• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Recommend a drip coffee maker?

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I realize half of you will mouth off about how shitty coffee tastes in a drip coffee maker, but drip is what I need. So if you mouth off please also offer a reco :D

I don't need bells and whistles. Preferably I can control brew strength...but even that isn't necessary. Just want it to brew, without sounding like a space launch and the coffee tastes like coffee. Oh and I'd like it to look cute on my counter, so aesthetically not gross is preferable.
We had this one:http://http://www.oster.ca/product.aspx?pgid=1162&pid=2495 and the fecking thing would leak everywhere.

We have this one: http://http://www.cuisinart.ca/cuisinart_product.php?item_id=63&product_id=58&cat_id=2 and about once a month it starts brewing like I put a gadddamn bomb in there instead of coffee grinds and I need to self clean. Once a month is not normal for self cleaning. Daily I'm pretty diligent about wiping shit down on the insides and cleaning the filter well each time so I can't figure out wtf.

Any recos folks? Also I'm not a Keurig person. Tastes like brown water with coffee essential oils. Sure smells good, but tastes of nothing in my opinion.

Thanks in advance!

deep

TRIBE Member
Hello fellow coffee enthusiast,

Cook's Illustrated is good for their reviews, they will only rate something highly recommended, recommended, recommended with reservations or not recommended. So for the former two:

For inexpensive, they recommend the Black & Decker DCM2000 ($22), Braun KF150, Mr. Coffee VBX23.

I have the Black & Decker. That picture above they have is not correct. I have previously owned machines by Krups and Hamilton Beach of greater expense that I don't think did any better a job for the cost and ended up in their not recommended lists.

For more expensive, they high recommend the Technivorm Moccamaster ($240). I like that it looks like a space shuttle launch pad. Things that make coffee should look like things that go to space.

Fast, very simple to operate. Tasters described coffee as “a dynamic and clean cup, flavorful and expressive,” “very good; robust but smooth.” Achieved perfect temperatures for brewing and serving and was the closest of all the coffee makers to reaching the ideal brewing time. Pieces disassemble easily for cleaning. Though not programmable, this machine was so fast and easy to use, we didn’t mind.
I have a Clever Coffee Dripper at work that I like using more than an Aeropress at the office.

It is kind of like drip for a single cup - uses a paper filter, same grind, easy to clean up and control water temperature.

The most flavorful, aromatic coffee is brewed with water between 195 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit, steeped for six minutes, and many people prefer a Melitta cone since it offers control over these variables. The Clever Coffee Dripper ($12.50) is a plastic cone similar to the slightly smaller Melitta, with a couple of improving twists: It has a lid to keep water hotter than the open cone, as well as a shutoff valve that holds back the dripping coffee so that it can steep more fully, as in a French press. But because it uses a regular coffee filter, this device gives you full-bodied coffee without the French press’s sediment. The coffee releases only when you place the cone on a cup, and it stops flowing when you lift it off.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
If you are considering a thermal carafe, then look for a model that does not have any electronics underneath the carafe, only above. Sometimes if you don't have the carafe positioned just right under the brewer, the coffee can overflow the top insulating cap and run down the sides (rare but it happens). If there is electrical underneath, it could ruin the device. If there isn't, you just clean up.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Thanks very much guys! Honestly don't know what the F is up with the Cuisinart one I have. I see it all the time at people's homes or registries. We only use it's basic functions and it's a continued disaster.

An aside, Deep --presumably you subscribe to CI? Worthwhile? I often feel when I spring for a good food mag I like browsing but rarely make more than a dish or two. Other good stuff beyond recipes you enjoy reading in it? Ex how to grow your own fiddleheads? :)

deep

TRIBE Member
I do subscribe. I have to admit I don't use it often but their equipment reviews are very comprehensive and extensive. You might like their best practices approach to recipes and techniques. I'd say it's worth it for $3 bucks a month for the online subscription.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Our old 90$ Cuisinart is almost done after a decade; Is there a drip machine that will turn itself on/off that's the gold standard to replace it?

(that Dutch rocket launcher contraption above looks nifty, but does it have a timer so I can set it to wake me with the aromatics of Arabica beans being brewed? )

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Bought the breville precision brewer on sale at Amazon for 270$, will report back once I have it setup and making all of us in casa de federko fuel sauce

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
Not really the same as drip, but after a bunch of poorly-welded Bialetti stovetop numbers burst on me I tried out the IKEA one (15 quid) and honestly, it makes just as good a brew as the Bialetti, minus the exploding welds around the brew chamber.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders