1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Question for the regular Gardner drivers

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by coleridge, Aug 12, 2010.

1. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I have to get to the airport tomorrow during afternoon rush hour. How much extra time should I allow getting out of the downtown because of the Gardner construction?

I'm thinking of ordering my airport taxi for a 1/2 hour earlier than normal.

2. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Take the 409 instead.

3. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

don't take the gardiner.

4. derek

derek TRIBE Member

it's pretty messed around dunn. plan at least an extra 1/2 hour to get by there.

i've actually been taking lakeshore west from spadina in the morning to avoid it. not sure i'm saving much time though. i do the reverse commute so the traffic while busy, isn't quite as bad.

i'd plan on being early, and just hit up a bar near your jetway for a pint.

i wouldn't go 401 or 409 either at that time as both those routes blow during rush (evenmoreso than the gardner with construction).

5. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Taking the subway to Kippling and then the Airport Express takes about 1 hour from Union and costs 3$, just sayin

6. derek

derek TRIBE Member

^^^

might even be the fastest route that time of day. only sucks if you have a lot of luggage in tow.

7. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

Yes!!!

8. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i still remember the time that 2 ladies in front of me through customs were being yelled at by a security guard for having an entire fresh salmon just loose in their bag. "Why did you tell me you had NO FOOD in your luggage?"

MONSTERS!

9. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

other than doing the subway run, if you HAVE to get out of downtown during rush hour, boot up avenue rd, cut across to eglington and to allan rd.

it will still take a while, dont know if they finished the construction/lane reduction up near upper canada college.

10. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

or better yet, go north to eglinton out a little further west, you can snake up lansdowne, caledonia, keele, in order to avoid avenue rd and eglinton altogether.

then stay on eglinton all the way until the 427. it moves WAY quicker than the 401.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  11. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

id just stay home if i were you.

12. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

or leave now.
    YYZ has interwebs.

13. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

1/2 an hour is fine. i boot down the gardnier from 427 to spadina pretty much every day early rush hour and the construction @ the jameson only adds about 20mins of stop and go into the city. its one goddamn lane people, that's it!!

coleridge, go to cp24.com and check the mto cams along the highway, if it's backed the fuck up, call your cab earlier, if its only crunched to just before the dufferin bridge going west, all is well (well relatively speaking ofcourse) and stick to your originally 30 min buffer time.

14. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

It's a pet!

15. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I would do this normally but I don't want to deal with carrying my luggage on TTC during a Friday rush hour. The ride out to Kipling during rush hour is brutal. Tack on some sort of signal problem, or jumper, or bus crash; I don't want to deal with the stress of it.

I went through a period this past year of riding TTC 1.5 hours to work once in a while. I don't mind paying for the airport taxi even if I'll be sitting in it for 45min.

16. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

yup, she's right.
    Keele street is actually decent.

17. derek

derek TRIBE Member

actually, keele is a hit & miss during rush, and eglinton can pack right up. dosen't really save very much time, if any at all.

i use it coming home sometimes as one of my buds live at keele and st clair.

at that time of day, good routes are slim, i'd just factor in the extra 1/2 hour.

18. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

I do this drive everyday too and this is correct - it will be an extra 20 minutes, that's it.

Although as suggested, snaking your way north and west through the city is pretty quick. Lansdowne -> Davenport -> Old Weston -> Rogers -> Black Creek -> 401 is best imo

19. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

black creek can be a severe mindfuck of traffic around rush hour.

20. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

yeah I see now that he said afternoon rush - for some reason I was thinking morning.

leaving the city for afternoon rush will suck no matter what

21. ravinjunkie

ravinjunkie TRIBE Member

where are you coming from?
    depends on that..

dundas across to 427. again i have no idea where in dt..

i'd take richmond west till bathurst, left at dundas until 427. other tribers are right, i think it'd be a bitch no matter where u go from. what time r u leaving the core?

22. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Charter a plane/chopper from Island airport.

23. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I'm leaving from the foot of the DVP at 5pm for a 7:30pm domestic flight.

I'll be fine.

24. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

From that point there is only one option and that is to get on the lakeshore, stay in the left lane all the way to the 427 exit. Not at Jameson. It should be closed anyway.

The jam up starts on the gardiner just east of your position and it moves SLOW till at least Jameson. While it may take the same amount as the Gardiner depending on varying factors, I prefer to at least be moving and not stop and go so much. Also you will be under shade for a bit.

From that point going through the city would suck. Period.

25. Phat Buddha

Phat Buddha TRIBE Member

fly porter?