1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Questions about REDASS

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by diablo, Apr 30, 2010.

1. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Why does this game get abandoned around grade four? Why are there not adult leagues? Why is it not a professional and Olympic sport?

It's a great game!
  2. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

OMG that flashback knocked my head back.
  3. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

is that the one where you throw the ball against the wall?
    or is that the one that makes me cry cause i get hurt alot playing it?
  4. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Why did we call it BURNASS when I was growing up? (A much better name imo)
  5. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

^you! check fb messages.
  6. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

solid game.
  7. octo

octo TRIBE Member

i played redass until grade 8.

when you're in grade 4 your arm generally isn't strong enough to cause enough pain
  8. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Yeah...we stopped playing when we couldn't sit down after recess.

9. ian

ian TRIBE Member

10. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

such a fun game
  11. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

The kids at my school just call it RED-A
  12. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I'm guessing they play it with helmets and cotton balls as well. :rolleyes:
  13. derek

derek TRIBE Member

well in lovely flemingdon park we played salod (spelling is probabley wrong) (esstentially kick the can or rock). you kicked a can or rock trying to get it through other players legs, when you did, everyone got to kick the person until they reached a safe point.

no kicks to the head or groin. unless of course you weren't liked. worse things happend in flemo though. it's actually much nicer there these days, it was pretty rough in th 70s though.
  14. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

We used to use a tennis ball........so many ass kickings because of this game, WORST when you fall trying to get to the safe spot.
  15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

this sport combines two of my favourite things in life: tennis and gang violence
  16. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

If they say ASS they go to the office. Whaddaya expect for K to grade 5.
  17. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

The raquetball was the best for it, speed, rebounding, and greater pain
  18. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Hmmm, also played this, and also in Flemingdon Park at Vendome.
  19. vench

vench TRIBE Promoter

Salaad (as I spell it out) wasn't confined to Flemo... I played in grade 9 and beyond. I think rather than finding a safe spot we had to count to 30 or something... can't remember. Best part was, even when you weren't actively playing, you were in the game. You could be walking to class and if that bottle or can went through your legs, you'd better run! Hahaha...

I have recently introduced people to salaad and rather than kick or hit each other, we've decided it's better that the loser (person who gets the bottle/can through the legs) has to buy shots. I like this amendment.
  20. derek

derek TRIBE Member

oh i played a few times at other schools and hoods. i just remember my area being a little rougher. i'm sure anyone here that grew up in regent, the jungle, or rexdale would probably say the same though.

i'm remember lester pearson hs in scarboro banning it because one kid got put in a coma. the way i heard it at the time was other were planning to kick his ass, and saw it as their opportunity. just went too far.
  21. ian

ian TRIBE Member

When I was a boy we played it with knives and it was called "bleeding death ass"!
  22. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

i played redass and salade in etobicoke, but was only 1 of a small handful of the white boys who were playing with the bruvahs.
    i got to be very good at both games, because the beatings were harsh and relentless.
  23. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

me too. The threat of immediate violence really amps up your competitive spirit. I loved it.
  24. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

5 Dufresne!!

Which ghetto-ass bldg did you live in?

This isnt derek beale I hope...

Anyways I had amazing memories of flemindon park, the mcdonalds, woolco in thorncliffe, etc etc etc

my sister was in a gunpoint robbery at the shitass donut store

and yeah we played redass about 7 years ago, and I will revive it again
  25. octo

octo TRIBE Member

that's why you peel the tennis ball

i also played "kick the the can/rock/ball through someone's legs then kick their ass" game. i don't remember what we called it. good times!