• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

RAID disk environments... what?

AshG

So i've installed a new hd and thought the BIOS seems to recognize it, windows xp does not. I'm in the 'manage disks' section of the control panel in an attempt to have windows' wizard seeing this thing.

Now i'm advised in this internet advice column i'm following to do all this but to NOT DO THIS (bold emphasis that of the article, not mine) if the disk is not meant to be a RAID environment disk. Now seeing how this article seems to consider this to be kinda important, i'm hoping someone knows what its referring to.

Thanks in advance!

deep

TRIBE Member
raid refers to redundant array of independent disks. it's a system of using multiple hard drives together for different end effects; one example is to mirror the data on one drive to another drive, so that if either one goes down, the data is still safe. the article appears to say that if you plan on using the HD in a raid setup, then you should avoid what they're suggesting. It doesn't seem as though you're going to be using your hard drive that way.

BTW, when installing a new hard drive, it's normal for it to initially show up in the bios (just says that it exists) but not in windows. The drive only becomes usable after it has been formatted. That's when Windows will notice it.

Last edited:

AshG

deep said:
raid refers to redundant array of independent disks. it's a system of using multiple hard drives together for different end effects; one example is to mirror the data on one drive to another drive, so that if either one goes up the data is still safe. the article appears to say that if you plan on using the HD in a raid setup, then you should avoid what they're suggesting. It doesn't seem as though you're going to be using your hard drive that way.

BTW, when installing a new hard drive, it's normal for it to initially show up in the bios (just says that it exists) but not in windows. The drive only becomes usable after it has been formatted. That's when Windows will notice it.
Ok, but here's the thing. The instructions go:

"A new wizard may appear, "Initialize and Convert Disk Wizard". This wizard appears when the disk is not initialized. In order for Windows to create a partition the drive must be initialized (XP) or "Write a Signature" (2000). If the drive is not going to be setup in a RAID environment do not convert the drive to Dynamic. "

Now this is apparently what you're supposed to do to get windows to see the disc(partition or no), but unforunately if i don't want the drive to be "dynamic" it provides no other option as to what to do.

You're saying i need to format the disc first. I know this probably sounds ignorant, but how can i possibly do that if i can't get windows to recognize the disc in the first place?

EDIT:
to me it sounds very much like if i contine along the windows wizard, that the drive will be made dynamic. so i'm very reluctant to proceed with the wizard in this case.
but then?...

Last edited:

deep

TRIBE Member
If you continue with that wizard it will likely just keep your drive as a basic disk instead of a dynamic disk. Basic is the alternative to dynamic disk that you were wondering about. Just keep an eye out to make sure you're setting the disc as basic instead of dynamic. Don't worry about it too much.

If you want to dispense with that wizard...the drive is initialized automatically after being formatted. In the list of drives on your system (bottom half of the screen), just right click on the new drive (it should say unformatted or unpartitioned space, something along those lines) and click format. As you can see in the disk management tool (assuming you're there), Windows recognizes the drive, but it also recognizes the space on it is unpartitioned and unformatted so as such doesn't show it as a usable drive.

Last edited:

AshG

deep said:
If you continue with that wizard it will likely just keep your drive as a basic disk instead of a dynamic disk. Basic is the alternative to dynamic disk that you were wondering about. Just keep an eye out to make sure you're setting the disc as basic instead of dynamic. Don't worry about it too much.

If you want to dispense with that wizard...the drive is initialized automatically after being formatted. In the list of drives on your system (bottom half of the screen), just right click on the new drive (it should say unformatted or unpartitioned space, something along those lines) and click format.
i think i would rather do this manually.
i'm sorry but i don't quite understand what you're saying in the 2nd paragraph.

i know how to format the drive fine if i can see it listed somewhere... anywhere... but i don't see the drive listed at all..
i'm not sure what you're refering to with the 'bottom half of the screen' bit, but in my control panel, it simply doesn't appear; hence the problem.
is there some other window in which it might appear(in unformatted glory)?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
Sorry, not being particularly clear. Go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management

Then click on storage, then disk management

You get a listing of the drives on your system (up top) as well as another list of disks at the bottom. Your new hard drive should be connected but look slightly different. The graph will say that the space is unpartitioned / unformatted. Just right click on this disk and select Format.

AshG

deep said:
Sorry, not being particularly clear. Go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management

Then click on storage, then disk management

You get a listing of the drives on your system (up top) as well as another list of disks at the bottom. Your new hard drive should be connected but look slightly different. The graph will say that the space is unpartitioned / unformatted. Just right click on this disk and select Format.
Thanks!
I think that that did it.... its initialized at least, though the true gb capacity is grossly incorrect, and it still doesn't show up in my control panel.
But i'll restart the computer and see; i know sometimes there's something you have to do to get windows to see discs over 150gb properly.

AshG

didn't work(it doesn't appear)
well i'm going to see what i can figure out, but if there any suggestions, i'd love to hear them!

AshG

as an update, for those who care, my new disk is reading as a 31.5GB size drive and is "unallocated", and currently does not show up in any directory.

the disk size is in fact 250GB, though i'm not sure how relevant that is.
there are a few sites describing what to do if windows only recognizes something like 132gb of the full amount, but nothing regarding this seemingly random amount.

zoo

TRIBE Member
try searching your hard disk manufacturer's site for help / faqs on getting your old comp hardware to recognize big disks

google has a good feature that most people don't know about

try a search string similar to "site:maxtor.com recognize hard disk size windows"

it searches all pages below maxtor.com for the terms, a very handy tool

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

AshG

zoo said:
try searching your hard disk manufacturer's site for help / faqs on getting your old comp hardware to recognize big disks

google has a good feature that most people don't know about

try a search string similar to "site:maxtor.com recognize hard disk size windows"

it searches all pages below maxtor.com for the terms, a very handy tool
yeah i've been doing that and man, holy unhelpful.

i'll try that google thing though - thanks!

deep

TRIBE Member
when was the last time you updated your windows xp machine i.e. with patches from MS? I do recall that there was an issue a long time back where large disks wouldn't be recognized without the right patch. it would be worth ensuring your system is up to date through windows update if that sounds plausible.

if the drive is showing up as unallocated space, that means that it hasn't been partitioned and formatted yet.

AshG

deep said:
when was the last time you updated your windows xp machine i.e. with patches from MS? I do recall that there was an issue a long time back where large disks wouldn't be recognized without the right patch. it would be worth ensuring your system is up to date through windows update if that sounds plausible.

if the drive is showing up as unallocated space, that means that it hasn't been partitioned and formatted yet.
its been partitioned and formatted now, but its reading it as a 31.5 MB disk(i think meaning that its got that shit-tastic windows 32mb self-imposed drive limit going on).

i installed xp though not more than 2 months ago.
fuck i hate windows.

deep

TRIBE Member
but has the system been updated with all the latest updates? cause if you installed windows that just may mean you've got a factory fresh vanilla install from 2001 going on there. that might be what's producing the 31.5 MB disk. In the disk management tool you went to earlier does it show 249.7 GB of unallocated space beyond the 31.5MB that has been formatted?

AshG

deep said:
but has the system been updated with all the latest updates? cause if you installed windows that just may mean you've got a factory fresh vanilla install from 2001 going on there. that might be what's producing the 31.5 MB disk. In the disk management tool you went to earlier does it show 249.7 GB of unallocated space beyond the 31.5MB that has been formatted?
i'm doing an update now...

but no it doesn't show anything but the 31.5; certainly nothing close to what it ought to be.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
how old is your bios? is the correct size showing there? I had to flash my other comp with the latest bios for it to show correctly.

Jay

AshG

xtcfreak said:
how old is your bios? is the correct size showing there? I had to flash my other comp with the latest bios for it to show correctly.

Jay
yup, proper size shows fine.
shit, i'll try to figure it out tonight.