1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Query : Switched from a AGP to PCI Video Card.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, Jun 9, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

if i also have my wireless card in a PCI slot, would it slow down my bandwidth at all?

logically i know it shouldnt, and havent found anything online suggesting this.

after having installed it yesterday, i have noticed that while still loading, it feels slightly sluggish compared to what it normally is.

or maybe teksavvy has just not been up to par yesterday and maybe today.

MARKLAR.

thoughts anyone?

[jai]

2. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

PCI video card? Maybe you forgot to optimize the AT string on your 2400 baud modem :mad:

3. glych t.anomaly

yeah my AGP card the fan started making some awful noise, and it was annoying as eff.

and since i didnt want to spend alot of money on a Video card for a PC tower that is essentially 3-4 years old, i opted on getting a 60$ card, since i dont game or anything that requires serious Video rendering etc.

so never having used a PCI card, i wanted to know if there is any premise for it slowing down my wireless G Network card in the other PCI slot.

i should totally optimize the AT string, and my Linksys WRT54G BAUD router :p

the modem however is brand news and methinks its the last thing causing me trooobles.

[jai]

4. Shug

Shug TRIBE Member

You spent $60 for a PCI video card? :O

5. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Is it a straight up PCI slot or is it a specialized PCI video card slot?

6. glych t.anomaly

7. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

The max bandwidth of the PCI BUS is 128MB/sec
    I doubt your PCI video card pushes any real amount of data, and your wireless G network card won't break 5MB/second, so no, you're fine.
    There might be weird latency issues though due to each card wanting priority...

8. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Depends on your mobo, check your model and see if you have multiple PCI busses. That said given that the max speed of the PCI bus is ~130MBps and the max speed of your AGP slot is probably 10 to 20 times (at 4x and 8x respectively) I think its a fair assumption that your video card may be saturating your bus.

9. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Correction: after further research I agree with the Dr.

10. glych t.anomaly

sweet i exchanged it, and that seemed to do the trick.

:)

something i never would have thought would happen, but good to know.

[jai]