• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Question about commuting

Karim

TRIBE Member
Hey everyone, I just got a job in the financial district and my significant other works as an occasional teacher in the York Region school board. We're thinking about where to move to and was wondering if it would be wise to get a place in the heart of downtown, or more north (Yonge & Eg).

She'd be driving and I'd take public transit. If she gets a call at around 7am to be in a school for ~8am, is that doable if we lived near the Gardiner? I'd imagine that the traffic leaving the city isn't as bad as coming in, but we don't have a ton of experience with this kind of commute and am wondering if it'd be a bad idea to be right downtown.

Thanks

Stop Bill C-10

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
York region, like possibly up to newmarket?

If the commute is the only consideration I'd live at Finch station. The farther out you are when you start the better. I used to do cabbagetown to Aurora and it was about 45 mins, but that was 15 years ago. Traffic IS better going out than coming in, but everything is relative. It's better as in it's not quite as shitty.

Karim

TRIBE Member
She specified her regions as Vaughn, Richmond Hill and Markham (and North York I believe) so she wouldn't be going as far as New Market or Aurora

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Karim

TRIBE Member
Too bad, cause newmarket and Aurora is a straight shot up the 404! Going across SUCKS

She could always adjust her reach, that's not set in stone.

The commute would suck but it is for an occasional teacher role after all. She may not get too many calls (or there could be weeks where she gets frequent calls).

We both want downtown living for around 2 years but if it's a detriment to her ability to do her job, then we wouldn't. Ideally, we'd move back out of the city when she gets a full time position and we start to look into having kids.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Well, you'd be taking a shitty long subway ride every day vs her doing a shitty commute once in a while. plus all the advantages of not living at the finch subway!

Better to live downtown and walk or bike for you IMO!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Only issue going north from eglinton is each stop is SO FAR from each other north of eg...

I did it last week for a one off thing and I was like, thank God I don't have to go north of eglinton all that often.

But having lived on eglinton near mt pleasant it's a very live able area of town often underrated from downtown denizens who consider it "way north", everything you need is walking distance there and great selection of local stores and restaurants

Yonge and Eg is crazy expensive if you're looking to own. Thornhill might be something a bit more affordable and meet the compromise better that you're looking for.

There's been a lot of development in Thornhill, but you can still get in on a pre-build or something already built.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
tumblr_nm3i2gRotu1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

if you are looking to commute using any road into or out of the city or the ttc....youre gonna have a bad time

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
For a number of years, I commuted from 'downtownish' (Parkdale) to Markham. The Gardiner and lower DVP always seemed to have issues regardless of what time it was (congestion, accidents, construction) and was always the slowest part of the trip north (and south in the evening). Once you got past the 401 changeover it was a breeze heading north against traffic. By all accounts the Gardiner/Lower DVP has gotten a lot worse since I stopped doing it 6 years ago (Boy Wonder whines constantly). Your other half would be wise to have alternate routes as stand-byes to get past those inevitable traffic snarls.

As for your trip south into the core, keep in mind that the southbound subway is often packed by the time it gets to York Mills (where I currently escape the subway) and I'm always happy that my commute still goes against traffic, even on transit. Southbound does not look fun at all (or northbound in the evenings).

As for living, I worked at Yonge and Eglinton for several years and found it over priced and highly over-rated. You'd be better off (both from a 'cost of living' and a 'fun' point of view) living just outside of the core in either Parkdale (yay west end!!!) or in the Leaside/Beach area to the east. You could easily hop on the Queen car from either direction and your better half could dodge the Gardiner or at least spend less time in the squishy zone.

My 2 cents anyhow. :)

djfear

TRIBE Member
I live in the south east in corktown. I'm a 3 minute drive from Gardiner going north, and I think at 7am you're not really hitting serious traffic northbound. It's a 22-28 minute walk to the financial district depending on where you're walking from.

https://goo.gl/maps/A1GUyVn3K2C2

select the "typical traffic" drop down where you see live traffic and select a typical weekday, like Monday to Thursday around 715am.

If you're walking distance to work then you're saving yourself $140 or whatever it is for the TTC. That is car insurance money.

The only gripe I would have with Yonge & Eg is that you're in the middle of the city and nowhere close to a highway. You also said she's part time, so if you're strictly looking out for the greater good, it would be important for you to walk to work.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I live at Eglinton/Spadina. It is a perfect location for getting around the city. You can get to the 401 in 6 minutes (when the traffic flowing) and downtown in 10. Lots of transit options and upcoming LRT. My place is small but it the trade off for shortish commute and city lifestyle.

That being said, it the big city and getting around can be a pain. If you want no traffic, move to Peterborough.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Eglinton will be a lot better when that crosstown is done, and the Mississauga BRT leg will be done even sooner!

But after moving on top of the subway I decided that I will move to where the good transit is NOW - rather than somewhere it WILL BE, cause, who knows, right?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
If you move near to main station you can get a go train sticker added to your ttc metropass for unlimited rides to union. So it'd give you flexibility and quality of life (one shot downtown and back, or take the subway/street car etc)... I can personally recommend this as an option. But may be too far East for you? DVP is O'Connor & Greenwood if you're looking for it...

diablo

TRIBE Member
Having had two hellish commutes with recent jobs (driving to Burlington and driving to Steeles + Vic Park), I would never again work so far from home, especially if working 9-5. The frustration and wasted time (to say nothing of extra gas) is not worth whatever you save on a home.

Also, going "against traffic" is hardly a panacea anymore, especially in winter.

TLDR: concentrate on shortening the daily "for sure" commute, not the potential, "sometimes" commute.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Man after years of struggling in the city with commutes etc, i vowed after doing the 9-5 thing and driving on the 401 daily to never do so again. Its hellish. I can still remember clearly being stuck on the 401 or the adjacent roads during snow fall and the city just stopping, FUCK NO, NOT EVER AGAIN, ZERO.

In fact the ideal travel time for myself and my lady is 30 mins or less including walking, etc.

We had been living in the east end due to how cheap our place is, but her commute was taking a solid 40-50 minutes via TTC vs mine that when driving is 10-15 min/ 17-25 min biking.

Totally unfair so we moving to Leaside ! 25 min commute for the lady now, and basically my commute will be slightly longer if drive due to Eglinton construction and the side roads having more traffic due to this, but biking should be the same and much nicer due to no more 60-80km/hr plus roads that i have to ride on.

Guess it all depends on how often she is working, and what your ideal desired commute times are.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Thanks for all of this amazing info guys. This really gives me a lot of things to think about when looking for a place.

Unfortunately, we will have no idea how frequent her calls are in the new year. Her family (in Pickering/Ajax) is trying to sell us on the idea of living up here, have me take the Go and her take the 407. We might do that for January/February to get a feel for her job frequency, and then make the jump downtown and pick a location based on the info provided here. Thanks!

djfear

TRIBE Member
Thanks for all of this amazing info guys. This really gives me a lot of things to think about when looking for a place.

Unfortunately, we will have no idea how frequent her calls are in the new year. Her family (in Pickering/Ajax) is trying to sell us on the idea of living up here, have me take the Go and her take the 407. We might do that for January/February to get a feel for her job frequency, and then make the jump downtown and pick a location based on the info provided here. Thanks!

We all know that this is just the silliest idea ever, but 2 months won't kill ya. :p

praktik

TRIBE Member
I love transit cause I can zone out, read, manage my FIFA Ultimate Team trades..;)

After moving out to bloor west and working in MIssissauga mostly loving it - the subway is positively civilized both directions as its empty by the time it picks me up going west and I frequently get on at kipling

The only thing that burns me is I cross that invisible line, pay two fares

I have a presto card but there is no MiWay/TTC transferring and wont be for a while.

At least the BRT is gonna be done next year and it will shave significant time off the Mississauga city streets part of the journey which is RIDONK @ 5pm, can take ~45 mins just to make it to the highway onramp!

stryker

TRIBE Member

I would seriously consider Pickering. We moved here from Yonge and Eglinton and it's been great but if you're looking for nightlife and bars and bands, then it wont fit. If commuting into the city is your priority, it's on par with any place in the city that isn't on top of a subway line.

The Lakeshore line has trains every half and hour. The milk run from Pickering to Union takes 40 mins but during rush hours they have about 5 trains during each period that are express straight to Pickering. It takes 25 mins and you can get a seat most of the time.

Getting to Pickering GO station from anywhere in Pickering is less than 10mins.

I leave my house at 7:55am, stop for a tea, park the car, walk to the track and catch the 8:15am train. It gets to Union Station by 8:40am sitting and I'm at my desk by 8:50am. I work at Bay and Richmond.

I think you're wife will be screwed living anywhere south of Sheppard trying to get North of the city. Cottagers and construction in the summer, snow and idiot drivers in the winter. The 407 is a breeze compared to city driving.

Stew