• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

R/C Cars.... for people who can't GROW UP!

KiFe

TRIBE Member
I grew up driving cars from afar....

Always the crappy tyco radiocontrolled cars.... Unfortunately i never had enough cash as a child to afford a nice tamya R/C car... or even better.. a glofuel operated car.....

lately, i've felt a new found fancy for these things... but damned if they're hard to find in the core of the city.

Radio shack is a joke for any r/c enthusiest(sp?) worth his salt... so does anyone know of any decent hobbyshops south of bloor?

Anyone else share the same facination with driving miniature cars into the ankles of those around us?

I think i want a rally car... Peugot206 would be sweeet.

e/z

Last edited:

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiFe
but damned if they're hard to find in the core of the city.

so does anyone know of any decent hobbyshops south of bloor?

Nope

There's a great shop at Yonge and Sheppard.

Other than that.. they all SUCK ASS.

I want a GloFuel RC Car... they are SO DAMN FAST.

Anyhow..... like I said... none in the core.. I already did that search.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: R/C Cars.... for people who can't GROW UP!

Originally posted by The Watcher
Nope

there's like 3 or 4 on mnt. pleasant / eglinton area... but that suxxors too...

damn you downtown toronto!

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
I can think of at least half a dozen shops in North York.

There's a hobby shop at Broadview and Danforth right next to Pho 88 that probably sells R/C cars.

echootje

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: R/C Cars.... for people who can't GROW UP!

Originally posted by The Watcher
Nope

I hope you're not talking about Keith's Hobbies (I grew up in the area) Keiths is a model shop, and they'll have stuff to help you put together a balsa wood plane or a ship in a bottle but not an RC car setup.

There's a place on Yonge N of Steeles, when I remember the name I'll mention it. Otherwise, I nkow there's one downtown but I can't place the name or location either, I never went inside the store.

Rob

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Rob:

I dont htink that was it.

I just remember driving up yonge past the 401 to go to a hobby shop once.

I was looking for a Tamya Model Car... and found a bunch of RC stuff.

I was SOOOOO tempted.

Jazz

TRIBE Member
i've got a tamiya TG10-MK1 i'm thinking of selling... has a gas powered glow engine... brand new, kit is still unassembled... also have 2 unpainted shells for it, WRX and porsche 911...

retails for about $300 new... drop me a pm if you want to make an offer...

JAR

TRIBE Member
I used to love Tamiya R/C cars growing up!! I always wanted one, but my parents would never spend that much money on a toy. I ended getting TYCO cars. But the kids across the street from me (two brothers who where teenagers at the time) were into R/C cars big time. They used to make their own shells and custom paint them. I remember the older brother had a car called the BIG WIG, that was all customed out. Fuck I wanted that car sooo bad!!

Are there places to race those bad boys in the GTA? I know one dude who used to go to some indoor track place...

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
My roommate used to be a freak with Cars and RC Boats.

He bought all his shit on eBay and sold it there also.

All I know is his car was worth too much money for a remote control car, and I think his boat was worth over a grand!?

If I wanted an RC something, it'd be a helicopter for sure :D

pr0nstar

echootje

TRIBE Member
I'd REALLY like to build an RC boat one day, but I think that'll have to wait ill I can afford to spend time learning how to construct a balsa boat.

Rob

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
I'd REALLY like to build an RC boat one day, but I think that'll have to wait ill I can afford to spend time learning how to construct a balsa boat.

Rob

WHatever you do.. dont chrissen it Titanic

Stan

TRIBE Member
After playing PGR2, I totally want to get one now. :D

44006.jpg

1/8th scale Porsche 911 GT1 = about $544 CDN, not including the remote control unit. :eek:

And reading the reviews on http://www.dansdata.com has made me lust after this fine piece of machinery:
header.jpg

About $1000 fucking dollars Canadian. But fucking schweet.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
I'd spend 500 tops on a nice quality electric one.

being able to drive it indoors is a plus.... glofuel and indoor driving is prolly not very compatible. hehehe

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
Markham is RC capitol.

there is a great shop on the north side of hwy 7, just west of Markham road that has the most unreal RC stuff you'll ever see.

from 1/4 scale on down.
20k-$200.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I've been thinking about how much fun it would be to get bac kinto this. Why are all my hobbies so expensice??

KiFe

TRIBE Member
BAH..

it's so hard to find a mid-range quality r/c car.. that comes with a decent remote.

it's either stupid expensive, or stupid cheap.

nothing stupid inbetween.