• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Rane/Serato announces the new SL3

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I think I am being misunderstood. I think Serato is great. Best browser and UI for sure.

But being locked to hardware is a problem. Technically Serato should be able to work with any soundcard, but they have locked it to only their devices. I think that's lame.

riceraw

TRIBE Member
I noticed there's no phono output on the sl 3 box. How would you switch from playing from scratch live to the regular vinyl then? Or does that mean you can play regular vinyl using the same line as where the sl 3 goes in to?

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
The Thru control is in the software and the SL3 has phono preamps so it will use the same outputs as your serato.

Torq uses the same system except the Phono preamps are ass. If you like the thru (like I do) there are several easy ways to bypass this.

SubMissioN

TRIBE Member
i don't give a fuck what anybody says and I've been saying this since fucking reason came out. Theres no such thing as an all in one system. Theres no company to this day that has shown me a GUI that could do everything perfectly whether it be for djing or producing its the proper use of different systems and using them for what their individually good for. Thats what makes good music and if you think its different for djing then your more fucked up then i thought because the plugins that count don't have fuck all to do with any of these closed systems. Read em and weep.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
i don't give a fuck what anybody says and I've been saying this since fucking reason came out. Theres no such thing as an all in one system. Theres no company to this day that has shown me a GUI that could do everything perfectly whether it be for djing or producing its the proper use of different systems and using them for what their individually good for. Thats what makes good music and if you think its different for djing then your more fucked up then i thought because the plugins that count don't have fuck all to do with any of these closed systems. Read em and weep.
good for you.

no one ever said that serato is perfect - in fact, it is definitely not perfect and is frustratingly missing several key features - but it is still the best the market has to offer for what myself, and many DJs want in a DVS - uncluttered, user-friendly UI, stability. and reliability with unparalleled user support. The user-install base speaks many more volumes than your rantings about a program you've never used...

SubMissioN

TRIBE Member
good for you.

no one ever said that serato is perfect - in fact, it is definitely not perfect and is frustratingly missing several key features - but it is still the best the market has to offer for what myself, and many DJs want in a DVS - uncluttered, user-friendly UI, stability. and reliability with unparalleled user support. The user-install base speaks many more volumes than your rantings about a program you've never used...
OK I'll try them all tomorrow and get back to you.

Phat Trick

TRIBE Promoter
I've got the new SL 3 on order and should have it by Friday.
The thing that made me bite the bullet and buy it was the improved sound quality.
Also the reduced number of rca cables.
I'll post a review when I finish tinkering.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Yup, a sound quality update was long overdue. I'll try to find a benchmarking test someone did with all the DVS audio interfaces and the sl1 came last. Understandable though as it was built a while back to compete with the final scratch box and the technology has improved.

I am interested in your review. Particularly the way they have handled ditching the THRU for an internal switch. What happens when the unit powers down for example?

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Yup, a sound quality update was long overdue. I'll try to find a benchmarking test someone did with all the DVS audio interfaces and the sl1 came last. Understandable though as it was built a while back to compete with the final scratch box and the technology has improved.

I am interested in your review. Particularly the way they have handled ditching the THRU for an internal switch. What happens when the unit powers down for example?
likely the same thing that happens with the old one - don't power it down or you'll lose signal.

That being said, apparently the SL3 comes packaged with an AC adaptor now so it shouldn't be a problem...

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I thought the thrus on the old box didn't require the box to be powered to pass the signal through?!? Yeah I noticed the AC adaptor I'm just wondering what happens if it gets knocked loose.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
I thought the thrus on the old box didn't require the box to be powered to pass the signal through?!? Yeah I noticed the AC adaptor I'm just wondering what happens if it gets knocked loose.
no, if the SL1 was not powered either via USB or AC adaptor you would lose all signal - even the thrus.

most of the AC plugs fit quite snuggly. In fact, the only SL1 I've seen that happens to have a loose AC Adaptor jack just happens to be mine :-(

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
OUch that sucks! Has it burned you live?

It would be easy for them to make a thru that doesn't require the unit to be powered and I actually assumed it worked that way.

I bypass the phono preamps in my torq connectiv using piggyback cables which because of the resistance of the inputs do not degrade the sound in any way. And it doesn't require the unit to be powered at all.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
never burned me live, but to be honest, I haven't played a gig with my SL1 in a while and when I have, I haven't really needed to unplug my computer...

When I was using torq, I tried the splitter route but I was getting all sorts of line noise and feedback during the 2 gigs I tried it on and that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me...

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Oh yeah that's right you use the TTM57SL. I wonder if they are going to introduce a new version of the mixer soon as well.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they did put out an upgraded mixer in the next 2 years. Possibly to coincide with the release of V2.0 of the software...

If they do eventually announce a 3rd deck option (likely since the SL3 now supports 3 stereo ins and 3 stereo outs), I could see it being an Empath SL with the updated A/D convertors and USB2.0 outputs... Still don't know if they'll make it available in software tho...

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
That would be sick. I love the empath. Although, like everything they put out, it would still likely be a closed system and overpriced to comparables in the market.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
There's gonna be a crap load of pissed off SL users in about 1 month. All this wait and all that money for something that still can't do everything its counterpart can.

Serato's website even says pointblank that there is no 'upgrade option' as far as credits for trading in your SL1

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
There's gonna be a crap load of pissed off SL users in about 1 month. All this wait and all that money for something that still can't do everything its counterpart can.

Serato's website even says pointblank that there is no 'upgrade option' as far as credits for trading in your SL1
why would they offer an upgrade? It's not like they're not still supporting the SL1.

Can you take you TV to the manufacturer and demand that they take it back for a discount?