1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

RCMP spent $14,049 on glow sticks for the G20

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Sep 23, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

The federal government spent almost $20 million — twice the estimated cost — to accommodate RCMP officers in hotels during the G8/G20 summits, according to newly released documents.

The expenditures include a $4.5 million for the security fence around the exclusive Deerhurst Resort in Ontario's Muskoka region, the G8 event host site, along with more than $300,000 for sun-screen and insect repellant for the police guarding the fence.

Also detailed are a $3.2-million single contract for shuttle buses and a $2.2-million car rental bill — for a single day.

The expenditure reports were tabled in the House of Commons in response to a request from Liberal MP Dan McTeague for details on all contracts for goods or services relating to the G20 meetings. He also asked how many of the contracts were sole-sourced.

McTeague said the released material shows the government's "reckless" attitude toward spending for the events.

"This is totally unacceptable," he told reporters Thursday outside the Commons.

“The reams and reams of documents present a very disturbing trend and tale, I think, for Canadians. It suggests there is a very deep and serious problem. There was no accountability or oversight in terms of those expenditures. Money was no object.”

An $85,000 tab is listed for snacks at the exclusive Park Hyatt hotel in downtown Toronto and $68,340 was spent on Nikon cameras, according to the documents. Another $45,000 was spent on binoculars.

In addition, the costs include $1.2 million on condominium rentals, $14,049 for "glow sticks" and more than $13,000 for "miscellaneous textiles, headgear and umbrellas," the documents show.

No final tally has been given yet on the pricetag for Canada's hosting back-to-back summits in Ontario's Muskoka region and downtown Toronto in late June, but the overall cost has been estimated to be about $1.24 billion, including at least $930 million for security.

The Conservative government has defended the estimated cost, saying Canada was in the unique position of hosting back-to-back summits amid a medium-level security threat.

The auditor general's office says a report on the security costs of the G8/G20 summits is scheduled for spring 2011.

Read more: CBC News - Politics - RCMP's G20 hotel bill hits $20M

2. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

how much was the damage caused from rioters ?

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

And some people grinned when Sarkozy said he could do it for less when it's his turn.
    This $300,000 for sun-screen and insect repellant is nuts; how much sun screen/insect repellant is that per person per day, given that most of their bodies were covered???

4. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

big rave!

5. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Someone needs to be held accountable for that shit show. enough is enough this is ridiculous especially that most people are so full of hot air thinking any of this was even remotly justifiable.

6. DJ Vuvu Zela

you have to hand it to the Harper government - being able to create a wedge in the country with the long gun registry's cost of over a billion dollars in it's 15 years of existence, while being the same government that easily wasted over a billion bucks in ONE weekend (G8 & G20) and still somehow claims to be the party of fiscal responsibility....and having a bunch of morons buy it.

7. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

FYI

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Canadian Firearms Registry is part of the Firearms Act and is managed by the Canadian Firearms Program of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). It requires the registration of all guns in Canada. It was introduced by the Liberal government of Prime Minister Jean Chrétien and implemented by successive Justice Ministers Allan Rock and Anne McLellan. This was an effort to reduce crime by making every gun traceable. The net annual operating cost of the program is reported to be $66.4 million for the 2010-2011 fiscal year.[1]

Any person wishing to obtain a firearm must first acquire a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL).[2] The PAL carries a fee of $60 for non-restricted, $80 for restricted, and is renewable every five years. Expiry dates are set on the holder's birthday following the fifth anniversary of the initial issue of the licence.

After a change in government in 2006, the current Conservative Federal Government announced amnesty to all rifle and shotgun owners facing prosecution for failing to register their firearms, with an extended amnesty currently set to expire on May 16, 2011.[3] Since its introduction in 2001 and continuing on to the present, the long-gun registry remains a contentious issue in Canadian politics.

8. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

I'm thinking it's this bill S-10 that's being smoke-screened right now.

Basically, the Harper government is going on an anti-pot bender that panders to our friends south of the border - making almost anything involving pot come with a mandatory jail sentence. Estimates are coming in around 3-4 billion per year to start as the cost of keeping all these new dangerous 'criminals'. locked up, and that number is expected to grow over time.

This is a fucked up country we live in.

9. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

kyfe he's saying the Cons are complaining about the cost of the registry over its lifetime while at the same time spending the same amount over a weekend without batting an eyelid.. he's not saying they started it.

10. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

sorry. had to.

11. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

were they trying to brainwash the protestors with lightshows from the glowsticks a la light show johnny fropm systen soundbar?

12. derek

derek TRIBE Member

muskoka in june yo! totally justified. the black bloc could learn a thing or two from black flies.

13. alexd

You just know that cases and cases of glow sticks and bug spray are being stored in the homes and garages of some cops, just waiting to be auctioned off on ebay... only later to be sold back to us at dollar stores around the city.

14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

lessee here... a bottle of sunscreen (we're going to assume absolutely no discounts for government contracts) from shopper's or wherever is like $12 per bottle. Bug juice isn't much cheaper sooooo...

So even with taxes that's like over 20,000 bottles of sunscreen and bug spray. Packaged in a handy kit with other stuff and handed out to every single law enforcement officer involved in outdoor security at the G8/G20... yeah I can see it getting to 300K pretty easy. Still doesn't make sense and you KNOW they didn't all use it or use all of it.

15. alexd

With the G20 logo embossed in gold leaf on every one I bet...

16. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i thought that was his last name? lol. and I had a sighting at harvest this year. :D

17. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

How many protesters even showed up in muskoka? 2?

18. Beings

Beings TRIBE Member

Yes, but those 2 were extra angry !

19. DJ Vuvu Zela

Yes.

I'd also add the whole fighter jet mess to their insane spending habits.