• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Razor Burn

ED Larry

TRIBE Member
I started getting really bad razor burn the last couple a years. I thought it was from the water on the cruise ship i worked on, because the water was horrible. But now that i am back home I am still getting really it really bad (in grown hairs, bumps, really red).

I have tried everything i can find at shoppers and it helps alittle, but I'm looking for something better...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... and just to clear things up, i am talking about shaving my face.

Thanks,
ED

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
ED Larry said:
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... and just to clear things up, i am talking about shaving my face.

I can't help you then.. I get razor burn on my genitals, not my face.

when are we getting our nut shaving forum anyway? I think it should take over the General Stuff forum!

Last edited:

technowelt

TRIBE Member
my wife uses this stuff, and it completely solved her ingrown hairs.

48364.jpg

you can buy it at Shoppers Drug Mart

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gasper

TRIBE Member
Until now, pressure caused irritation. You need one of those new 12 blade battery powered disposable handle razors and the high tech scientifically engineered cream.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
don't shave against the grain. lubricate. sharp blade. aftershave. ....thats about all I can say.

oh and 'until now, pressure caused irritation'

Persephone

TRIBE Member
we recently talked about this in the girl stuff forum. There's an amazing product you can get, Tendskin. Try that out, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

tendskin.jpg

You can pick it up at beauty supply stores, including Sephora.

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
ED Larry said:
I started getting really bad razor burn the last couple a years. I thought it was from the water on the cruise ship i worked on, because the water was horrible. But now that i am back home I am still getting really it really bad (in grown hairs, bumps, really red).

I have tried everything i can find at shoppers and it helps alittle, but I'm looking for something better...

Thanks,
ED

On your face/neck I assume? If so....

Merkur HD Razor
along with a pack of
Blades
and a tub of good
Shave Cream

And if you STILL get irritation, use

THIS

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
step one: make sure your not using a dull razor, have shave cream - me I use M Shave Aloe Gel from Clinque. I liek to shave in the shower, its easier, faster, and the heat from the water softens your beard, making it easier to shave. Once out of the shower, I use cold water, then pad my face dry. After I shave I use Post-Shave Healer again by Clinque.

deep

TRIBE Member
If you're getting in grown hairs, don't shave against the grain (against the direction of hair growth). If shaving with the grain doesn't shave close enough, later up again and shave across the grain or diagonal to it. Directly against the grain will cut the hair in a way such that it grows back under the skin. Try exfoliating between shaves if the top layer of skin too easily grows over shaved hair. Men of ethnic descent tend to have bigger issues with ingrown hairs from shaving. Other shaving basics: use as sharp a blade as possible, don't use hand pressure to cut but instead rely upon the sharpness of the blade and the angle you are cutting at, lather up effectively, shave after showering, etc. Look into wetshaving if you find you get better results from "old school" tools like straight razors, safety razors and shaving brushes / creams than you do from drugstore razors and shaving gels.

As for irritation afterwards - I highly recommend one of two products (or both). One is Brave Soldier's Code Blue - it has a topical anaesthetic (lidocaine) in it as well as salicylic acid, the active ingredient in Tend Skin that is supposed to help against in grown hairs. FYI salicylic acid is just a derivative of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) so you could make your own tend skin by crushing up a few non-coated aspirins into water.

You can also get yourself an alum block, which if you've ever gotten a straight razor shave from a barber, you will recognize. The alum in the block cuts off nicks and seals the skin. Same chemical is in a styptic pencil used to stop nicks. You don't need it per se but it does help seal the skin and soothe irritation - irritation/burn is one notch below a nick in terms of what has physically happened to the skin.

Last edited:

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
deep said:
If you're getting in grown hairs, don't shave against the grain (against the direction of hair growth). If shaving with the grain doesn't shave close enough, later up again and shave across the grain or diagonal to it. Directly against the grain will cut the hair in a way such that it grows back under the skin. Try exfoliating between shaves if the top layer of skin too easily grows over shaved hair. Men of ethnic descent tend to have bigger issues with ingrown hairs from shaving. Other shaving basics: use as sharp a blade as possible, don't use hand pressure to cut but instead rely upon the sharpness of the blade and the angle you are cutting at, lather up effectively, shave after showering, etc. Look into wetshaving if you find you get better results from "old school" tools like straight razors, safety razors and shaving brushes / creams than you do from drugstore razors and shaving gels.

