• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Raptors Trouncing the Nets

silver1

TRIBE Member
So who was it in the other thread that said they'd rather see the Raps get Detroit first round?

When a team plays tough D on the supporting players, Kidd does squat.

Bring on the Nets I say! :D

Heinz57

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
When a team plays tough D on the supporting players, Kidd does squat.
lets not give credit where isn't due.... Kidd got handled on defense too...

Wunderbar

TRIBE Member
Alvin looked phenomenal on defense and was very effective leading the attack on offense.

It's amazing how this team is playing as a unit with Carter out. I think when Vince was in the game, there were stretches when certain players would just be motionless on offense, expecting VC to do it all. Now that they are playing smart team ball, they're getting easier shots and getting everyone involved in the offense.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
NJ played their scrubs.

Still, I've been very impressed with Dial and Jermaine Jackson in the last two games.

This game was a must win though considering both Indy and Milwaukee won. So I think if we win 1 of our last two games we make the playoffs. Indy needs to win both to catch up, but even if they do, we have the tie-breaker. So we need to beat either Milwaukee or Cleveland.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Psyklone

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Gizmo
Still, I've been very impressed with Dial and Jermaine Jackson in the last two games.

I couldn't agree more. Jackson CAN shoot from the field, but he (and any other Raptors for that matter) can't be shy to take the shot.

Clark is my favourite Raptor.

Psyklone

Heinz57

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gizmo
NJ played their scrubs.
ya, but they didnt do that until they were down by a significant amount of points... playing the benchers seemed like a saving face move to me, to excuse getting their asses busted..

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
True, they made the subs when down, but Byron Scott had said before the game the starters would only get limited minutes.
He wants to rest the starters before the play offs begin.

I'm still very happy with the Raptors. I really think Jackson could take away some of Childs playing time. (He's a much better shooter) but still Childs uses that Chub of his to fight through screens really well.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

DJ Red Lion

TRIBE Member
Nothing But Nets

I'm a Raptor's fan first and foremost but I'm a basketball fan too. New Jersey would walk all over us in the playoffs. If we go deep enough to play them I'll be happy for the team but we don't stand a chance. Playoff defense is a whole new game. I don't think we have enough fire power to score against playoff style basketball. It was nice to see Mo P step up and put up some big numbers. Extra confidence for a young player is always good just before eliminations.

Prove me wrong Lenny & Co.
I'd love some more excuses to get drunk and cheer on the Raps!

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
can you imagine being an Indiana/Milwaukee fan watching the Nets basically hand over the win to Toronto? I'd be pissed.

But hey, still gotta love the game.

JMan

TRIBE Member
I thought it was a poor decision by NJ. Not only did they hurt 2 other teams, they helped the Raptors continue building confidence in time for a potential 1st round match-up. If I'm Byron Scott, I'm resting against the non-playoff teams, and preparing against the playoff bound teams.

J

silver1

TRIBE Member
Re: Nothing But Nets

Originally posted by DJ Red Lion
I'm a Raptor's fan first and foremost but I'm a basketball fan too. New Jersey would walk all over us in the playoffs. If we go deep enough to play them I'll be happy for the team but we don't stand a chance. Playoff defense is a whole new game. I don't think we have enough fire power to score against playoff style basketball. It was nice to see Mo P step up and put up some big numbers. Extra confidence for a young player is always good just before eliminations.

Prove me wrong Lenny & Co.
I'd love some more excuses to get drunk and cheer on the Raps!
Here is my post from last friday regarding who I'd want to see the Raptors play in the playoffs. I still stand by this opinion.

Yes. But to me, Stackhouse is a player that can carry a team on his shoulders down the stretch if needed. I'm much more affraid of Stackhouse than I am of Kidd.

And look at the match-ups.

