• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

raving then and now.....

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
Okay... maybe its just me.. .but 10 years ago, compared to today has been such a wake up call on the state of mind and life of going to a party. tonite I ended up at the Ronnie Size party... BUT it was totally different from going to parties in the past....

before... a cab ride to an event would require atleast 3 ppl before it would seem possible. only after a pre-party blow up at someone's house.

today... taking a cab from my house to meet ppl at a party makes so much more sense.

before... getting to a party and not having the nite's drugs and entertainment sorted would mean a nite of hunting for ANYONE who had hookups.

today... going to a party and doing anything more then drinking is taboo. and probably means a weekend recovering as well as next week regretting the whole thing.

before... feeling anything less then glamours meant spending the nite wondering when it was going to 'kick in'.

tonite... feeling anything less then drunk means payday isn't this week and scrimping on drinks is a must. but accepting rounds of shots is all good.

before... leaving before the last dj of the nite ment missing something magical about the nite.

tonite... leaving when your body says "lets go" or your friend whos offering a ride makes the most perfect sense.

10 years ago... going to parties which might have been the same experience is so different then going to parties today. forget the vibe, or the scene or whatever todays scene might be lacking..... its just plain old different because it's amazing what 10 years of perpective will do to what you consider important on a nite out at a party.

It's also about the venue. There was something fun about going to Union Station (later Nathan Phillips Square) and not being totally sure where you were going for the night, or calling the info line and getting the directions. About 10 years ago, things were just starting to head to the club.

Mind you, a lot of these venues started to get used over and over again, which somewhat took away from the novelty of raving I found. There's only so many parties I could handle at the Maze.

I'm now getting all sentimental and shit. I miss 23 Hop.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
oh gosh... anything that was down in the docks area..... polson street or cherry beach area long before it became the badlands and actually had empty warehouses for fun and profit......

either way... from then till now. amazing what alittle $$$ and a career will do to what you require in a nite of fun.

Yeah, completely. My career has taken quite a bit away from my party life, but I think now I'm starting to reprioritize my life a bit as well (don't feel as compelled to head out as much - and I want to put my money towards other goals, like a house).

I mean, if we don't change our priorities to some degree, I think that would be worse off than worrying that times maybe aren't quite as good as we might percieve them to be.

Taylor

TRIBE Member
If anyone cares to reminisce about Toronto Parties, I have a rave flyer chest going back to '93.

I sure miss those days:)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Then..

Waiting two hours in line for a party that might get shut down before you get in to buy a $40 pill that may or may not be asprin for all you know and trying to find the one washroom being shared by 2000 people....

now...

Shorter lines, easier security, propper washrooms and water 9 times out of 10. Almost 0 early shut downs.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vveerrgg
today... going to a party and doing anything more then drinking is taboo. and probably means a weekend recovering as well as next week regretting the whole thing.
Oh yeah, getting hammered is so much classier than dosing up. :rolleyes:

I forget, is it cool to still like E? I don't remember, damn pills... No flame to vveerrgg, but the E-bashing trend is funny, as the people bashing teh pillz tend to still do them. The denial runs thick.

Everything in moderation (including moderation).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Parties with headliners like Moby, etc ... cost $15-20 back in the days ;) And DJs didn't make in the thousands of dollars for the same job they do today ... if not less today.

pr0nstar :D

Neo-Marxist

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Parties with headliners like Moby, etc ... cost $15-20 back in the days ;) And DJs didn't make in the thousands of dollars for the same job they do today ... if not less today.

Exactly! Imagine paying only $15 today to see Richie Hawtin and John Acquavia alongside 10 good locals. It would be unheard of!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Neo-Marxist
Exactly! Imagine paying only $15 today to see Richie Hawtin and John Acquavia alongside 10 good locals. It would be unheard of!
Only $6 to see Richie Hawtin outdoors with thousands of people in NYC. :)
I saw flyers for tons of great parties when I was down there. Everything was $10, $8 and at the most $25 but it was really easy getting list down there. Just an email or print out the flyer and you're in.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I AM SO PISSED OFF RONI SIZE WAS AT...

THAT PLACE.

Now I'll have to wait another 5 years to see my all-time favourite electronic producer.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

trickynicky

TRIBE Member
where was roni size??
i live in calgary and some of would have flown to TO for sure had we known... i thought he wasn't allowed in Canada??

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
meno?!?.... well for me... anything more then drinking is just what I said.... a weekend recovering and a week regretting it.

Everything in moderation (including moderation).
before compared to now..... My idea of moderation has a fairly different definition.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
It's scary... I tell some kids that i've been partying for 8 years and they're like "WOW! YOU'RE OLDSCHOOL!!"

Uhhhh... no i'm not. Oldschool is like 10+ years.
I'm merely... 'middle' school.

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
I can't plug this site enough to all you oldschoolers. www.cydonian.com/sigmaforum
It's all about the old school. 92-98ish
Old flyers, old DJ sets from parties etc etc. You'll have to register, but it's well worth it. We've already had some great talks about specific parties...

Remember when Roni Size was in town for this Utopia bash? I missed his set. But Carl Cox and King Britt pwned me!

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
It's scary... I tell some kids that i've been partying for 8 years and they're like "WOW! YOU'RE OLDSCHOOL!!"

Uhhhh... no i'm not. Oldschool is like 10+ years.
I'm merely... 'middle' school.
I've been around 10+ years.
I'd say someone who has been around 8 years is concidered old school for sure imo.;)

And thanks for putting the flyers up Smooth Operator. I love looking at old flyers. :)

vox

TRIBE Member
i dunno dude.

as long as the tunes are hype and i can shake my little keister around and get rocked and bang on stuff and call for rewinds and jump up and down like a little monkey...it feels the same to me.