• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Re-engineering old cell phones

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Well today is a Saturday and I woke up slightly plastered to an empty house.

Usually there are some dragglers on the floor, my couch, my bed, whatever, that I can talk to. But, well, today proved otherwise. They'd all gone back to Kentucky, the shelter, my parents', or wherever.

So, in underwear and without shirts or pants of any kind, I noticed the keg was still pretty heavy. There were still three cases of unopened beer around. Some bottles of wine, I put those in the fridge. I went outside and cleaned those empties. Headache pretty strong, found a bottle and drank it.

So, while I was cleaning up, I found a drawer in one of my offices that was full of cell phones.

"AHA!" I thought to myself.

Most of them were Telus Mobility phones, where I used to work, ages ago, but one was a "Vodaphone" aka "Softbank" phone from Japan. Aha!

"Let's power this thing up and see what's on there!" I was thinking.

Well of course the battery was dead, and I didn't have the charger; or if I did have the charger, I had no idea where it was.

But my old school used and forgotten engineering skills helped me out, along with an adjustable DC power supply and some internet scoping, I charged that bad baby up and resurrected some memories.

This Japanese bad boy of a phone holds thousands of text messages, and reading through them is like a diary of debauchery. It also reminds me of how much one can learn a language and then forget it. Pictures, text, places, people, food, fun, work, aha, it's all there, like a different life. But, my life.

I found a text that reminded me of the reason I kept the phone in the first place, years ago, purposefully:

"I HATE TO SAY THAT I AM NOT CONFORTABLE WITH U DUE TO UR SEXUAL ORIENTATION. SO, I DO NOT WANT TO SEE U, HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND. THX!!"

Well I mean that is the most polite gay bash I ever received, and typically Japanese. I'm sure if I were Korean or Chinese he wouldn't have included the "K THX" part. I do recall though that those few words at that time did cause me quite a bit of consternation. Now they garner little more than a chuckle and the memory that the guy went on to make those plastic trays that hold chocolates.

But in there I did find a beautiful, wonderful, stunning, photo of Shintaro in my bed.

Aha, I must have taken it in the morning. There is an unrelenting beauty of Asians that entrapts me everytime. I suppose Shintaro was just waking, or perhaps just passing to sleep, but the beauty of those eyes, the unique smoothness of that perfect Asian skin, the beauty that is that form, especially the Asian male form, can, fortunately, never escape me.

And I have all the time, and money, and technology, to help me remember.
Unfortunately I do not have the Shintaros anymore.

-jM
A&D

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
Beautiful!

The morning tinkering through a boozy fog of hangover to the pleasant reminder of bigotry that comes with different cultures to the skip down memory lane of some man-on-man boudoir antics, I was there behind and slightly to the left of you, gazing in my mind's eye with wonderment at what possibilities that mystery phone held.