• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Recommend a DJ controller for Traktor

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I already own a full version of Traktor and the Audio 10 USB interface, and I was thinking a buying one of those jog wheel controller thingies for portability and to experiment with... It seems most of the Traktor controllers from NI also come with software and stuff bundled in, which adds to the price.

Is there a way I can buy a third party controller, or an NI controller for cheaper that will work with my existing Traktor software, without having to get the software included?

New or used. Any suggestions or recommendations as for models or brands?

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I already own a full version of Traktor and the Audio 10 USB interface, and I was thinking a buying one of those jog wheel controller thingies for portability and to experiment with... It seems most of the Traktor controllers from NI also come with software and stuff bundled in, which adds to the price.

Is there a way I can buy a third party controller, or an NI controller for cheaper that will work with my existing Traktor software, without having to get the software included?

New or used. Any suggestions or recommendations as for models or brands?
I personally love the X1; however it's best used if you're going to auto sync your tracks. I have on mine reprogrammed them so that I have a set of buttons that do tempo changes. They work like the old Denon CD DJ push button pitch control. Not ideal but it works. I've been able to go back to back with another DJ who's playing CDs.

If you're playing old disco records it will take you a bit of time to go through them and grid them all so they sync. But I played an 80s music set on Traktor last year and it worked great.

MartyMcFly

TRIBE Promoter
I own the traktor S4 which I used for a while. I liked it cuz it was portable for those times when you wanted to bring an all in one unit somewhere. I bought the Z2 for my at home mixer which has the traktor sound card built in and basically I stopped using the S4 controller after that purchase. The S4 has a plastic feel to it, but worked great and was uber portable. I did find the buttons kinda small but you manage. They also have a smaller version call the S2. I've never tried one of those.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'm with Marty, I use the S4 and as far as traktor goes it's the perfect companion and very portable

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
If you want something to just mess around Traktor with, the VCI-100 could had for cheap. It is everything you need since you have the audio card already. Yes it is old but they are built like tanks and map to Traktor Easily with one of many mappings already made. Only thing that irked me was the short pitch faders. Also, if you do grab one, be sure it has the 1.4 firmware that enables thd HD pitch and jogs.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I use an S4 and the jog wheels especially are very plastic feeling, but the mixer portion, particularly the EQ and filter knobs have a nice feel to them. The faders are decent too.

Decent piece of kit.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories