• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Rationalizing File Sharing...

The Kid

TRIBE Member
So, for all you peeps that download music with Kazaa or whatever, how do you rationalize the fact that (in the record company's and artists eyes) you are "stealing" music?

When I had my own computer, and downloaded hella music I'd say about 90% of what I grabbed was DJ sets - easy for me to rationalize because most of the mixes were rare or virtually impossible to get any other way, and it was, for the most part, DJ's that I've supported by paying to go see them play for years, and buying mixes that they put out. I'd say the other 10% was either tracks I couldn't find in stores anymore, or the odd song I liked but didn't like enough to buy the whole album...

... but now I'm rambling, so I'll get to the point! What does everyone think about the potential of lawsuits in Canada? How do you rationalize downloading music?!

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Well for me, since I've dabbled in DJ'n for over 10 years now.

I think I've given tons of money to the music execs, artists, etc...

And any artist I truly love and support I buy their CDs, even if I downloaded them... hell I still remember ripping my Vinly to mp3 so I can have it on my computer... not to "steal" it, but so I can listen to it on that medium.

I really wish Artists saw a lot more of the money I spent.

pr0nstar :confused:

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I still buy lots of music (probably $500- $750 this year alone) so I don't feel so bad. The few songs I do download would be hard to find or I wouldn't be willing to part with $20 for. If someone told me that I had to pay for what I had on my hard drive or delete it, I'd probably delete %90 of what's on there.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
If water came out of a tap would you still buy a bottle of it?
people do to get better quality water

a cd is better quality than an mp3

but many will take the mp3 route because they arent audiophiles

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
i only buy bottled water when I'm out and about, but that's because I barely drink anything else.
I don't buy bottled water at home or work though, i drink from the tap.

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
i only buy bottled water when I'm out and about, but that's because I barely drink anything else.
I don't buy bottled water at home or work though, i drink from the tap.
you still pay for it out of the tap. at home at least.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
For once in my entire life, I agree with the Kid...

This topic is getting really old though. each side of the debate will never be convinced otherwise. Let's just drop it and wait to see who from tribe gets targeted.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by qtip
people do to get better quality water

a cd is better quality than an mp3

but many will take the mp3 route because they arent audiophiles
Yeah, that's my point. If it's good quality I'll pay money for it. Not just sound quality but content as well. If something deserves my money I'll buy it but the logic that the RIAA uses, that every song downloaded is a dollar lost, is crazy. If downloading didn't exist there's no way I'd pay for a copy of a P. Diddy song dispite the fact that I have 2 on my computer right now.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
heres my rationale: i have never been an avid purchaser of music.
i think cds are too expensive most of the time, and i just cant be bothered.
i have friends with obscenely huge cd collections, so i would just get copies of stuff from them.
then napster and kazaa happened, and i would just download the stuff i wanted to hear.
i have actually downloaded something and then gone out and purchased it, although its pretty rare. however, 99% of the stuff i download is the same stuff i would NOT spend my money on at a music store, so i dont really feel bad about it.

no ones losing my money.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
i can't rationalize it. so i don't do it. if you talk to any small-time musician or record label, they'll tell you how much this has affected their careers. it sucks. in fact, wasn't there an article in tribe about this recently? the stickman guy was saying he had to close up shop party because of file sharing, no?

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
These newer sites seem to answer the need fairly while leaving everyone's conscience intact.

For something like 30 bucks you can download around 120 complete songs (that you can listen to first) depending on where you go. My DJ brother-in-law swears by it and has no problem paying the money and supporting the site.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
All I know is after downloading all that I can find I am going out and buying everything I can by Unkle in the new year.

I would never have heard of them/bought them otherwise.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
bah. i dont really buy the argument that you're hurting the little indie guy.
if you're indie, you probably make a good chunk of your money off live gigs. if i hear about a band (lets us Royal City as an example), i am gonna download a few of their songs, maybe even get a friend to copy their album for me, and then when they come to town, i'm gonna haul my ass down and pay to see their show. (which i did this weekend)
if i didnt have file sharing, i would have never familiarized myself with their music and wouldnt have shelled out the cash to see them live.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits

if i didnt have file sharing, i would have never familiarized myself with their music and wouldnt have shelled out the cash to see them live.

very much the same case for me in the last 5 years. I think labels underestimate the shift in the way music is appreciated and how the commercial aspect of it hasn't died, but shifted. They're just dinosaurs that are too stubborn to adapt.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Look I rationalizie this:

A: Most of the stuff i download is stuff the radio stations will NEVER PLAY. The recording industry has had such a cartel-like grip on what becomes successful, that i feel the internet has allowed me to listen to acts I would never have even heard of before anyway, thus would never have purchased.

B: CD's are horrible for our environment. The Carbon used to print them, then plastic and inks used to package them, hell the gas used to ship them is a detramental to our environment, weak argument but still viable.

C: When I got to see a band, I pay 60 bucks a ticket and 40 bucks a t-shirt. At the venue we pay 10 bucks for a beer, getting there we pay 15 bucks for a cab ride or 20 for parking. So just to hear the music, fans have been ripped off for years, but now when I do it, it is a big stink.

D: The last 10 albums I've bought were from bands whom I found on the internet by file sharing. Now everyone and their grandma are releasing DVD's as wel that arent that easy to find and download, which makes them a ton of cash as well.

E: Why to we still have this inherent belief that because someone has talent they deserve to be a multi-multi millionaire? We need to dump this idea. The reason why this is such a big stink is greed... the execs in the industry are still making a fortune, just not as big of one. So what are we really stealing when we download? Just a piece of their HUGE MARKUP.

I never feel bad about downloading. It is the industry's penance for decades of excessive price gauging and collusion.
Fuck 'em I say... fuck 'em
Merry Christmas :)

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JEMZ

B: CD's are horrible for our environment. The Carbon used to print them, then plastic and inks used to package them, hell the gas used to ship them is a detramental to our environment, weak argument but still viable.
Does this include the CDs used to burn files downloaded from the internet, and minidiscs?

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Booty Bits
bah. i dont really buy the argument that you're hurting the little indie guy.
if you're indie, you probably make a good chunk of your money off live gigs.
i've read articles (again, theres one in the newest issue of tribe)by and spoken to indie artists/label owners. and it is affecting the business. ive argued this on tribe before, and i didn't get anywhere, so i'll try keep my mouth shut this time around. but my boyfriend's music career has really not done well through the file sharing phenomenon. and when i can (could) go on soulseek and napster and find every single song he's released for free - i dont see how it wouldnt affect his career.

but at least the music industry is now adapting i guess. but even if music is cheaper and easier to access, i doubt people will ever stop file sharing.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
If they made pussy flavoured ice cream would you ever try to pick up again?

Just who would be the creator of said pussy flavoured ice cream? Baskin Robin's? Ben and Jerry's? Haagendäs? Lick's?

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
Does this include the CDs used to burn files downloaded from the internet, and minidiscs?
It's probably the worst, because it is so disposable. I don't burn much though.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
you realize mp3 format and regular cd format have different storage capabilities, right?