• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Recent U.S. travellers, need help.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Hi US travellers.

If you've recently been stateside via air-travel, i'm wondering if they required your passport. All the liturature and documentation on the web says that proof of canadian citizenship is adequate, but i'd like to hear real world experience.

Did they ask you for your passport when you went south?

Have you recently travelled to the states without a passport and without issue?

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
That's not an actual law until the end of 2006. And for ground border crossings it will be necessary to have a passport by the end of 2007.

sam

TRIBE Member
All you need for air travel until 2007 is proof of citizzenship (i.e. citizenship card or birth certificate) aliong with government issues photo ID (i.e. drivers licence or health card). A passport covers both things within one document which is why it's preferred, but at this point not mandatory.

Period.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Yes this is what i've read.. although i'm still concerned that they turn me away from the plane since my passport is expired.

So i'd like to hear some sucess stories from people who've travelled south without one. If there are any.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
Hi US travellers.

If you've recently been stateside via air-travel, i'm wondering if they required your passport. All the liturature and documentation on the web says that proof of canadian citizenship is adequate, but i'd like to hear real world experience.

If you don't have it bring multiple peaces of current ID. If the ID is out of date its of absolutely no value. Its best to have a drivers license plus a birth certificate plus a health card. But you really need to prove both address and citizenship so without a passport a birth certificate becomes pretty much a necessity.

(hint just get the passport if you have a plane ticket you can get one in like 3 days)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SJN

TRIBE Member
sam said:
All you need for air travel until 2007 is proof of citizzenship (i.e. citizenship card or birth certificate) aliong with government issues photo ID (i.e. drivers licence or health card). A passport covers both things within one document which is why it's preferred, but at this point not mandatory.

Period.
yes and no

yes, proof of citizenship is the minimum requirement, however airlines can mandate stricter requirements (i.e., a passport) -- most major carriers don't require a passport, but it is permissible for them to require one -- check with your airline

enjiro

TRIBE Member
ps. always get extra medical insurance when going to the states. ALWAYS. Available at any bank for like $20, or through your travel agent.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
So i'd like to hear some sucess stories from people who've travelled south without one. If there are any.
January of this year I flew into Seattle with only my drivers license, no birth certificate. When I was boarding the plane the airline personnel were fully expecting me to fly back to BC after I was rejected. You just have to talk nicely to them. If you have a birth certificate you have nothing to worry about though.

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
i went to mt.baker from b.c. in a car and had no problems crossing the border with my ontario drivers license and birth certificate. i used the same to travel via airport from toronto to vegas but had problems and ended up missing my flight because of customs. i didn't have a copy of my return flight ticket (klubmasta will had it and had just gone through customs ahead of me), so they didn't think i was going to come back...that's why they held me up. i'm sure the lack of passport didn't help my situation any, but it wasn't the main reason for me being held up. air canada produced a copy of my ticket for customs which satisfied them, along with being finger printed and photographed :eek: hey, if i was u.s. customs i'd probably flag me too ;)

~*...normaste...*~

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i've crossed by air to the US using a birth certificate and a driver's license.
i actually tried to use my health card but she asked me specifically for my driver's license. (i didn't want to use it cuz it had expired, but she didn't even check the back)
this was about 6 months ago when i was waiting for my new passport to arrive.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
I use a passport, so all I can tell you is that it for sure works. Get a passport !

a couple of years ago I travelled to the states with an expired passport - no problem, so I figure the birth cert. will also work.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I flew to San Fran in October with an expired Passport and my birth certificate and had no problems on either end.

swenard

TRIBE Member
LOL! I don't know the ethnic backgrounds of anyone else in this thread, but the only guy I know is not white is also the only guy to have problems at the border(420).

I wonder if it is a trend or just a coincidence.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
swenard said:
LOL! I don't know the ethnic backgrounds of anyone else in this thread, but the only guy I know is not white is also the only guy to have problems at the border(420).

I wonder if it is a trend or just a coincidence.

No I'm very very white and trust me I've had more troubles at the border than just about anyone here. I've been in the cell on three seperate occasions entering the USA.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

swenard

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
No I'm very very white and trust me I've had more troubles at the border than just about anyone here. I've been in the cell on three seperate occasions entering the USA.

I too am a whitey and have spent time in a cell while I watched them take my car apart piece by piece at the Rainbow bridge. But that was pre 9/11.

supakeli

TRIBE Member
I drove down to Seattle from Van and back in September with my Ontario D.L and Birth Certificate and all was fine.
Stryker drove down to Buffalo and flew from there to Seattle and back at the same time with his citizenship card only, I believe, and that was fine too.

vinder

TRIBE Member
if you're flying you need a passport and birth certificate, and a vial of blood to prove you are you. snakes on a plane.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I have flown to the US with only an expired drivers license. as BB said, they don't seem to check the back.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
Hi US travellers.

This has been covered on tribe recently, but to reiterate, Canadians do not currently require a passport to travel to the U.S. They are making it a requirement, and that was scheduled for Dec 2005 but has been postponed till the end of 2006.

I went to Chicago yesterday and my birth cert + health card sufficed, though they prefer drivers license to health card, and prefer passport over all.