• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Question about needled/cartridges

aki

TRIBE Promoter
Is expensive really that much better? I'm using Stanton 500 series right now and wondering if I should upgrade.

Probably a stupid question but, is it more than just sound quality that makes a needle better? I'm not playing out anywhere right now, but I will be making CD's. For that purpose should I use better needles such as Ortofons or the Stanton Trackmaster series?

Yeah, I'm a newbie who knows nothing about this stuff so I really appreciate your suggestions.

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
I alays found a huge difference whan I upgraded my cartridges. I switched to stanton iTracks a few years ago, and I recently switched to Ortofon Concorde DJ-E's. I find that it is worth the money to just go and buy the ortofon's. There is a marked difference in sound quality, trackng ability, and basically every other category I can think of.

peace,
Dave
alphastate~

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by quantumdj
I alays found a huge difference whan I upgraded my cartridges. I switched to stanton iTracks a few years ago, and I recently switched to Ortofon Concorde DJ-E's. I find that it is worth the money to just go and buy the ortofon's. There is a marked difference in sound quality, trackng ability, and basically every other category I can think of.

peace,
Dave
alphastate~
But i compared the Frequency Response on Stanton 500's to a high end pair and it was the same... the only thing that looked different was the actual output level.

:confused:

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
Concordes rule!

I agree. I started with the Stanton 500 series too, but upgrades to the Ortofon Concordes. I was so amazed by the difference between the two, as it is incredibly significant (and the Stanton's aren't exactly bad either...). As far as sound quality, volume, tracking etc. etc. are concerned (please pardon my substitutes for the technical terms that I cannot remember offhand), the difference is incredible.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Scorched Earth

TRIBE Member
Ortofons

I heard that Ortofons really dig deep into the grooves in your vinyl and hence wear it down quicker. Is this true?

Cheers,

Jake

G-FrEsH

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by dj_jeffpayne
Sorry to sway to topic a bit but I'm just wondering how much damage can old needles do to your records?
It doesn't Really do damage but it makes your Records look Really dirty. Like theres alot of dust on your record but when you go to wipe it off it doesn't come off... But then again it doesn't look that bad.
Plus the higher up the cost the better it is to work wit it overall.
like if you gotta rush in a mix or your mixin really quick the chance of the needle skippin if very slim.
Id recommend it.

DAve.....

Dave Lee

TRIBE Member
Ortonfon Concordes all the way.

Try and get the half-concordes with the elliptical tip. It's sort of the subjective but I've heard the half concordes sit on the record better than the full-body solution. Also, the elliptical tip sits the the groove deeper meaning you'll get more sound.

As far as stats go on freq range and shit, just because the specs SAY it does something doesn't mean it'll perform that well under normal circumstances.

Every DJ on the planet, minus hip-hop DJs who will sell you on the Shure's (for good reason) would probably recommend Ortofons.

One warning though... if you're playing records every day for more than and hour on a constant basis I would recommend swapping needles every 6-12 months. Cartridges these days go for like $55 in Toronto.

dave