Todd McCullough vs. Montross/Olajuwan -> even matchup
Keith Van Horn vs. AD -> adv. Raptors
Kenyon Martin vs. JYD -> adv. Raps (IMO because of JYDs Defense)
Kerry Kittles vs. Mo Pete -> last year I would have said NJ but now I'd give the advantage to Mo Pete.
Jason Kidd vs. Alvin -> adv. NJ

The big thing is, if the raptors play tight on the supporting players, Jason Kidd will have a VERY tough time controlling the game.

Whereas in Detroit, Stackhouse is a breakout type of player that can take the game into his own hands (like T-Mac, or Kobe, or a healthy Vince etc.). That worries me more than Jason Kidd.

JMan

TRIBE Member
I agree - I don't think the Nets are the real deal... maybe I'm way off, but I'd much rather play the Nets than the Pistons or the Celtics.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

TRIBE Member
I agree with the above.

I don't think the Nets can handle our inside game. They threw up a zone before they packed it in last night and still couldn't stop TO's 3 power forwards... which is a cool lineup in my opinion considering everyone in TO has a week post up game.

Anyway, AW and Mo P are shooting so well from outside, and the nets are undersized compared to the raps... so if TO plays a good outside inside game (like last night), the nets are toast.

50 points in the paint last night, and we don't have a center.

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416
I agree with the above.

I don't think the Nets can handle our inside game. They threw up a zone before they packed it in last night and still couldn't stop TO's 3 power forwards... which is a cool lineup in my opinion considering everyone in TO has a week post up game.

Anyway, AW and Mo P are shooting so well from outside, and the nets are undersized compared to the raps... so if TO plays a good outside inside game (like last night), the nets are toast.

50 points in the paint last night, and we don't have a center.
Then again. Perhaps the Nets see this as well and would rather Toronto finish 7th and hence yesterday's outcome
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Interesting times indeed.

Wunderbar

TRIBE Member
Toronto v. Detroit would be an extremely physical confrontation. Two aggressive, scrappy teams who rebound well and don't like each other at all. However, the Pistons entire offence surrounds Stackhouse whereas the Nets have KVH, Martin, Kittles and Kidd.

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Bad decision by NJ

Brutal game by the Nets last nite. Teams that coast into the playoffs always have problems in the short 5 game series. They can say that they slacked, but 28 pts in the first half is for chumps.

Mo Pete and Keon can suck it. Where the fuk were they for the first 50 games of the season? What a fukkin waste. It is great to see them work the system that Lenny Wilkens put in... finally. Hope and pray that when Vince comes back that they don't go back to just concentrating on feeding him the ball and standing around and watching the action unfold.

This is the type of system that Vince would thrive in. To those who think we are better off without Vince, when you jump off the bandwagon, I hope you land really hard on your ass. :p

Although, VC for Steve Nash and Micheal Finley? Grunwald would have to think really, really hard about that.

Where were those damn bobble heads coming from? I did'nt get one :(

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DJ Red Lion

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by fleaflo

Although, VC for Steve Nash and Micheal Finley? Grunwald would have to think really, really hard about that.
This is the first time I've heard of this trade. I hope this is just a nasty rumour .......... the Mavs are just trying to buy a championship. I'm a big Nash fan and have been since I discovered him back in his Santa Clara days but have never thought of him or Finley as marquee players.

fuzzy

TRIBE Member
Re: Bad decision by NJ

Originally posted by fleaflo

Mo Pete and Keon can suck it. Where the fuk were they for the first 50 games of the season? What a fukkin waste.
Mo Pete was hurt and Keon wasn't getting playing time
They played Hakim till he broke down instead

Richard

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Dallas / T.O.

I think that trade was just a hypothetical one.

It was taken from an article listing the top 40 players in the NBA in terms of trade value...so, a team would trade #37 for #38, but you would have to package #23 and #25 together to get #10 etc.

Here's the article:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/020404.html

Best quote from that article:

"when [Clippers coach] Alvin Gentry mentions "fighting through screens," Lamar [Odom] thinks he's talking about a clogged bong pipe ... "