• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Recommend a decent air mattress for camping

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Why do air mattresses suck so much? All my experiences with air mattresses when camping involve waking up in the middle of the night to find it half deflated, or worse - fully deflated.

I slept on one of those self inflating thinner models which I found OK but they only seem to come in single, narrow, sizes!

Any advice or recommendations on an air mattress that will last more than a couple of years before it dies?

Stop Bill C-10

Liability

TRIBE Member
Why do air mattresses suck so much? All my experiences with air mattresses when camping involve waking up in the middle of the night to find it half deflated, or worse - fully deflated.

I slept on one of those self inflating thinner models which I found OK but they only seem to come in single, narrow, sizes!

Any advice or recommendations on an air mattress that will last more than a couple of years before it dies?

We bought a reactor 6.5 at MEC. I would say they are more comfortable than the thicker air mattresses. They have velcro to allow for joining multiple matts. We attach 3 together, when car camping, to provide the equivelant of a queen bed.

We also had deflation problems and puncture problems with standard air mattresses.

MEC Reactor 6.5 Sleeping Pad (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
We bought a reactor 6.5 at MEC. I would say they are more comfortable than the thicker air mattresses. They have velcro to allow for joining multiple matts. We attach 3 together, when car camping, to provide the equivelant of a queen bed.

We also had deflation problems and puncture problems with standard air mattresses.

MEC Reactor 6.5 Sleeping Pad (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Wow! 3 of those would be $360+!!! Yikes!. I see a double there for $175 which is a lot but if it lasts might be worth paying. These are self inflating, right?

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Geezus. Our air mattress was $40 and I find it comfortable enough. Once upon a time people used to camp with sleeping bags and you would set up your tent somewhere that wasn't too hard. lol

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Wow! 3 of those would be $360+!!! Yikes!. I see a double there for $175 which is a lot but if it lasts might be worth paying. These are self inflating, right?

I just bought the double one for 175, and its is the best sleep the lady and i have had while camping pretty much ever.

self inflates, you just undo the little plugs and leave it for a good hour.

memory foam expands and pulls all the air in. then you give a couple of good blows in one side and twist and close, then same for the other side.

We had a sleeping bag open on top of it, super awesome. If you go to MEC, they have them out and open so you can test them out.

Also, we sleep on a queen at home, and felt more than comfortable on the super reactor.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
best part about MEC brand sleeping mats, once they go ya just bring it back in and they replace it or give you store credit for the original price

(this guy's on his 4th mat; soon to be 5th since his current reactor valve went on him on the last morning in temagami 2 weeks ago)

praktik

TRIBE Member
^^ agreed, and long lived. Mine's kicking and its a decade old.

Sprung for one that was slightly thicker/ergonomic... glad i did!

oeretS

TRIBE Member
agreed on thermarest.

Depending on your trip, I might also recommend an inflatable seat - it folds up into nothing and saves you much back and ass discomfort

cycloneslchairfrnt.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought the double one for 175, and its is the best sleep the lady and i have had while camping pretty much ever.

self inflates, you just undo the little plugs and leave it for a good hour.

memory foam expands and pulls all the air in. then you give a couple of good blows in one side and twist and close, then same for the other side.

We had a sleeping bag open on top of it, super awesome. If you go to MEC, they have them out and open so you can test them out.

Also, we sleep on a queen at home, and felt more than comfortable on the super reactor.

I bought this one after trying it out at MEC. It is as comfortable as my bed at home!