• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Reaktor 5

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
yes. sample yourself!

reaktor is a total cpu hog. i only use it as a synth or whatever if it's on another computer controlled by midi.

much of the time i use it for sound design, making a whole pile of bleeps and squeaks in a session, and then chopping em up and loading them into kontakt for sequencing. it makes it a lot easier to use this way. you don't want to get into making your own synths and stuff right away. just learn how to load up ensembles and sample them for now.

Winick

TRIBE Member
Chiclet: Sent you a private message. I'm a beta tester on the Reaktor project so ask me anything about it. Its a great program, but it still has a long way to go to make it completely self sustaining as a composition environment. Phat has the right idea...

Peace

Winick

Andrew Duke

TRIBE Member
Yep.
Don't dare try to use it during a live set as a plug-in or you'll be choking.
It's awesome as a standalone, though.
My Sit/Stand: Live Humidity album (2000) was 100% done with
running two standalone instances of Reaktor at once.
Andrew

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
I’m just getting into reaktor 5 as well. I bought it a few months back and it is just HUGE. It and Kontakt have become active in basically all my tracks since I bought them. I find that I just love the way it sounds. As for any advice I might have, read the manual. I have read most of it twice and when it comes to building synths I don't have a fighting chance outside of the lessons that come with it. When I first got it I posted here trying to see if some folks wanted to get together and geek it up trying to build synths but I got nothing. Anyone? It would be a for fun kinda thing, time permitting that is.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

patrick.dsp

TRIBE Member
Andrew Duke said:
Yep.
I use many reaktor plugins in ableton during my live shows. never had a problem yet.

as for advice, read the manuals and tutorial guides found online.

Andrew Duke

TRIBE Member
patrick.dsp said:
I use many reaktor plugins in ableton during my live shows. never had a problem yet.

as for advice, read the manuals and tutorial guides found online.
Patrick, what are you running spec-wise for your live shows?
Andrew

patrick.dsp

TRIBE Member
Andrew Duke said:
Patrick, what are you running spec-wise for your live shows?
Andrew
my laptop is 2.0Ghz with 1Gb of Ram if that's what you mean. It’s pretty standard for laptops these days. My reaktors plugins take up less than 4% CPU each, it all depends on how you make them.

If you like, I do teach audio production classes. I could teach you how to use them efficiently to get the sounds you need.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Ran reaktor with custom made .ens live on a p4mobile 1.6 at 24-96 KHZ with drum machine two seq synths, fx, and that sign wave thingie no probs. Used a controller Peavy.

Reaktor is the bomb and one of the best excuses to use software though it runs shit on a mac.

miscreant

TRIBE Member
patrick.dsp said:
my laptop is 2.0Ghz with 1Gb of Ram if that's what you mean. It’s pretty standard for laptops these days. My reaktors plugins take up less than 4% CPU each, it all depends on how you make them.

If you like, I do teach audio production classes. I could teach you how to use them efficiently to get the sounds you need.

Can I get some info on your courses?

Andrew Duke

TRIBE Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Duke
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. DSP

I've been thinking about my above statement since reading what Patrick DSP and others have written and realize now that what soured me on using Reaktor as a plug-in was doing so on my old Compaq Presario lemon laptop. I realize now that I don't think I've ever tried using it as a plug-in on my current laptop (bad memories stayed around I guess :)), so I'm going to start playing around with it as a plug-in at home and see how it goes. I just got so ingrained in using it only as a standalone after those bad experiences with my old lemon laptop. Thanks for the confidence boost, folks!
Andrew

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Andrew Duke said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Duke
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. DSP

I've been thinking about my above statement since reading what Patrick DSP and others have written and realize now that what soured me on using Reaktor as a plug-in was doing so on my old Compaq Presario lemon laptop. I realize now that I don't think I've ever tried using it as a plug-in on my current laptop (bad memories stayed around I guess :)), so I'm going to start playing around with it as a plug-in at home and see how it goes. I just got so ingrained in using it only as a standalone after those bad experiences with my old lemon laptop. Thanks for the confidence boost, folks!
Andrew

Even when i did the live stuff I should if I did not mention it was in stand alone mode. Running it as a vst is another story. Also depending on the midi interface setting your control rate is another factor. OF course if it is not well known by now different configurations such as mother board, cpu, memory, etc will all have a profound effect on performance. I have seen my friend1.6 outperform 2.6Mhz just because the notebook was designed for music.

patrick.dsp

TRIBE Member
I was running it as VST's makes a world of differance cause you can streamline your plugins so much better.

here's a little something that goes along the lines of what i teach in regards to Reaktor, its a great into to working with this amazing program.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Reaktor

this should be enough for most people to get the jist of Reaktor on their own but for people who want guided tour/fast-forward button, well, operators are standing by... ;)

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Reaktor is very quickly becoming my favourite audio app... there's just so much to do in there! and i've barely had a look at the included ensembles.

I've been messing around for a few hours today and managed to put together a drum synth..it's here if anyone wants it... so much fun!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories