• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Quitting Smoking ??

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Hey,

I haven't had a smoke in just over 2 weeks. I know that isn't long right now but it feels like a long time for me. I've also decided to quit drinking until i've stopped smoking as drinking and smoking usually go hand in hand.

I was just wondering if any tribers have quit smoking or are thinking about it, and how long until you dont think about smoking anymore..

i know i've quit for an entire summer a few years ago

ciao

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
I quit last year for about 7-8 months then started again in November of 2003.

I had a bad flu a the beginiing of Jan and I haven't smoked since Jan 2nd. Coughing up brown shit does that to you. I do think about smoking on one hand, but usually goes away as soon I as think about the coughing and stuff.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
I quit in december of 2000.
Then 3months later, a (then) UKhardhouse DJ gave me a cigarette and it made me horrible sick.

I haven't touched a cancerous stick of death since.

mingster

TRIBE Member
i quit about a year and a half ago.

it was my first try, and my last. i took zyban.

i think the most important thing in not having starting smoking again, was that i had to stop thinking of myself as a smoker. "i am now a non-smoker." that's it. i don't smoke anymore. of course, by the time i was ready to quit, i was so fed up with smoking, and disgusted by it, that i wasn't about to start again. especially after paying $150 for the drugs.

good luck! 2 weeks is great. but stick to it. YOU DON'T SMOKE ANYMORE! :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
....and how long until you dont think about smoking anymore..

I took Zyban about 5 years ago and quit. A couple years after that, I smoked for a month in the summer.

...just recently I smoked like a chain throughout the entire holidays.

I don't think the desire ever really goes away for me. Everytime I have a cigarette it feels like my first cigarette when I was 15.

bambam

TRIBE Member
see, thats my problem...I would always rather have a cigarette than not..how do you get out of thinking like that? Ive tried to quit and failed far too many times...I CANT DO IT! My parents just raied me not to be a quitter...

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster

what was your experience with the zyban like? how long did you have to take it for?

i quit cold turkey 2 years ago after smoking for about 8 years, but i was always a very light smoker. i still have a cigarette every now and again, usually after drinking lots.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
I was a pack a day for ten years, I quit by rewarding myself with other things.

For instance, high speed internet, and I built myself a new computer with the money I saved from smoking in less than two months.

Also make a list that is easily viewable of all the reasons you want to quit, how shitty it makes you feel, how you will die a slow and painful death, how your throat hurts all the time, how your clothes and breath stink, how inconvenient it is to smoke now, how expensive they are etc etc.

I still smoke when I am drinking, but doing that a pack lasts me 2 -3 weekends, which I think puts me in the non-smoker's club now.

You can do it Mel if I did it, you remember how hooked I was when we used to hang out.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
Hey,

I haven't had a smoke in just over 2 weeks. I know that isn't long right now but it feels like a long time for me. I've also decided to quit drinking until i've stopped smoking as drinking and smoking usually go hand in hand.

I was just wondering if any tribers have quit smoking or are thinking about it, and how long until you dont think about smoking anymore..

i know i've quit for an entire summer a few years ago

ciao

i am in the same situation actully. I quit for new years. its been going pretty well actually. I didint drink for the first week which helped and i have been running and exercising everyday. Everytime i feel like having a cigerette I turn on TLN and check out those cute skinny latino girls. That is a good incentive to quit as i tell myself hey if dont smoke i get to run more and have a nice body and maybe can meet some hot skinny girls.

A bit stupid but whatever i suppose.

that and someone close to our family just got lung cancer which really opened my eyes to alot.

oh well
william

TRO

TRIBE Member
I've quit for a month and 2 weeks now...I still get cravings but I never used that nicorette or any drugs...

the only thing was chewing gum...the most nastiest chewing gum...

excel cherry....it tastes like shit...but it kills cravings for me...

everyone will quit in different ways...the main thing is, that you have to keep yourself busy during times of disperation...

but see I still smoke weed...I will never give that up easily...

-Billl

swilly

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Quitting Smoking ??

Originally posted by green_souljah
No .

If it worked for you, and helped you to quit, it is brilliant!
ya your right hot latino women are brilliant

heheheh
swilly

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster

i think the most important thing in not having starting smoking again, was that i had to stop thinking of myself as a smoker. "i am now a non-smoker." that's it. i don't smoke anymore. of course, by the time i was ready to quit, i was so fed up with smoking, and disgusted by it, that i wasn't about to start again. especially after paying $150 for the drugs.

good luck! 2 weeks is great. but stick to it. YOU DON'T SMOKE ANYMORE! :)

Thanks

I was thinking that
I have to refer to myself as a non smoker.

A week into me quitting my friends visited me here at the college and two of them smoke. I actually waited iwth them as they smoked. I asked Vanessa if i could have a drag and she was a good friend and said no and i didnt' ask her since. They also smoke the brand i smoke.

That's great Billl. I was reading something that said i should make a list of the pros and cons of smoking.
I think i might do that and stick it somewhere where i will see it every day.

I didn't quit bc of a new years resolution. I don't do those. I quit bc well if i dont quit now ill never quit. I dont even know what i liked about it. I was addicted ot the habit, the coffee shops, etc..

I've started working out a lot lately also. I've always wanted to get back iinto working out but for me if i am working out and try to be healthy why would i go against that and smoke.

not to mention i dont like the smell and the way it makes my clothes stink. It's also too cold to smoke and i had a cold last week for a week and that made it easier to stop.

My friend went on zyban. I heard it makes you hate the taste or something. Isn't there bad side effects for zyban? you have to get a prescription from the dcotor?

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
I once quit for a year and a half....then one drunken night, a friend offered me a smoke...and that was it. Smoking again.
I'm one of those people that can't have a casual smoke. Either I'm a smoker or not. No weekend smoking for me.

Anyways I quit again, cold turkey, on November 23rd. And I'm never going to let my guard down again. It's gross, disgusting, and deadly. Sure I still get cravings...but slowly, over time, they subside.
Good luck man you'll feel WAY better for quitting. I can last forever on the treadmill now! :p

Boo

TRIBE Member
I quit on new years after more than 10 years of smoking.

I was smoking over a pack a day at one point and hadn't gone a single day without smoking in probably 7 years.

I quit cold turkey, and the cravings were so bad the first week - I couldn't sleep. I would wake up 5 times a night in sweats.

I'm much better now and don't seem to have the cravings unless i finish a big meal. I've gone out on the piss a few times and had major cravings - just about bought a pack, but resisted. Last night I drank and had no urge. I don't even see myself as a smoker anymore its amazing - but know I can jump right back on the nicotine train.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
wow, you woke up in cold sweats?

I've never had any withdrawl symptoms.
I've smoked for 6 years or so off and on.
I haven't even coughed up any tar or anything. When I would stop smoking in about 3 days i would get a smokers cough. My mom said 'whoa when did you get that nasty cough' because i'd cough like i was dieing heh My parents never knew i smoked.. well they probably did but I never told them.

After 13 years or so of my mother quitting she started up again. :(
I want her to quit..

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
All the power to those who have quite smoking.:)

I am so happy that I don't smoke.

When my father was in the hospital in the palliative care unit(unit for terminally ill patients) when he was dying of brain cancer, there were several people dying of lung cancer. I will never forget it. The people were literally gasping for each breath...suffocating to death. It totally traumatized me. It was so horrible. Smoking just sucks!

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
what was your experience with the zyban like? how long did you have to take it for?

i quit cold turkey 2 years ago after smoking for about 8 years, but i was always a very light smoker. i still have a cigarette every now and again, usually after drinking lots.

the zyban was really good for me.

i took it for 2 months (instead of 3) and had slight side effects for just the first week. i decided to take the drugs for 2 weeks before my quit date, and by the time it came around, i was so ready, i was only smoking about 2 cigarettes a day.

it was really quite remarkable. i just didn't feel like smoking all of a sudden. as soon as my quit date came, i wasn't even stressing it. it really made it much easier to not even think about it (save for a couple of weak moments). and that was it. :)

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
The last ciggy I had was on New years at arround 2am.

Dont know why, but I just didn't have one for 2 days, sortof by accident, and well... decided I was going to see how long I could go.

day 18 and counting.

I've been smoking since I've been about 16.

It's not so hard right now. But I think about it every now and again. And dismiss the urge.

But I havent quit yet. I'm just seeing how long I can go.

skyparty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cheer Bear
I'm quitting. But I kinda have to. :)

baby?

and i've quit for a few months now.
it feels good, but i slip up with a few puffs now and then...

it's just aweful that by boyfriend smokes in bed and all i wanna do is kcik him outside. everything smells. yuck.

but i use to smoke, and well...
that's how it is i guess.

but you never lose the craving, at least i don't.