1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Rating the (Canadian) sports announcers

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bernnie Federko, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

from the toronto star aug 15 2006:

Best and worst in sports broadcasting
    More than 8,000 readers responded to the Star's survey of the best and worst announcers/analysts in sports television and radio.

A Toronto Star readers' poll on sports announcers and personalities drew more than 8,000 responses. While the results, compiled from replies that arrived through the Star's website, email and old-fashioned Canada Post, are in no way, shape or form to be considered scientific, they did prove one thing:

Sports fans are as passionate about who delivers their games as they are about the teams and athletes who play them.

Some responded in order to praise.

"I can't say enough about the great Jerry Howarth," wrote Dave Harris. ``He's the best for information, great tone of voice, and the listener can sit back and enjoy a great game."

"Don Cherry is the best, hands down," wrote Lois Rock.

Others, in fact most, chose to bury.

"They all try to fill the air with inane talk instead of letting us watch the game," wrote the Simpson family of Picton, Ont., in reference to baseball announcers. "Sometimes it's better to use the mute."

Gilbert Young of Toronto attached this note to his ballot: "Don Cherry is an overpaid, rude, self-centred, conceited, egotistic, loud-mouthed, so-called hockey analyst.

"Even my French poodle refuses to watch him."

But most just had their say with their votes.

Not surprisingly, Cherry managed to finish high in the greatest number of categories: first among hockey analysts, first as the guy whose microphone is most in need of a muffler and second to TSN's Pierre McGuire as the mouth most readers would like to see covered in duct tape.

That came as no surprise to the Hockey Night In Canada mainstay, who says he will be back for another season.

"Was there any doubt?" he said yesterday. "That means the good people like me and the bleeding hearts and tree-huggers don't like me. Perfect."

Cherry pointed out a Vancouver paper named him the most-hated person in sports.

"The pinkos strike again," he said with a laugh.

TSN's Chris Cuthbert was also prominent, running away with the best football announcer voting and finishing a strong third in voting for best hockey announcer.

Howarth and Pat Tabler easily won the baseball categories, though the former TSN tandem of Dan Shulman and Buck Martinez picked up 71 and 49 write-in votes, respectively.

TSN's Chris Schultz was the runaway winner among football analysts, while Leafs TV's Joe Bowen topped CBC's Jim Hughson and Cuthbert in the hockey announcer category.

CBC's Harry Neale was second among analysts, finishing 884 votes ahead of TSN's Maggie the Macaque, who got one write-in mention.

Readers liked Chuck Swirsky most among the other announcers, with the Raptors voice finishing well ahead of TSN's versatile Vic Rauter.

TSN's Darren Dutchyshen topped the anchor voting, 15 votes ahead of Rogers Sportsnet's Jim Van Horne, though he also scored third among most annoying anchors. Van Horne got some consolation by getting the readers' nod for the best hair, well ahead of the follicly challenged Swirsky.

CBC's Ron MacLean was the clear choice among TV hosts with The FAN 590's Bob McCown easily winning among radio hosts.

There were some surprises, though.

TSN's Rod Black was judged to have the most annoying laugh, ahead of renowned chucklers Bowen and Mike Hogan.

Despite relative inexperience, Sportsnet's Peter Loubardias scored high on the annoying scale. Readers put him second to Cherry in the muffler category and second to fellow Sportsnet announcer Mike Toth as the most annoying anchor.

Sun Media's Steve Simmons was the clear choice as the newspaper guy who should stay off the electronic media, but he was not alone. I received seven write-in votes, which was four more than I got in the duct-tape category.

Best baseball announcer
    1. Jerry Howarth 3277
    2. Rod Black 1003
    3. Jamie Campbell 998

Best baseball analyst
    1. Pat Tabler 1993
    2. Rance Mulliniks 1141
    3. Mike Wilner 992
    4. Darrin Fletcher 783
    5. Warren Sawkiw 293

Best football announcer
    1. Chris Cuthbert 2996
    2. Don Wittman 939
    3. Steve Armitage 530
    4. Rod Black 428
    5. Jaime Stein 266

Best football analyst
    1. Chris Schultz 1770
    2. Glen Suitor 733
    3. Darren Flutie 708
    4. Matt Dunigan 575
    5. Leif Pettersen 414

Best hockey announcer
    1. Joe Bowen 1468
    2. Jim Hughson 1247
    3. Chris Cuthbert 1242
    4. Bob Cole 1218
    5. Gord Miller 303

Best hockey analyst
    1. Don Cherry 1205
    2. Harry Neale 885
    3. Bob McKenzie 874
    4. Kelly Hrudey 873
    5. Pierre McGuire 845

Best other announcer
    1. Chuck Swirsky 1670
    2. Vic Rauter 1200
    3. Jack Armstrong 817
    4. Leo Rautins 414
    5. Gerry Dobson 324

Most irritating laugh
    1. Rod Black 1695
    2. Joe Bowen 1615
    3. Mike Hogan 1600

Guy most in need of a microphone muffler
    1. Don Cherry 1888
    2. Peter Loubardias 1532
    3. Joe Bowen 1077
    4. Chris Walby 732
    5. Nick Kypreos 77

Best radio host
    1. Bob McCown 1995
    2. Gord Stellick 905
    3. Jeff Marek 626
    4. Chuck Swirsky 545
    5. Bill Watters 516

Best TV anchor
    1. Darren Dutchyshen 757
    2. Jim Van Horne 742
    3. Rod Smith 505
    4. Mike Toth 458
    5. Martine Gaillard 458

Best hair
    1. Jim Van Horne 1751
    2. Chuck Swirsky 1368
    3. Leo Rautins 799
    4. Sean McCormick 727

Most annoying anchor
    1. Mike Toth 1187
    2. Peter Loubardias 1175
    3. Darren Dutchyshen 919
    4. Jay Onrait 805
    5. Steve Kouleas 650

Best TV host
    1. Ron MacLean 1904
    2. James Duthie 1266
    3. Michael Landsberg 1181
    4. Dave Hodge 720
    5. Brian Williams 642

Newspaper guy on TV who should stay in newspapers
    1. Steve Simmons 2353
    2. Damien Cox 1946
    3. Pierre LeBrun 613
    4. Stephen Brunt 422

Guy whose mouth should be duct-taped
    1. Pierre McGuire 1915
    2. Don Cherry 1414
    3. Glenn Healy 779
    4. Chris Walby 522
    5. Greg Millen 429

2. gak

gak TRIBE Member

...I don't know the names of the guys who do the Jays games on Sportsnet but they are horrible...Americans probably laugh at them like we laugh at American hockey commentators...

3. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

I cant believe that many people think Joe Bowen is a good announcer.

I would pay serious coin for him to go away. Forever.

4. Bernnie Federko

who actually thinks Bob Cole is any good? WTF And why wasn't Strachan up there on the shit list?

5. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

Mike Emrick and JD are the best hockey team going.

6. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

Bob Cole is just too old to follow the action anymore. Rod Black is brutal no matter what sport he is covering... and the Blue Jay's announcers on sportsnet have no chemistry or flow. Watch a SF Giants game if you want to see how it's done right.

7. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Marek and Watters have the best show on radio, imo...sorry Bob McCowan.

8. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Where the fuck is Tim McCalliff?

9. kerouacdude

kerouacdude TRIBE Member

boy, to wish TSN actually paid heed to this
    Gord Miller is rightly #5 of 5 and Pierre McGuire is rightly #1 mouth to be duct-taped

I still maintain Bob Cole is the best - his mistakes are ones of age, but none of this younger generation knows how to manage a game, vary tone, when to let the action and sounds speak. They all talk to much.
    Chris Cuthbert has no diff. in tone and volume on a goal four minutes into the first than he does late in the third.
    Gord Miller is the king of useless info ("Jay Mckee has just scored only the third playoff goal of his career, and the first to come against a team other than Philadelphia!!!!!"...huh)
    Hughson's too eager to try and impress you with his knowledge.
    And Joe Bowen just sucks.

10. Bernnie Federko

[​IMG]

Kypreos has a big mouth and I don't know if the Sportsnet gamble on him will pay off.

EDIT: THAT PIC MAKES ME LAFF. NICE BLUE STEEL THERE HOSS.

11. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

Despite having lost a step or three Bob Cole's voice still can send shivers down the spine. No one better to announce a big game.

Bowen is just a typical homer announcer. So strange. His fans.

12. dabeats

dabeats TRIBE Member

here`s bob cole..."toronto out of their own end...into the montreal zone...the leafs player passes out front...they score!" i don`t think he can read the players names anymore lol

i don`t know he was good at it at one time but he needs to go.

i can see bowen being annoying if you`re not a leafs fan. he is a homer but no one can call a goal like he can.

mulliniks mouth needs to be duct tape shut as well.