• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Recommend cool shit to do in NYC

diablo

TRIBE Member
So I'm heading to NYC next month, and I'd like some ideas for cool stuff to do. If you've been to New Jack, make some recommendations.

I need:

- indie rock clubs/nights
- cool electronic/downtempo clubs/nights
- anything cool that not everyone knows about *that's worth going out of the way for* (i.e. don't send me on a cross-town subway ride for "a really good BLT")

Okay, GO!

Lit and Orchid Bar on Fridays both have indy rock nights and are pretty darn popular

And Sway on Sundays is a Morrisey tribute night that is hosted by Chloe Sevigny and Benjamin Cho and full of indyrock scenesters... Free to get in, and I saw Karen O. when I was there last time...really chill, people aren't buggin.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kate

TRIBE Member
Dam That SnarkEE Kid said:
Lit and Orchid Bar on Fridays both have indy rock nights and are pretty darn popular

And Sway on Sundays is a Morrisey tribute night that is hosted by Chloe Sevigny and Benjamin Cho and full of indyrock scenesters... Free to get in, and I saw Karen O. when I was there last time...really chill, people aren't buggin.
Any more good places you can think of steevee? My boyfriend and I are heading down on Friday and I know we want to get dressed up get wasted and go dancing at least 1 night but I'm worried about places to go...afraid that msshapes is going to be too young? HELPPPPP

misshapes is definitely a younger crowd, and i dont know if you'd *love* dancing there, but its definitely a lot of fun...

but i'd probably recommend MOVIDA, the bar formerly across from misshapes before misshapes moved, the crowd is a little older, the bar is more nautical, and it seems like where the misshape kids go when they grow up a bit. haha.

also, there are sometimes really fun nights at PIZZA BAR, but it depends on what night/weekend...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Movida
28 Seventh Ave. So., New York, NY 10011
between Bedford and Leroy Sts.

Is Don Hill's Saturday-night MisShapes party too much glam and not enough rock for you? Then head over to the intergalactic rock club Movida for the Robot Rock soiree. With a consistent string of special guests—including the Strokes, Ryan Adams, Kings of Leon and the Rapture—it's safe to say that the GBH crew has struck rock-party gold again. — EJ Samson
i definitely liked movida, but why go out in new york when you can just read the amazing comedy stylings of the tribe board... omg everyone in this thread is soooo funny, wow you guys really outdo each other!!!!!

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
Smith St. (b/w Atlantic and Union) in Brooklyn has all of the up and coming restaurants. all the young chefs you apprenticed at big manhattan restaurants are opening restaurants on Smith because the rent is cheaper.

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
Dam That SnarkEE Kid said:
misshapes is definitely a younger crowd, and i dont know if you'd *love* dancing there, but its definitely a lot of fun...
hit misshapes for sure even though you'll be twice everyone's age (well, the girls at least). everyone is hot and the music is always good. just be prepared because i think they have a dresscode for the guys that says they can't allow anyone in if they can see your eyes through your bangs. try and get your picture taken with madonna to immortalize the night on cobrasnake.

more things to do:

hit cbgb before it closes but don't expect anything spectacular

get loaded at marsbar with your buddies before going out or something (nobody ever needed a good reason to do this)

dessert/coffee at veniros (it's worth the wait in line)

also, fuck billyburg man that part of brooklyn is full of stock brokers and lawyers trying to re-live their youth. alphabet city is blowing up right now so just head there and follow your ear drums or the lines of spilled blow

"avenue c is tha muthafuckin' place to be!"

kmac

TRIBE Member
Mephisto said:
just be prepared because i think they have a dresscode for the guys that says they can't allow anyone in if they can see your eyes through your bangs. try and get your picture taken with madonna to immortalize the night on cobrasnake.[/i]
<3

kate

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the tips guys...i thought Movida looked great, there was somewhere else i wanted to go too...I don't really love going to places where I feel old, I would rather go somewhere where I AM the young hot person and not vice versa!!!! (Plus we're going for Jesse's 31st birthday and yes he looks young but not that young). STeevee I knew you would have some good recommendations.

We're going to the River Cafe for dinner on Saturday night (rommmmmnatico!) and then I guess we'll go wherever. Need somewhere good to go Friday night for dins.

Muffin

TRIBE Member
I just got back from New York last weekend, I wish this thread had been around before I left!

(although, I had an amazing time anyway) :)

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
kate said:
We're going to the River Cafe for dinner on Saturday night (rommmmmnatico!) and then I guess we'll go wherever.
i suggest the clichéd empire state building at night followed by a carriage ride in Central Park. the ride is short and smells like horse, but it's still romantic in a kitchy way.

b

kate

TRIBE Member
le bricoleur said:
i suggest the clichéd empire state building at night followed by a carriage ride in Central Park. the ride is short and smells like horse, but it's still romantic in a kitchy way.

b
He's turning 31, not 51!!!!

I realize that dinner at the river cafe is kinda-almost-super-ch33se cheesy-romantico but a good friend of ours also said it was one of the best meals he's EVER had, so I'm sold! But by all means after that I want to go out get dressed up and get wild, not hang out uptown.

Right now I'm leaning towards going to Movida on Saturday night, but our dinner rezos are for 10, so chances are we won't be there till 1-I hope its not a bitch to get in!

this is not even a lie

but i only go to new york so i can get my picture on the misshapes website, lastnightsparty.com and cobrasnake

so far its two on each, but i am going for a hattrick.

lit, orchid bar and the darkroom are all wicked friday night parties, and where all the diorhomme-subscribing scenesters go... and yeah, i'd suggest movida, it has a cute nautical theme

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
go back in time and check 6 hubert st. (one of my favourite nights ever.)

then visit the baxter building, four freedoms plaza, avengers mansion and the spot on the brooklyn bridge where the green goblin killed gwen stacy.