As for irritation afterwards - I highly recommend one of two products (or both). One is Brave Soldier's Code Blue - it has a topical anaesthetic (lidocaine) in it as well as salicylic acid, the active ingredient in Tend Skin that is supposed to help against in grown hairs. FYI salicylic acid is just a derivative of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) so you could make your own tend skin by crushing up a few non-coated aspirins into water.

You can also get yourself an alum block, which if you've ever gotten a straight razor shave from a barber, you will recognize. The alum in the block cuts off nicks and seals the skin. Same chemical is in a styptic pencil used to stop nicks. You don't need it per se but it does help seal the skin and soothe irritation - irritation/burn is one notch below a nick in terms of what has physically happened to the skin.

barberpole10.gif

Barber deep! Very insightful.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
deep said:
Look into wetshaving if you find you get better results from "old school" tools like straight razors, safety razors and shaving brushes / creams than you do from drugstore razors and shaving gels.

on a more serious note, I just got on this yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes.... but I don't really have any issues with razor burn.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
I have fair and very sensitive skin. Here's what I do:

I shave in the shower and let hot water run over my face--it's gotta be hot, but don't friggin burn yourself. In barber shops, they soak a towell in hot water and wrap it around your face for a couple of minutes. This softens the skin and opens the pours--so they are flexible relative to the razor.

Keep your blades in rubbing alohol; this keeps them sharper, longer.

I use the Nutrogena Razor Defense shaving cream and after shave "balm" and that in combination with alcohol blades and hot water has eliminated any razor burn issues for me.

deep

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
on a more serious note, I just got on this yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes.... but I don't really have any issues with razor burn.

Nice one, welcome. What did you get?

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
deep said:
If you're getting in grown hairs, don't shave against the grain (against the direction of hair growth).
As for irritation afterwards -... you could make your own tend skin by crushing up a few non-coated aspirins into water.

Definately shave with the grain.

As for Tendskin, you would need to dissolve the aspiring in alcohol. I have tried it, and it's not wortht he damn hassle. Use the stuff with the rollerball at the end of my previous post. It's tendskin in a mess-free applicator. WAY less hassle.

Also, you've neglected to mention that multi-bladed razors are perhaps the biggest culprit of razor bumps and ingrowns. The problem is that each sucsessive blade cuts at a different angle. 1) Causing the hair to curl more
and 2) Causing the cut end to be sharper. There isn't a double or triple bladed razor in existence that doesn't give me razor bumps, but I can shave with a 50 cent single bladed disposable and a can of edge and usually be OK

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:

When I first got my Merkur double edged safety razor, the first couple weeks of shaving was a massacre. Tons of nicks, cuts and blood everywhere - but strangely enough, NO BURN :)

Single blade razors are meant for multiple passes using short strokes - if you try a Mach3 single swipe from ear to ear you'll be reaching for the styptic pencil right away!

Good luck!

Oh and don't use aeorsol shaving cream/gel because it will clog up any razor blade and just doesn't lubricate properly. I use Colonel Conk shave soap with a brush - its got teatree oil and glycerine which makes it pretty tough to cut yourself.

122.jpg

Last edited:

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
For three months the stupid screen door to my patio has been fucking up. As in, three months since I moved in.

Sometimes I open it, sometimes I close it, depends whether it's too hot or too stuffy inside, or raining outside, or smoky inside, whatever. But more than half the time I end up pushing it off its tracks and it falls over.

My neighbours watch me try to align the wheels in my underwear. Underwear that, if you could look closely, has plainly been used as a sex rag in the past. And things I use for sex rags generally have twice as much splatter.

But today I remembered that spray on oil I bought a month ago, kind of akin to WD-40, which I had originally bought before my bike was stolen.

This particular time I was still wearing my gimp outfit, having come straight from work. The pits were soaked down to my otherwise trendy belt and my tie dripping on the patio's concrete, just before I went to spray the stuff and thought ".. safe to smoke with this fag in my mouth?"

Anyhoo, the screen slides fine now and there's no beetles flying about my room, not like last night. Got my beer bottle of gin on the go and Swillz on the MSN and everything's gonna be perf till I show up to work in the morning.

-jM
A&D