1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Recommend a Tailor - 2010 edition

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Klubmasta Will, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

i know there are other tailor threads from the past, but the last dude that i found from a previous thread is apparently gone, as i learned when i found his boarded up shop the other day.

can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced, tailor in the downtown area? convenient parking would be nice, but not necessary.

i need someone to do pretty basic things like hemming jeans and darting shirts to more complex things like taking in suits after significant weight-loss (not just taking in the waist and sides, but perhaps a more systematic method of making the entire suit smaller) and, depending on cost, making shirts.

any suggestions???

2. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

Queen Cleaners on Queen Street just west of Brock.
    they can take care of all that stuff aside from making new shirts (so any alterations, hemming, resizing, edits, etc), with reasonable pricing and quality work.
    Google Street

3. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Not sure of the name, but there's a good tailor on Harbord just west of Bickford park. North side. (harbord/crawford ish)

4. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

There's a guy based in Hong Kong who shows up a couple of times per year and takes out a hotel room for a couple of days. He does made to measure shirts and suits, you choose the material and there's a fitting etc. The shirts are something like $65, suits $800. Some guys around the office have done it and it's high quality. I'm trying to find out when he's back this summer, it's a total word of mouth thing

5. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

maxwell clothiers. i'll try to remember to post in this thread when he comes back to toronto next.

maxwell is a massive factory of chinese and vietnamese tailors. the cost is about 3-5 times what it would be in vietnam or kowloon, but it's still a great bargain considering you get made-to-fit shirts.

i would not get a suit made there, as suits generally require several re-alterations and maxwell's doesn't do re-alterations as they just take your sizes, make the clothes and then mail them to you.

their shirts come out pretty good without re-alterations, and they fit way better than anything you can get off the rack.

ever since i got my first tailored dress shirt, i won't wear anything else. i can't wear my other dress shirts, even expensive ones that i've had darted. it just doesn't make sense to wear shirts that have so much stupid extra material bunching up at the waist.

p.s. thanks for the tailor recommendations, y'all. keep 'em coming! i'll go to the one with the most convenient location after work today. :)

6. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

thanks !