• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Question: How do you get into construction work?

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
As a university student, I find all career websites are tailored towards office jobs, or larger corporations.

Where do you go to find out opportunities/listings for construction jobs, or jobs that require skilled trades? Is there a specialized career website, or paper-listing for them? Or do most reno-companies hire through the buddy system?

Any help would be appreciated.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spiritual_Thang
As a university student, I find all career websites are tailored towards office jobs, or larger corporations.

Where do you go to find out opportunities/listings for construction jobs, or jobs that require skilled trades? Is there a specialized career website, or paper-listing for them? Or do most reno-companies hire through the buddy system?

Any help would be appreciated.
check hrdc's website for local spots to call and get info, usually you have to be part of the union to do formal skilled trades work on the big sites,

small contractors you'd probally have to contact one by one or use a temp agency that looks out for skilled/labourers.

X_Door

TRIBE Member
Do you possess a particular trade and/or apprenticed in any trade?

Usually young people who are interested in pursuing a career in the construction industry begin by way of an apprenticeship. After completing the requisite number of hours according to the Ministry of Labour then you are eligible to write your exam and obtain your trade "ticket."

Trade union membership is optional and in some cases it works to your disadvantage. When you get to that point in your career you'll understand what I am talking about.

Here's a great website that will give you a lot of information to work with:

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/site/construction_info.html

You'll have to surf around a bit to find the information that you're looking for but I can assure you that it's there.

In the meantime, if you're looking for general labourer work in the construction industry, I might be able to help you out. I own a mid-sized construction company and we're always looking for reliable help.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
depends on what u want to do...if u want to learn to frame, just go to a site and ask around...usually crews can use a larbourer(read human forklift)...plumbing and such u need to go to school for...

Backbreakers

TRIBE Promoter
right now its so easy for a university educated person to break into the construction/skilled trades industry with all the baby boomers retiring and the next generation going I/T. as long as you can handle the physical work of course.

choose a trade that you really like, find the local union hall for it, and go apply for their apprenticeship program which usually involves some sort of aptitude test, and if you score well you get put on the board until someone hires you.

i did the ironworker apprenticeship program, scored really well, and was hired within a month for Canron, one of Canada's largest construction co.s they separated me within 2 weeks and hired me fulltime just because i worked hard and mostly because i didn't need any guidance and could solve my own problems and sometimes theirs. right now with baby boomer attrition, the opportunities are there to climb the ladder in any trade very quickly.

its always best to go for a journeyman ticket, giving you the ability to travel worldwide and make some real money.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders