• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Rant: SilverCity sucks my ass

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
I miss the days of being able to go see movies in the old two-story theaters we used to have.

Uptown theater was freakin incredible back in the day. My friend and I were talking about the time we saw Independence Day there. The sound was so good that the audience cheered for the THX sound clip.

All the incredible theaters in our city are now gone
- hyland at st clair and yonge
- uptown
- york at eglinton and yonge

we are left with these useless Silvercitys with shitty, stiff seats and overpriced food. And you know what....I don't care what the ticket taker's favorite movie is.

That fuckin pisses me off.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
When I worked for famous players my favorite movie was CLUELESS. However, my nametag said "Sarah ---- Clueless" - bad call on that one.

but you don't care what the ticket taker's favorite movie is SOOO...

zoo

TRIBE Member
word up

there are still some older theatres here and there

hamilton has a great one in westdale

there's a cineplex odeon in brampton (at orion's gate) that has very comfy seats and better prices

there's always the old ghetto famous players that do movies for cheaper too

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spiritual_Thang
- uptown
That theatre is gone as it was cost prohibitive for them to repair it to make all theatres wheelchair accessible. So rather than have the theatre unavailable to a few people in wheelchairs, the theatre is now unavailable to all of the public.

Cheers ... Ian :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
as someone who has the good fortune of being on the receiving end of free movie vouchers to silvercity, i can't find it in me to disparage the company. that being said, if i was paying $13 a pop for a movie, i would probably be negative and grouchy too.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Bloor Cinema all the way.

Can't beat the beautiful art deco design of the interior either. Incredible.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
but c'mon... stadium seating!! i am a shorty so i love stadium seating. (i don't love the $13 ticket price though)

silver1

TRIBE Member
[rant]I don't know what you're talking about with "Stiff seats".

And stadium style seating is the wave of the future. Finally a person above the height of 5' 7" has some actual leg room and the people below 5' 7" can see over the 6' 8" guy in front of them.

And as for uncomfortable seats, I don't think I've been in a single "good ol" theatre in which 90% of the seats didn't lean downwards under your ass at a back-wrenching 45 degree angle because they've never been fixed/maintained well.

I say good riddance to these cramped and 2 degree incline seated old theatres.[/rant]

P.S. Movie theatre food has always been overpriced.

kat

TRIBE Member
mount pleasant - gone

capitol - gone

york - gone

it sucks.

there are still a bunch of the cheapo design theatres..rainbow, canada square, varsity, carlton, cumberland etc.

at least some of the older theatres are preserving the architecture by turning them into "event theatres"..but still.

the mount pleasant theatre was beautiful..and one of favourites. i was soo pissed they got closed because of a wheelchair access issue. WTF? just down the street is the silvercity y&eg..whywhyywhyyyy?? stupid cripples.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
The good thing about these sick multi-plexes is that it's eeeeasy to sneak into another movie after, thus justifying the cost of $13 a ticket.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
Bloor Cinema all the way.

Can't beat the beautiful art deco design of the interior either. Incredible.
And the falling ceilings. :)

Bloor Cinema has always been a favourite of mine. I wish I saw 9-11 there instead because the people at the Cumberland are FUCKING boring. Yikes. So unfriendly and untalkative.

The Royal is still tops in my books.
And I love the two theaters in the beaches. The Fox is awesome.
The Beaches Alliance cinema is fabulous. Big but not pricey.

The Rainbow cinemas are CHEAP ASS and I don't know why more people aren't going. $4.75 for a Tuesday? COME ON! That's amazing. They also play free movies sometimes.

Carlton is still a favourite of mine. And I don't mind paying for the Varsity because it's comfy, has good sound and close to everything.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
When I worked for famous players my favorite movie was CLUELESS. However, my nametag said "Sarah ---- Clueless" - bad call on that one.

but you don't care what the ticket taker's favorite movie is SOOO...
best was a girl's name tag... her favourite movie was "what women want"

i thought it was funny

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
ok fine...
stadium seating is good.

but the movie-going experience isn't the same.

Lining up around the block to see a new film at York Theater or Uptown was a lot of fun. My friends and I used to take the subway after school down to Bloor just to see the film in that huge fuckin theater. It was an experience!

Yes Silvercity has 14 identical, stadium-style theaters, but the vibe is gone.

And yes, the movies can have vibe.

Im all for stadium-style seats, but I would like to have the choice to go see a film in the old-school two-tier theaters.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Carlton is really nice, and they keep rare/foreign/indie movies there for a long time giving me the chance to see them on my schedule.. cumberland, the sound leaks from other theatres but it's still nice. I don't trust Bloor cinema anymore for less than obvious reasons..

All the rest of the theatres can derelick my balls.

diablo

TRIBE Member
AMC theatres are the best.

Especially with any piece of photo ID that can pass for a student card.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
It's not every day you get OTIS leaping across 6 laps in a single bound. :)
Haha..

And Jake the Snake being hit by a piece of ceiling then literally pushing me to safety. Very sweet of him.
Brian reacted really quickly too because the piece hit right on his chair and by the time we reached the aisle, Rob was OUT THE FUCKING DOOR OF THE BLOOR! lol

Stan

TRIBE Member
I like the Morningside theatre. Nice, big theatres, comfy seats. And they still charge $7 a movie, even for big name movies and during peak hours.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
the mount pleasant theatre was beautiful..and one of favourites. i was soo pissed they got closed because of a wheelchair access issue. WTF? just down the street is the silvercity y&eg..whywhyywhyyyy?? stupid cripples.
When did this close? I could of sworn they were playing Goodbye Lenin even a couple of weeks ago. Are you thinking of the The Regent?

Oh, and I can't believe no one has mention The Eglington. One of the last greats to fall.

AshG

upon first reading this thread title did anyone else think of Silvercity the producers?

i really like them.

but the movie chain sucks.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spiritual_Thang
ok fine...
stadium seating is good.

but the movie-going experience isn't the same.

Lining up around the block to see a new film at York Theater or Uptown was a lot of fun. My friends and I used to take the subway after school down to Bloor just to see the film in that huge fuckin theater. It was an experience!
i agree. new theatres like the PARAMOUNT are far superior, but i miss the old days in which there were only 3 theatres in the city - the uptown, the eglinton and the york - that had THX sound.

thus, every geek in the city would decend on one single theatre to get tickets for the sneak preview or the opening night.

i lined up for 10 hours to see BATMAN, 5 hours to see JURASSIC PARK. the crowd for BATMAN was so hype (because, really, who else but true fanatics will wait in line for 10 hours?) that the entire crowd STOOD ON THEIR SEATS for the first 15 minutes of the movie. half the crowd was dressed in costume and we had beachballs in the crowd like at a fucking concert.

the management had to stop the movie, turn on the lights and tell everyone to sit in their seats before they started the movie back up.

voytek

TRIBE Member
It's not every day you get OTIS leaping across 6 laps in a single bound. :)
really? 'cause from his story i gathered him saving a few elderly while juggling infants.

beaker

TRIBE Member
you guys should honestly check out the theatre i work in. it's the regent on mount pleasant north of davisville (south of the "mount pleasant" theatre).

it's a 1927 art deco theatre. we have a 35 foot wide screen, comfy seats and the sound is incredible (we mix 5.1 feature films on the balcony during the day so our systems are always properly calibrated). tickets are 10 bucks, snacks are reasonably priced. you can see photos at: www.theatred.com

the carlton and the bloor are shitholes but they get amazing filims.