• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Real meteor/space junk crash caught on tape?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
It's fake, and my guess is for two reasons. First at the 7 second mark right where the meteor makes first impact, if you look at the angle the guy is staring at it, he's still looking at it's origin point, not it's impact point where you would suspect him to look, his reaction seems more to the cue of a sudden explosion which might have been real, but more the result of a setup rather than anything naturally occurring. Second and most importantly because of it’s significance as a clue to the presence of postproduction are the analog vertical scan lines that appear when the dude with the camera falls. Considering the amount of digital format video cameras sold in the last 5 years, these guys having an old analog Hi-8 or VHS-C (the kind of consumer cameras that would be most likely to produce such an artifact during a fall) is unlikely, furthermore, late model analog consumer cameras have sophisticated calibration equipment that would make these kind of lines appearing even more unlikely (time code). If this guy fell with a digital camera, and the tape dislodged off the head momentarily, what would be more characteristic of it would be pixellation, pixel freezing, digital drop-outs and frame freeze. These vert lines were included more for the effect of legitimacy since most of us recognize them as typical of video error, rather than use the more authentic digital errors which would also have the tendency to raise the ire of those suspecting digital manipulation. It looks pretty though, and is probably for some one’s demo reel.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
It's definitely fake.

Most meteorites are composed primarily of iron and on average strike the earth at 17km/s (about 61,000 km/hr) and even the smallest meteorite must be about 30m across when entering the atmosphere in order for there to be any sizeable chunk that doesnt vapourize before landing.

So there are immediately many things wrong with this video
1. speed
1a. it would land too fast to notice, point at, and film it
1b. you would not hear it at the same time you saw it
1c. it would be a brilliant white colour that illuminates the landscape -- not a smoking fireball
2. impact
2a. any ball of iron thats about the size of that truck would leave a crater about 400m wide and have the energy of about half of what fell on nagasaki. ie. the truck and the camera, digital or not, wouldn't survive

BUT IT LOOKS COOL

-jM
A&D

acheron

TRIBE Member
actually, I don't know if you recall the meteorite that City-TV caught going over Toronto...

First off it was burning up and had a trail of black smoke, you could hear it burning as it went - I saw it too. It's been called "The Windsor Incident" as the local tinfoil hat crowd attached some mystery to the event.

...and it took out a trailer park.

But the one we're talking about here is an AD for a PICKUP TRUCK!

ila

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by acheron
actually, I don't know if you recall the meteorite that City-TV caught going over Toronto...
I saw it tear accross the sky right out my bedroom window. It was honestly one of the best things I've seen in my entire life. I still get amped thinking about it.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Kid
uhhh... isn't this a toyota commercial?
yes it is a car commercial...you guys gotta be kidding me? you are actually debating if this is real or not? there is no santa either btw.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Ahh, good to hear it's a commercial then. I've never seen it...anyone have a link to the full thing?

Lobo

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Well it says it is a commercial right on the link that sends it... so I think that was assumed.

I am being that nerd in the SF film who says "oh that's so fake..."

If you want a real debate, I will post my cock and you can discuss whether the scabs are friction or herpes related.

-jM
A&D