• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Random shots from around my neighborhood in South Africa

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

My Butcher, Bosveld. Great Kudu steaks, Boerevors, Chili biltong, and they have great t-bones, if you don't know what any of that other stuff is..

My table at Clearwater. The restaurant is perched on the edge of the Umtavuna gorge, the very gorge where they filmed those breathtaking jungle aerial shots in the movie Blood Diamond.
You can rent mountain bikes from Natalie and ride along trails on the Clearwater farm, through banana, coffee, and macadamia nut trees. Or just eat a good meal, which is what I did.

The dag that watched me eat my lunch at Clearwater.

The make an awesome fish and chips at Tightlines. Pick a fresh line fish off the crushed ice in the display case and they will filet it and cook it to perfection for you.

Tanya is my massage therapist here. Her clinic/salon is in sort of a tree house in a plant nursery. She is the cure for the aching treasure hunter.
Today, rain was pattering on the studio's tin roof.

I've spent a lot of time in the Ramsgate tidal pool.

This is my garage door. Better take a close look at it, because the new wooden one is getting installed tomorrow!

The door is galvanized and only 5 years old. The salt air has eaten right through it.

This week I was Herald Famous! With a little blurb and pic in the coastal newspaper.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Need a new hairstyle? A casket? An exorcism?

Your one stop beauty salon, funeral parlor and exorcist:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
For those not on my fb...

Here is my local carpenter lady, Sharon, who made my gate last year. She is the one with the crazy biting mongoose that chased me out of the wood shop. She is delivering my garage doors which she made out of Eucalyptus wood. The bugs don't eat it and it is really hard so the doors should outlast me.

Here are the doors in the back of her pickup. They are beautiful, and weigh 100kg each (thus the massive custom made hinges I had to have made). It turned out that they were a couple of cm too long so she took them back to the shop to trim them down a bit.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
My carriage house / garage doors are installed! It took all day. There are still some interior pieces to put on behind the top of the doors and on the sides to keep out the creepy crawlies, and if I can find some aluminum door sweeps (those long things that fit under doors with nylon brushes on them) i will put those in tomorrow. Then a couple of coats of linseed oil, install a sliding bolt and a lock, and they are done.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Uvongo Beach fishing pier

Drove about 50km from my place to hunt the Sunwich Port tidal pool. Whenever I go to Sunwich I think about sandwiches.

Then I drove another 50 km further to Pennington. They have a nice tidal pool there.

You can see the beach erosion on the back side of the tidal pool. Normally the sand would be pretty level with the lip of the pool I reckon.

Pennington has a really cute round restaurant above the pool called the Impithi Beach Kiosk. They have nice coffee and home made cakes.

On the way back I stopped at the Curry Den and had another bunny chow. This one was mutton and boneless which was nice, because mutton bunnies are usually full of bones. I sat under the umbrella and gorfed it down.

Nearer home I hit the Sayidi store which is in a large thatched hut. The have lots of homemade jams and preserves and pickles and sell goat milk if you are into that. I am not, but I bought a jar of Masavaroo, which is a type of lethally hot relish made from habanero chilies and scotch bonnets.

Closer to home the sign for ripe butter avo's caught my eye so I pulled in and bought one for supper. South African butter avo's are scrum delish.

Finally, I passed by St. Mikes and it was rammed for the Easter weekend. I shot a 180 degree pan. It is quite large and I don't want to break the thread but if you want to see it, go here:

http://tribemagazine.com/images/sa/2013/st_mikes_pan.jpg

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking of this year's TRIBE BBQ, I also picked up a jar of pine spice for Par-T to try on his pineapple skewers. It is awesome but has a bit of a bite!

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
Yay i like these. I dont really understand tidal pools tho. Why r they building a wall around the sea? Isnt that a bit weird. And wasnt it very hard to build a wall in the middle of the sea?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Yay i like these. I dont really understand tidal pools tho. Why r they building a wall around the sea? Isnt that a bit weird. And wasnt it very hard to build a wall in the middle of the sea?
They build tidal pools because the sea here is very rough - the open ocean great for those who like to bodysurf, surf, and wave hop, but the waves aren't for everyone. A tidal pool usually has a natural shallow end - the sea piles sand into one side more than the other so it is safer for kids, and most have a deeper part for those who like to swim laps or hunt for gold rings with a waterproof metal detector ;)

They fill and empty naturally with sea water with the tides, and there are no sharks in 'em, although I did step on a stingray in a tidal pool last year.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I really want to go to South Africa and eat everything, while carrying a rifle. But I see no rifles. What gives?
Occasionally you might see someone sporting a holstered sidearm, and one time I saw a dude carrying a briefcase in one hand and an R5 in the other.

I am sure a lot of women have guns in their purses and dudes have guns in the glove boxes in their cars.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mr chris

TRIBE Member
very nice pictures, will be purchasing our metal detector shortly. been scoping possible sites on our bikes this spring.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
very nice pictures, will be purchasing our metal detector shortly. been scoping possible sites on our bikes this spring.
If I had a car in Toronto, I would be hunting old farm house properties outside of town. Upper Canada has a lot of history to be discovered.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
when are the best and worst times to visit s.a. with respect to weather?
It depends what you like. Summer Nov - Jan can get very hot in the inland provinces and along the coast of KZN (where I am at) and it rains a bit sometimes, but not for weeks at a time. But it is perfect beach weather along my part of the coast.

Winter June - Aug is cooler on the coast and is the dry season and is the best time to see game because the vegetation is dormant and animals tend to congregate around watering holes to make for easy viewing in the game reserves like Kruger and Imfolozi . It is also Whale, dolphin, and sardine season on my part of the coast - you see tons of whales swimming past. The sardine run is one of the most amazing things to see on the planet - kilometer-long shoals of sardines swim along the coast from the cape up to mozambique to breed and they are followed by big sharks and game fish, flocks of sea birds, and people scooping the fish out of the water. you can often see sharks and dolphins leaping out of the sea.

It can get cold in the mountains an inland - they have snow sometimes, but 'snow' here means a sprinkle.