• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

question for music video affectionado's

TRO

TRIBE Member
ok this is for the aspiring directors of tribe...very curious on your thoughts

Hype williams has directed some really cool videos in his day and even though he does mainly rap videos with the booze and ho's mindset some of the shots he uses are very interesting and the scenes are really very nicely desgined...also belly was a really beautiful extended music video and also he's slated to do the new superfly remake

now he seems to be on this whole "3-way" split screen thing that started from gold digger I guess was the first instance he used that I saw

now a handful of videos have come out that are all by him but have the same thing in all of them...

it's acctually quite annoying now and has really put me off a somewhat good director...

anyone else who appreciates this and who has seen this can amplify on this or put thier 2 cents in?

if you need further proof of what I mean some videos for you to check that are all by him

Kanye - Gold digger
slim thug - I aint herd of that
beyonce - Check On It
ll cool J and j lo's new tune
Diamonds On My Neck - Smitty
pharell - angel
ne-yo - so sick

all of these videos have the top and bottom letter box in motion and seriously once or twice I can handle but why would he do it all the time?

Originally posted by TRO

now a handful of videos have come out that are all by him but have the same thing in all of them...

it's acctually quite annoying now and has really put me off a somewhat good director...

anyone else who appreciates this and who has seen this can amplify on this or put thier 2 cents in?
More than likely he's probably being told by either the record label or the artist that he's got to stay in line with what everyone else is doing.

Keep in mind this just keeps reminding me how similar to Metal Hip Hop has become. Metal videos were a dime a dozen for the most part featuring concert footage and not a fuck of a lot else. Now every hip hop video needs to have a shot of the rapper posing to the camera, sitting on some outrageously expensive car/SUV and a lot of slow motion shots of them looking around or trying to look thoughtful.

Thing is, Hype Williams should have some pull and clout with his body of work, but I can't help but think he's slumming to a certain degree. I mean a lot of his videos look a lot like mini-Jerry Bruckheimer films - and not in a good way.

I seriously doubt he'll get one of those video anthology discs like Michel Gondry, Anton Cojbin, Spike Jones and the rest given how interchangeable a lot of his work is.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TRO

Hype williams has directed some really cool videos in his...

all of these videos have the top and bottom letter box in motion and seriously once or twice I can handle but why would he do it all the time?
---> yes, he has directed some cool music videos.

I remember that busta rhymes/janet jackson video with the water droplets and the stereo speakers. That was awesome.

Thanks for the reminder - I definitely would consider him an inspiration for me. This dude slipped out of my mind!

--> I'll definitely check out some music videos sometime and look out for the motion box thing.

maybe he thinks it's a signature thing to have in all his lastest videos or he just can't get enough of it.

: )

/useless two cents

TRO

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: question for music video affectionado's

Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa

I seriously doubt he'll get one of those video anthology discs like Michel Gondry, Anton Cojbin, Spike Jones and the rest given how interchangeable a lot of his work is.

he does have a relaes called Hype williams - the Vdeos
relaeased on palm pictures

thing that kills me is alot of his videos WERE asthetically beautiful...

one video that comes to mind was busta's put your hands where my eyes can see...which really was frantic and stunning which captured the feel or vibe of the track

I just hope he ditches this letterbox filler crap soon

Re: Re: Re: question for music video affectionado's

Originally posted by TRO
he does have a relaes called Hype williams - the Vdeos
relaeased on palm pictures

thing that kills me is alot of his videos WERE asthetically beautiful...

really? Didn't know he had that video anthology. As for the beautiful part, I agree wholeheartedly, but his style reminded me too much of Michael Bay. Fantastic lighting but very little substance as of late. He's capable of much more, but I can't help but get the feeling that he's lost the passion for his work.

one video that comes to mind was busta's put your hands where my eyes can see...which really was frantic and stunning which captured the feel or vibe of the track

I just hope he ditches this letterbox filler crap soon
I've seen that video too. I really liked his ideas that he married to the music, but like I said, it seems like he's lost those ideas and has just succumbed to doing the status quo.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories