• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Reason Question...

elgsixnine

TRIBE Member
I've only been using Reason 2.5 for two weeks and am using it as a soft synth/sequencer rewired into ProTools.... does Reason have the ability to use/import VSt instruments, or is it limited to only the synths that come with the software?

I really really really want to use my MiniMoog plugin in Reason but can't figure out whether it's even possible.

g

beaker

TRIBE Member
maybe you already know this, but you could get the fxpansion vst wrapper and run it as an rtas plug-in in protools.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ludikris

TRIBE Member
as mentioned above.. everything is in a chain..
reason-->protools--->insert fx--->master out

use the rtas wrapper and you should be good to go...

elgsixnine

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beaker
maybe you already know this, but you could get the fxpansion vst wrapper and run it as an rtas plug-in in protools.
Did this a long time ago... however...

Originally posted by ludikrisas mentioned above.. everything is in a chain..
reason-->protools--->insert fx--->master out

use the rtas wrapper and you should be good to go...
... you guys got me thinking...

Because of the processor power required for the MiniMoog within the session I wanted to use it - too many plugins running already - I had to create a new session anyway and was able to play around with a clean mix...

I couldn't get the plugin working with Reason, was hoping to let Reason control the MiniMoog as a midi thru device, this didn't work... but...

I got the MiniMoog working by creating a Midi track inside ProTools and having the output of the Midi track run through the plugin. I should have thought of this before, but my Midi experience has been with Logic and I was trying to avoid using it in ProTools, but hey, it works great!

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!

g

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
ummm.........well.....

They aren't really the same kind of program.

It all depends on what you need your audio software to do for you.

Protools is a very high end professional music production tool.

Ableton Live is software designed towards creating loop based music with live performance applications as well as production.

I wouldn't classify them in the same category so you can't really say that one is better than the other. It just depends what you need them for.

ludikris

TRIBE Member
PROTOOLS - Pro standard for recording and mixing down..
many will argue that you can get just as good a sound out of a logic / cubase mixdown but that's for the ears to decide. Protools is the industry standard.

ABLETON LIVE - allows you to drop and drag loops or raw audio of any tempo into an arrangement or rewired into cubase, logic, and protools yet be insync. It's great for conceptualizing. It has a warp feature that allows you to time stretch ( in four algorhythms ) audio that may be off in time from bar to bar ie.. live samples or vocals.
Never before were you able manipulate some old rock record with a live drummer in it who is off beat here and there into a digital drum machine. You can take a rapper or vocalist and force them to be in sync with your beats.

Protools does none of the above.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders