• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Questlove: How Hip-Hop Failed Black America

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ok I have to stop! Too distracting and its not the weekend yet. Grooving on this and having a lot of connections fire around the nature of consumerism, competitive psychology, the cycles of counterculture and the ways in which we all feed into dynamics that push scenes like Hip Hop in the directions it has gone...

Some of the early quotes getting me:

This linkage isn’t limited to hip-hop — all of American celebrity, to some degree, is based on showing what you can buy — but it’s stronger there.​
This is true, but it's also true everywhere. The way people do it may be different, in many scenes its what you DON'T buy that demonstrates who you are. In others we chase exclusivity just like Jay-Z looking for his Picasso, except for us we are chasing an eco-tourist experience to show how our travel is married to Making the World Better and how we Don't Go For Touristey Shit on our Facebook feeds or for a locally sourced protein that is only available at a farmer's market open for a few hours on Sunday...

He goes on to note the wider societal dynamics:

But what does it mean that hearing the song somehow makes me measure myself against its outsize boasting? For starters, it means that hip-hop has become complicit in the process by which winners are increasingly isolated from the populations they are supposed to inspire and engage — which are also, in theory, the populations that are supposed to furnish the next crop of winners. This isn’t a black thing or even a hip-hop thing exclusively. American politics functions the same way. But it’s a significant turnaround and comedown for a music that was, only a little while back, devoted to reflecting the experience of real people and, through that reflection, challenging the power structure that produces inequality and disenfranchisement.​
Not just American politics, but basic human psychology I would argue... this goes back to tribal times guy... <puffs on joint>

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
except for us we are chasing an eco-tourist experience to show how our travel is married to Making the World Better and how we Don't Go For Touristey Shit on our Facebook feeds or for a locally sourced protein that is only available at a farmer's market open for a few hours on Sunday...

Ha. Currently reading "Stuff White People Like". That's in there

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders