• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Recommend a Foreign Movie Thread

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
I'm trying to introduce different types of foreign films to a friend.

I've tried the easily recognizable titles such as:
-Run Lola Run
-Princess & the Warrior
-Hero

Can anyone name a few other good ones?
Thnx

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Make people watch Delicatessan! It's easy: just tell them it's by the makers of Amelie, which is true. Then watch them squirm and the post apocalyptic cannibalistic carnival gets into full swing!

crazygirl

TRIBE Member
Dirty Pretty Things is fucking FABULOUS!

I would recommend it to everyone. It stars the girl from Amelie and a male actor from somewhere in Africa (Nairobi maybe). They are both illegal immigrants in the UK and are trying to survive.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

FoxyM

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
Make people watch Delicatessan! It's easy: just tell them it's by the makers of Amelie, which is true. Then watch them squirm and the post apocalyptic cannibalistic carnival gets into full swing!
LOL! I have to watch that again, it's been way too long. I think I even have a copy of it at home!

dyad

TRIBE Member
Y tu Mama Tabien

rollicking romp through mexico that persues the touching relationship and sexual dynamics of an older woman and two young men

stars that guy who plays che guevara in the motorcycle diaries

literally translates to "And your mother too" as if you needed a better reason to see it

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by marcinm
The Three colours (red, white, blue)..

all are amazing movies :)

That's what I was going to post! :mad:

and E Tu Mama Tambien is a fantastic movie (I think I spelt it right)

Another good one is Like Water for Chocolate.

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
My friend has certain expectations when watching movies and doesn't understand the subtlety and distinction of each culture, I just wanted to enlighten him.

We recently watched a Japanese movie and he kept on saying how American it was, due to the few scenes which had similar filming techniques.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dyad
Y tu Mama Tabien

rollicking romp through mexico that persues the touching relationship and sexual dynamics of an older woman and two young men

literally translates to "And your mother too" as if you needed a better reason to see it

ahh, beat me to it.

and that's the extent of my foreign film knowledge

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Galactic Phantom
My friend has certain expectations when watching movies and doesn't understand the subtlety and distinction of each culture, I just wanted to enlighten him.

We recently watched a Japanese movie and he kept on saying how American it was, due to the few scenes which had similar filming techniques.

Japanese... ah. My favourite foreign genre would be asian gore films. So much blood and freakery.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Valentin (should be still at the theatres). About a Argentinian kid growing up in the 60's, somewhat in the vein of Cinema Paradiso and Central Station, both of which I really recommend.

FoxyM

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dyad
Y tu Mama Tabien

I saw this in February. It was okay. I was kind of disappointed because the back of the box suggested that we'd be getting a little bit more. Also, I'm not sure the translation was right on.

The part I liked about this movie was that they're travelling across Mexico (you get a bit of a feel for the country from the movie).

ginsu

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
Brotherhood of the Wolf

This movie bugged me. Good action yah, but it was waaaaay too long, and it was trying to be 50 genres at once. ... nevertheless, check it out.

Recent foreign movies? I watched one called Babette's Feast, that won the Oscar back in i think it was '89. Along the lines of Big Night (about food/cooking actually)... liked Big Night better 'tho.

Older, I love anything Kurosawa.

dot.communist

TRIBE Member
Check out

PULSE by Kioshi Kirosawa

A teen horror genre film. The premise is that heaven and hell are both composed of finite space. ...and there's no more room left for any spirits.

So, of course Japanese ghosts choose someplace to haunt that has plenty of space....the internet. It's campy, but the ghost sequences are some of creepiest i've ever seen.

amazing movie.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
I thought the depiction of the friendship between the boys was heart-breakingly realistic. (In Y Mama) The 2 things I didn't like were a) chicks big fake tits adn B) the totally telegraphed ending.

Seconds on Cinema Paradiso and Central Station, both excellent films.

I've seen so many wonderful foreign films, but of course my mind blanks when I try to think of them. Um, well, if you're a film buff at all, love him or hate him, one should really see Lars Von Triers like the Idiots, and of course, Breaking the Waves.