• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

question regarding tax and shipping

AshG

is tax applied to shipping costs as well as the nominal price of an item, and if so, which taxes(GST, PST, both...)?

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
why would it be applied to the price of something that is being compared to another year??

gst might be ...

i don't know about pst.

can't you do a search on google and see what revenue canada has to say about that??

or

look at the shipping costs of fed-ex or those companies to see what kind of taxes charge?

AshG

Re: Re: question regarding tax and shipping

Originally posted by chipotle
why would it be applied to the price of something that is being compared to another year??

gst might be ...

i don't know about pst.

i don't understand this part... another year?

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Re: Re: question regarding tax and shipping

okay you are saying that

price of an item taxed .. yes or no?
and on top of that
shipping costs taxed. yes or no?

right?

AshG

Re: Re: question regarding tax and shipping

gst might be ...

i don't know about pst.

can't you do a search on google and see what revenue canada has to say about that??

or

look at the shipping costs of fed-ex or those companies to see what kind of taxes charge?

yeah i tried that - various searches regarding ontario tax law, commercial law, etc.

nuttin'....

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AshG

Re: Re: Re: Re: question regarding tax and shipping

okay you are saying that

price of an item taxed .. yes or no?
and on top of that
shipping costs taxed. yes or no?

right?

yeah, so obviously the sticker price gets taxed - both gst and pst.

but does the shipping cost associated with moving that item also get taxed?

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Re: Re: question regarding tax and shipping

sorry, I have only speculations to type then.

someone in this line of biz might know.. or an actual accountant.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I order tshirts quite often from the web.

If it is sent ground mail, it probably won't be taxed/dutied. If it is sent by courier, it will be.

AshG

Originally posted by basic
I order tshirts quite often from the web.

If it is sent ground mail, it probably won't be taxed/dutied. If it is sent by courier, it will be.

what i'm getting shipped is mos def getting taxed - the company involved is ultra straight laced.
so my beef is whether the shipping should be taxed as well.

duties are not an issue.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I ordered my Keith Haring bag from NYC.

It was $50 USD and they said that it would be $13 ground, $17 Air. I didn't need it right away so I picked the $13 ground.

BIG MISTAKE. Because it goes through Fort Erie on ground, they inspect every box that goes through the border. SO they saw my bill and charged me the admin for that process.

They charged me GST and PST (of course) on my bill total. The bag was $63 total and it came out to about $10 so yeah, they did tax my shipping. Hmm... I didn't notice that..
Then they charged me $29.80 CDN for brokerage fees.

My bag ended up costing $140 CDN.

AshG

Originally posted by MoFo
I ordered my Keith Haring bag from NYC.

It was $50 USD and they said that it would be $13 ground, $17 Air. I didn't need it right away so I picked the $13 ground.

BIG MISTAKE. Because it goes through Fort Erie on ground, they inspect every box that goes through the border. SO they saw my bill and charged me the admin for that process.

They charged me GST and PST (of course) on my bill total.
Then they charged me $29.80 CDN for brokerage fees.

My bag ended up costing $140 CDN.

yeah, you've got to ask the sender to use a low value, or something to the effect that you sent it to them for repairs.

do you remember if the shipping was taxed though?

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
I have a question: What is a brokerage fee???

I ordered two T-SHIRTS from New York City and they charged me about $40 for a "brokerage fee". That, and I had to drive all the way to the UPS pick up place and wait for 45 minutes! If this happens every time you buy something from NYC, I'm never buying anything from there again. Grrr

AshG

Originally posted by Chiclet

I ordered two T-SHIRTS from New York City and they charged me about $40 for a "brokerage fee". That, and I had to drive all the way to the UPS pick up place and wait for 45 minutes! If this happens every time you buy something from NYC, I'm never buying anything from there again. Grrr

there's no straight answer to this - basically its a ups moneygrab.
and yeah, i hate that bit about if you can't conform to their delivery sched. then you have to go find them.
nice delivery service mates! :rolleyes:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chiclet

Were these your Keith Haring shirts?

