• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

question about "Shoot Em Up"

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
shoot-em-up-carrot.jpg

ok for those of you who have seen this movie, do you think that clive owen and the other actors in it thought (at the time they were making the movie) that this is a cool movie or do you think that they knew at the time that this was pure cheese?

i had this discussion with someone about another movie [tango and cash]. i believe that at the time of the movie stallone and russell thought that this was a PURE ACTION PACKED MOVIE that was "cool" and that they were the sh!t. i dont believe that they thought it was cheese at the time. in todays society anyone that watches it im sure would think that its a pure 80's ch33se flick.

im curious to know what some of you think :)

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
if you want to hear the best director commentary, watch the dvd for Dungeons And Dragons... its a horrible movie but the director and cast think its going to be a hit so they're raving about all the pure cheese scenes like they're just fighting off oscar nominations.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
Krzysiu said:
if you want to hear the best director commentary, watch the dvd for Dungeons And Dragons... its a horrible movie but the director and cast think its going to be a hit so they're raving about all the pure cheese scenes like they're just fighting off oscar nominations.
lol...awesome! would love to see that

coleridge

TRIBE Member
They knew what it was going to be.

I'm pretty sure that through their agents and reading scripts they would have known what the movie was all about.

It wasn't a case of the movie just turning out that way, it was envisioned to be an over-the-top tribute to cheese action movies. They said as much in their interviews about the movie.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
*SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT*

When you kill the Bad Guy by holding bullets between your fingers and put your hand in a fire to "activate" the bullets.....I'm pretty sure you know it's cheese.

Plus the carrot eating during shoot-outs.

I'd hope they knew what they were doing.

d.code

TRIBE Member
they knew it was going to be cheese.

Best director comentary evar is on the Conan disc. The govrenator has no idea whats going on and he just rambles.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I'm not entirely sure they knew it was going to be cheese but they knew it was going to be over the top and totally unrealistic action.

The dvd extras have interviews where they talk about wanting to do a pure, over the top action movie... however I think that when they were developing the concept and filming it they might not have known it was going to be as TERRIBLE as it was.

However seeing as it was filmed in TO, I'm sure someone around here worked on it.

Caz

TRIBE Member
Come on. You can't have a screenplay that includes that level of cheese and think it will be taken seriously. I can just see it now

Ok guys, this is the "Shooting bad guys from every side while still humping a prostitue standing up scene" Gimme your game faces.

OR

Alright Clive, this is where you kill the bad guy by jamming a carrot in his eye and out the back of his head. Aaaaaand action.

They knew it was cheese.

Also as a side not TANGO AND CASH WAS NOT CHEESE. That movie was bad ass for it's time, and is only cheese now. Par for the course back then.

slim charles

TRIBE Member
Caz said:
Also as a side not TANGO AND CASH WAS NOT CHEESE. That movie was bad ass for it's time, and is only cheese now. Par for the course back then.

YES!!

"Cash and Tango, Tango and Cash... these two cops are driving me crazy!!"

this movie rocks. yes, it may seem cheesy by today's standards, but as an 80's action flick it rocks.

and it has Jack Palance. JACK PALANCE!

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
what about all the OVER THE TOP cheese one liners in tango and cash? tango in the first scene where he stands infront of his convertable and the truck is coming at him at warp speed and he doesnt flinch? or when tango said "rambo is a pussy". thats PURE cheese and thats only the FIRST scene!.

Tango and Cash wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Lethal Weapon 1 & 2 - it's a riff on the buddy cop film genre that dominated the early 90's. They originally wanted Schwarzenegger for the role of Cash.