recommend used if it's your beater for around the city. most shops can hook you up with a decent frame and hybrid the wheels (if it's a mountain bike frame). $250.00 would get you something very decent, you could certainly get something for less too.

cycle solutions at kingston road and main st have hooked me up nicel several times in the last 20 years.

13. Hybrid

Hybrid TRIBE Member

MEC is having their bike fest this weekend details here.

14. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

ooooohh...i need help *dons doe eyes and short skirt*

Need a bike mostly for leisure and to pick up some light groceries. Lightweight is a must and something that doesn't make me feel like i'm riding on stilts. I test drove the KHS 150 last year and I think it'll do but hoping for something used instead. Must have a basket. Matching bike & helmet preferred.

Any other makes/models you bike enthusiasts can suggest?

15. derek

derek TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

shouldn't be hard finding 'fire engine' red helmet.

joking aside. the used bike shops can help with your requirement too, plenty of qulaity used bike with basket attachments. although i won't guarantee a matching helmet.

the mec bike fest is a good deal too.

16. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

What does affordable mean to you?

17. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

I bought a couple-years-old Norco Scrambler that I found on Craigslist for $120. They retail for around $500-$600 new. It's been amazing for the past 2 years, no complaints, and I'm not usually too worried about it when I lock it up. It's super light, it's a little beat-up, but I've been extremely happy with it.

18. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I'm gonna check this out. I need a beater for my commute to work. First I have to invent a time machine so I can go into the future, cause' bikefest in TO is JULY 3 ;)

19. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

this is YOUR bike!!

20. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Try to avoid wheels that look like this. Spokes are good. The cooler they look, the weaker they are for the most part unless you're looking at spending a grand on a wheelset.

Used bikes are a hot commodity in the city. I don't have any. Most places don't really have that many if any right now. Good suggestions so far though. Bike Pirates is another one to check out at 1292 bloor W. They're building a bunch tonight as I type this and when they open their doors tomorrow at noon they'll probably go fast. And cheap.

Some of the more expensive ones at crappy tire aren't terrible if you get them set up properly by a bike shop (don't be surprised when they tell you it's a two week waiting list for repairs) and the older supercycles, CCMs and raleighs are not the same as what you're getting at crappy tire today- they are 100 times as good. There's a reason they're still around 30 years in. That 30 year old supercycle in good shape for 200 is a better deal than the brand new supercycle for 200. Emphasis on good shape, some of those older bikes can be quite a money pit if you don't know what to look for. Any decent shop should be able to give you an idea what it would cost to get going if you can take it there on a test ride.

Yard sale season is now too. Check em out. I've seen some pretty sweet scores from yard sales.

Expect to spend 150-250 on a decent used bike, expect to spend 3-400 on a decent new bike. Don't forget you might want extras like fenders, bell, light, racks, helmet and like Alex mentioned a good lock is important unless you'd only like to keep your bike for one ride. Helmet's aren't mandatory, but a bell, horn, or gong is and front (white) and rear (red) lights are required from 30mins before sunset to 30mins after sunrise. Don't let the cops tell you otherwise and definitely don't give them your driver's license if they pull you over. All you are required to provide is your name and address. Verbally is fine.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  21. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Hey I-Brad - Do you know if you can still get XT Top Shifters? Or have they gone the way of the dodo bird?

and, do bike shops do trade in's?

I have a Brodie Brat and the angles/dimenions don't work for my style anymore.

Thanks

22. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Definitely not new. Also known as the best shifters ever. I have a few sets but they're not for sale. those are an ebay or craigslist find usually.

It's getting harder to find high end 7 or 8sp cassettes to go with if you're looking to use them in SIS mode. the best 7sp you can get easily is LX. 8sp is more common, but depends on your range requirements. I wanted 12-32 last time I bought one and I had a choice between a cheapy cheap one or XTR, which is like 200 retail.

23. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

got my bike! world look out!!!