I called UPS and they said that the federal government has privatized organizations at the border doing the inspections. UPS has nothing to do with it. They charge a fee for having to open your box to inspect it. And to do the calculations.

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
i think what mr. ash is asking is if there should be if there is tax on shipping costs. i have never seen tax on shipping in all of the many items i have had shipped to me, so i would think no. but.... just cause i havent seen it, doesnt mean it can't happen.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by sentence
i think what mr. ash is asking is if there should be if there is tax on shipping costs. i have never seen tax on shipping in all of the many items i have had shipped to me, so i would think no. but.... just cause i havent seen it, doesnt mean it can't happen.

exactly...i understood that.. but there might be hidden costs and charges that are past unto customers... so who knows?

someone get him a phone number of someone that actually knows please.
an accountant....

or.. what is that you are ordering???

Last edited:

AshG

Originally posted by MoFo
Were these your Keith Haring shirts?

I called UPS and they said that the federal government has privatized organizations at the border doing the inspections. UPS has nothing to do with it. They charge a fee for having to open your box to inspect it. And to do the calculations.

sure, sure.
and it costs them $35 to open that box and see what's inside.
of course.

and that's also why ups uses federal tape to retape that box when they're done(as i've noticed on numerous occasions), and also why the government never charges me anything to do this when its done by the government(and contrary to ups' claims, the gov't does still do it), and not ups.
for sure.

you can see i'm a huge fan of ups.

anyway, sentence, i'm thinking you're right.
i too have never had any shipping expenses taxed.
but.... i don't know for sure.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
both taxes are applicable to shipping charges, unless you are Exempt.

this mssg brought to you by the logistic guru

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
ok, now that I've read the entire thread.

goods shipped within Canada are subject to both taxes.

but I don't understand what you are really asking here.

I also don't understand why you guys are being raped on your brokerage fees and duties.

$45 for Brokerage :eek: for an LVS, bokerage should cost you a max. of $10 if you're using UPS or Fed Ex. Duties have many variables, country of manufacture, fabric content, etc.

$45 is what you'd pay if you were going thru a brokerage firm. Basically you're being raped. Next time you need shipping advise, call me first.

AshG

Originally posted by LeoGirl
ok, now that I've read the entire thread.

but I don't understand what you are really asking here.

I also don't understand why you guys are being raped on your brokerage fees and duties.

$45 for Brokerage :eek: for an LVS, bokerage should cost you a max. of $10 if you're using UPS or Fed Ex. Duties have many variables, country of manufacture, fabric content, etc.

$45 is what you'd pay if you were going thru a brokerage firm. Basically you're being raped. Next time you need shipping advise, call me first.

thanks for the tax info.

as for the brokerage fees, well that's not something you can negotiate.
ups shows up at the door, and the broker fees are ___.
there is no input, choice, or power on your part, or even a way to tell when/if these fees get applied.
seems random to me, though i've been spared the expense recently.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl
Um... Doesn't it depends on whether it's being ordered in the same province? On order forms sometimes you see "Residents of Ontario, please add 8%". If I order something from Quebec, they won't charge PST if it's shipped to Ontario. At least that's been MY experience...

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AshG
thanks for the tax info.

as for the brokerage fees, well that's not something you can negotiate.
ups shows up at the door, and the broker fees are ___.
there is no input, choice, or power on your part, or even a way to tell when/if these fees get applied.
seems random to me, though i've been spared the expense recently.

actually
there is a way..........

read the fine print.

UPS, Fed-Ex, and Purolator ALL have they're "brokeraage fee's" on their website. Purolator/Airborne Express (US) use Peacebridge Brokerage as they're broker, where Fed Ex & UPS do their own.

FYI.........Peacebridge by far are the cheapest. Maybe ship by them next time

trust.........I did it for nearly 10 years.

Last edited:

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
If you're importing you'll get nailed GST always as well as duties if the product was manufatured outside of North America. Tarrifs vary based on where they come from!