1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Questions for the tribe.ca realtors....

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Mrs. Pink, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

so i'm gettin' pretty frustrated.

i've been searching MLS like a crazy person and cannot for the life of me find what i'm looking for........so....

what is the best way for me to find it? My agent sends me listings like crazy.....but i've only seen one listing that i lost my mind over.....but by the time i got involved, it was already sold.

I'm not asking for the world......London has a ton of homes up....but they are all dated, i'm just looking for something completely updated, doesn't have to be PIMP, but it would be nice.....hardwood, ceramic, updated kitchen and bath, open concept....

the housing market in London is crazy comparable to Toronto.....i can find a 2000 sq foot house for between 250k and 275k......

i dunno, any agents that can offer me advice on how to go about my search.....my agent is a friend of mine.....brand new, which may be a mistake....but i gotta go with him at this point.
  2. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

This is debatable.
  3. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

well, let's change that to.....i'm gonna give him a chance to prove himself.
  4. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

oh, and i should say that he has the listing for my current home.
  5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

did you sign a contract that you can't buy thru any other agents in the meantime?

who knows you might end up buying something dated, for hopefully a cheaper price, and then updated it yourself - at least you'll have full control over the renovations/style etc. (well your wife will. not you.. :p )
  6. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

well that would be ideal, but it's not an ideal situation. my wife is preggers.....so we can't really justify taking the time to do a reno, though i'd absolutley love to....so we really need something move in ready.
  7. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

matt, the reason you can't find what you're looking for is why the market is crazy-because what you're looking for is in demand by 100 other people. Regardless of the agent you have, whether an aging vet in the game, or a young rookie-unless they know of a listing first-hand, before it comes to market-then you're bound with what's coming out on the mls site.

what you have going against you is your wife's impending childbirth (#2? congrats!). Of course this is a good thing in life, but in real estate, you're making a rush decision because of that. The buyers of my old house bought because they were looking forEVER and she was just ABOUT to give birth. Capslock for emphasis.

So - what I would do if I was you is scout the neighborhood you like identify some houses, and make up an ad you'll drop in their mailbox. I'm not joking. I did that - I mailed a couple of letters to people-no response-but only a couple. Ask them if they/or their neighbours are thinking of selling... offer to bring in agents if they want, or not if they don't..

also I do not deal with big purchasing decisions like this with friends. It's too tough to be honest with you- good on you letting him deal with you but on the purchase, I would go with a knowledgeable pro, and let him do the sale only.
  8. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

it's true, what you are looking for is what everyone else is looking for.

houses that are priced right and move in ready move super quick. when i was looking, anything that was in reasonable shape at my price point was sold in a matter of days. AFAIK, the only listings you will see ahead of anyone are those that your agent has, and the ones that the realtor sends you are just before they are on MLS.

you have to be ready to run as soon as you see one you love. if one of those come up (one you love) and you can't get ahold of your agent - get in there and see it and be ready to offer, preferably before an open house. essentially you want your offer to be all that they are looking at.

my place was up for sale for a day, i put an offer in, got beat out by 2.5K (this is in KW) and then two weeks later the agent called as the buyers pulled their deal, i ended up buying my house at 11:30pm on a sunday night because i didn't want them to hit the market again.
  9. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Yeah, also talk to your friend about any agents in his office with upcoming properties so you can maybe find a house before it hits the market.

We finalized the deal on our place @ 7:30pm on a Sunday, the day before the house was to be listed.

It's a win/win for the seller (no open houses, no strangers wandering around your place at all times of the day) unless they're going for a bidding war to get the most out of their place.
  10. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

Requoted for emphasis.
    You're not buying a pair of pants dude. Buying/selling a house is the biggest financial endeavour most people ever undertake. This isnt the situation for throwing some business in a buddy's direction. Go with someone who is experienced.
  11. erika

erika TRIBE Member

This; and not only that, someone who specializes in the neighbourhood/type of house you want to buy.