1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Real Estate Agents vs Used Car Salesman: The Scum of Society Clashes!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Agent Smith, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

I honestly can't think of a profession that I hate more than real estate agents at this point in my life. They make the buying process more frustrating than anything I have ever experienced.

Die agents... die.

2. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

you should see the real estate process in the UK if you think they complicate things here.

3. SellyCat

SellyCat TRIBE Member

They're barely a rung above pyramid scheme pushers. And it's that shameless insincerity that comes through in their voice.

4. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

real men don't buy property... they take it through conquering, raping and pillaging. real men have no time for contracts and agreements. just take their hearts out and eat them for the rich tasty courage that lies within.

you're a real man, aintcha, colin?

5. preacherman

preacherman TRIBE Member

one way to avoid them is to build a relationship with the seller, if you can. eliminate the middle man and negotiate the would be commission for the agent with the seller on price. You could save a fortune and it's a win win for both parties

6. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

Just as bad in Sydney as all rentals are done through real estate companies. Not to mention, they have auctions for housesand apts. Nothing like inflating the price by having a slimey agent talking up the product to everyone. or using family members to "bid" to up the price.

Or in some cases, convince the owner to sell the property to a family member of the agent at well below market value, then turn around and auction off the property at well above market value.

7. Rataxès

Rataxès TRIBE Member

They are holding onto a dying business model. One of the only things an agent is going to bring to the table is the listing services offered through MLS. They may have some idea about pricing (again, largely derived from MLS and other proprietary agent tools), some presentation tips, and maybe even a few walkthroughs, but I think that most of these roles could be performed by other parties for considerably cheaper.

Some advice I received a longb time ago is remember there are three people in the transaction: the buyer, the seller, and the sales agent. Unlike the buyer and seller who have clear motives, the sales agent can be trusted by neither to act in their best interests.

8. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

that post was all kinds of awesome

9. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

What about politicians and dentists? They need venom too.

10. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

add lawyers and music journalists too!

11. depraved

depraved TRIBE Member

There are good realtors & crappy ones.
    I was lucky to find a very good one.
    I used mine to buy our first place from a couple involved in a messy divorce -- she wanted to move on (sell & get her 1/2), & the husband did not. His negotiating skills came in mighty handy. I also used him years later to sell our place. We were out of town & partying when we got the call that he sold it for our full asking price at a time when the real estate market was oversupplied.

I used him again as a buyer broker for the place we moved into recently. Again, his negotiating skills & knowledge came in handy; there were multiple bids, & the agent who had the listing is a dick.

Not all of them suck. A good one can save you a lot of bullshit. I for one am a big fan of minimal involvement in a real estate transaction.

12. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

agreed ^^^^
    I have a great realtor, whenever something needed to get done he took care of it. The success you have is all about the support you recieve from the people you put in place.

A good realtor and lawyer are musts

13. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

Public and high school teachers by far for me over car and real estate people.

All three are similiar in that they get paid well for very little work (car salespeople to a much lesser degree)

14. green_souljah

You don't think that real estate agents have clauses in the contract to prevent this? Because they do.

Unless you know the people personally and have a heads up on them wanting to sell it. If you see a "For Sale" sign by an agent, you are paying them commission no matter how little they have to do with it.

15. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Yeah not all realtors suck. I have an excellent one.

16. wayne bradbury

wayne bradbury TRIBE Member

I have to agree with Real Estate agents being far worse in Australia, and even worse than that in the UK.

As for used car salemen my father bought a car a year ago that was a 2003 and 2 days after buying it found a service receipt from the previous year in the glove box with the odometer reading 90,000km and when he bought it was about 60,000. He was given a full refund without question when he went back to the dealer. The dealer was bending over backwards offering more money than what my dad originally paid. I guess he didn't want to go to jail.

17. man_slut

man_slut TRIBE Member

Why do they insist on using horrible pictures to advertise themselves?

18. gkb

gkb TRIBE Member

^ because it works - for some odd reason.

19. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

I'm sorry that you had a shitty xp in public school...but for the work teachers do they are seriously underpaid! They are essentially state-paid and systemically under-funded baby-sitters and have the responsibility of educating future generations.

I think they ought to be seen in a much more favourable light than someone who chooses a commission-based sales job.

20. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

that's wierd - I gave you a great referral - someoene who I trust w/ my life- and you go on ragging about agents

could it be that you're trying to circumvent the commission structure?

I agree that the commissions people pay are way too high for the service. 5% to sell a home? that's insane. But it's slowly changing over time. problem is that T R E B (toronto real estate board) is the controlling body who runs the show, and controls who can post on MLS.ca- the only site w/ listings (except for sale by owner.com sites)

as a result, new companies are coming in w/ much lower fees (as low as half a percent) but are being met with TREB's stricter and stricter guidelines of operation, to be forced out

I still say that the agent I gave you is the most honest and reliable person out there.

21. gkb

gkb TRIBE Member

if you don't like paying the 5% commission you don't have to. All you need to do is negotiate it up front. If your real estate agent won't bargain, get a new one. I only payed 3% & the guy I used was one of the best. Totally had my trust and that's not any easy thing to win seeing as I'm a 100% commissioned sales rep in a slimy industry myself.

22. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

which industry?

23. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I work in sales. Not necessarily real estate or automobile, but there's a parallel enough between my industry.

I don't get what the problem is.

Right, the sales person has their interests in mind because they have to make a living, then the buyer or seller interests. What's the problem? Is there selling of something that isn't needed?

The problem with that is you get too many people trying the DIY method that read "..........for dummies" on the internet and think they understand the whole process involved in buying/selling.

I agree with the comments about good and bad salespeople so far.

24. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Don't forget razing.

-jM
    A&D

25. green_souljah

We are all entitled to our opinions, Im not trying to debate how you feel on this one....but...I really don't see them being worked the way they let on, and using your words, they chose to teach, so of course I view them in the same light.

They get paid damn well, my sister and mother are and were elementary teachers; and for the most part agree with my critiques of the teaching industry on the whole.

People are going to write off entire segments of society when they have had negative experiences with only a handful of representatives of that field. Im no better than the next guy for that.