• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Quentin Harris and Danny T @ Cielo

Phat Albert

TRIBE Member
patio-d, jesse and kyra (who were in town to celebrate May 2-4 in the big apple) and i checked out this jam. without sounding melodramatic it was a little bit of house music history.

we were super stoked for the deep and soulful sounds of Quentin Harris and what was being billed as a special soulful house set by Danny T got there just before 11:00 to enjoy the deep, sexy, luscious sounds of Quentin Harris. he played what i thought was the best track of the night. the chorus went something along the lines of "stop that train, turn it around...". any help IDing the track would be much appreciated.

anyway, the vibe was sick... happy and upbeat with constant smiles and hands in the air. before Danny T came on, Jason Walker, who recently released a track with Quentin Harris provided live vocals before introducing Danny T.

Danny T gave a little speech prior to his set, which is when everyone in the packed club started getting the warm fuzzies. he thanked everyone in attendance for the opportunity to play for them and admitted how nervous he was to be playing in front of Quentin Harris (his favorite dj/producer at the moment) and Danny Krivit (who was standing by the dj booth). he then told the crowd he hoped he could give us what we came for. needless to say, the crowd went, as pat often says, "BUCK!"

For about a half hour, Danny T maintained the soul with lots of vocals, keys and strings and the crowd was absolutely lovin' it. i haven't seen so many smiling faces at a party in a long time. the next hour or so was much darker, harder and far more driving. although it wasn't exactly what i was looking for, it was nice to be reminded of what it felt like to be raving! the last hour of his set was off the hook with a combination of soul, builds and funky, tracky goodness. we were all sweating buckets and jesse said it best when he said he was hoping for one bad track so we could finally take a break.

Then, the real history began. Danny T got back on the mic and reiterated how nervous he was (given who was in attendance) that he had stained himself. he mentioned that amongst the crowd were not only Quentin harris and Danny Krivit, but Joe Clausell, Louis Vega and Kenny Dope and the crowd went nuts as each name was mentioned. NYC house legends in the house gave it a little more of a nostalgic feeling! he told the crowd that he had been doing this for 30 years and that he still loves it! to conclude his set, he told the crowd that he had been experimenting with Pro Tools and had put together a little mash-up. then, the bass line from "Follow Me" by Aly-Us kicked and everyone in the club absolutely lost their shit... then after a few bars "Finally" by Kings of Tomorrow kicked and everyone in the club lost their shit even further. Danny T cut the track at moments while the entire club sang in unison.

That was the end of his set and after that, we were done.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Nice. Ive always wanted to check out a Fresh Fruit party, sounds like you picked a good one...did Claussell play? I heard that he did (from a not-so-credible source).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deevah

TRIBE Member
claussell is playing on the 30th, i saw the flyer somewhere - it's a nuyorican soul party w/ LLV and others

I heard about this party - i would've loved to be there

that finally/follow me mash up is awesome...Julie Knight's vocal is pitched way down and then the synth line from aly-us kicks in....still blows me away everytime i hear it. DT played it in TO @ the Docks last time...somewhere around 4pm ;)

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
deevah said:
claussell is playing on the 30th, i saw the flyer somewhere - it's a nuyorican soul party w/ LLV and others

I heard about this party - i would've loved to be there

that finally/follow me mash up is awesome...Julie Knight's vocal is pitched way down and then the synth line from aly-us kicks in....still blows me away everytime i hear it. DT played it in TO @ the Docks last time...somewhere around 4pm ;)

Do you know if it's floating around digitally anywhere? Would be interested to hear it.

kmac

TRIBE Member
Sounds like fun! I should have gone but knew if I hit this up I would have missed my flight home.

deevah

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
Do you know if it's floating around digitally anywhere? Would be interested to hear it.

HA! nope
it's floating around on danny's mac lappy but not on the intarweb that i know of

only 1 copy AFAIK

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
I'd love to see him again if he's back in town soon. What version of Finally did he use? I'm trying to imagine what the track would sound like :eek:

deevah

TRIBE Member
^ when he plays big rooms, he usually saves the yummy house for last....he usually starts off pretty tech --> prog --> tribal --> garage/loft classics and whatever he feels like

i <3 dt in a small room, cielo woulda been great...he played a nite there last year too. His Groovejet classics gig in miami was simply divine! I'd LOVE to have him play a small venue like that here in TO but there really isn't a place i can think of that would be suitable :(

deevah

TRIBE Member
dany, i think he was talking about the track, not the upcoming party...but that was the gig i was referring to

quit pushin' your parties on us!!! :p

:D

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
deevah said:
dany, i think he was talking about the track, not the upcoming party...but that was the gig i was referring to

quit pushin' your parties on us!!! :p

:D

i wish that was my party. trust me.

d

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
Good review dude. Memories and jealousy, but yet happy that you had a fucking kick ass time all rolled up into the 2 minutes it took to read your review.

patio-d

TRIBE Member
I can confirm the BUCKNESS! This party was a bit of New York magic for me and the perfect climax to an incredible weekend...
My first time in Cielo and I fell in love with the room. Somehow the room feels really open and even tropical somehow, despite the small 300 person capacity. We found our places on the floor and got to cutting MEAN rugs. Great dancefloor, it's kinda slippery and really easy to dance around on. Great sound.. perfectly crisp. And there are these super cool tube-lights that ring around the walls and cross the ceiling, which flash and change colours and feel totally disco-fabulous. Anyways, it's just a really warm and welcoming club, and the opening set that Quentin Harris was playing matched the warm room perfectly. Super sexy house.. track after track of sublime prettyness.
Phat Albert figured out that the track he was trying to ID was a really nice remix of 'Tallula' by Jamiroquai..
So Danny stepped up a couple minutes after midnight.. the first few tracks had the place going bonkers. Totally electric vibes. I was I was more of a house head so I could name some tracks... About halfway in he did what he said he wasn't going to do at the beginning and got kinda techier. He kinda lost the room for a little bit cause this crowd was pretty diva and was wanting to hear music to match. He came back around to the soulful tip and totally destroyed the place with his last 6 or 7 pre-speech tracks. Finally the speech as described by Albert:
'Zip up my boots, these are my roots.' He kinda commented on how this kind of house music is his roots and how now he's playing at Crobar, and not to cut-on Crobar because Crobar pays his bills, but that this was really special to him, etc.. Then he dropped into the Follow Me/ Finally mashup and people were bouncing off the walls.
I'm not sure if Clausell played afterwords or not. Danny said at the beginning that Quentin Harris would be coming back on after, but we left. Four party-monster days had left us weary and punchdrunk.
Al, you're the host with the most. Thanks for everything brother.

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
Here's Danny's review from dtourism

"It was an un-announced event. Sorry everyone. We simply could not promote it BIG - as Cielo is a small venue and the intention was to keep it as intimate as possible. I was a guest DJ in honor of 3 Birthday peeps involved in their FRESH FRUIT Party.
BENNY SOTO, KEVIN WILLIAMS & JESSICA! Happy Birthday again.
I played form about 12-2:30am then Quentin Harris went back on and rocked it!

Imagine my nerves playing while Lil' Louie Vega, Kenny Dope, Danny Krivit, Joe Claussell, Honey Dijon, Hani, Adam Goldstone & the Cielo Residents - Tedd Patterson, Willie Graff are all there in front of me ? (n e r v o u s)

But I had a blast playing all those obscure and deep rarities I have - that I've had up my sleeve for years. -

Yes, I still get nervous! Especially at Cielo. I love the place, but I'll say it again and again and I DON'T CARE .......
THE DJ SET UP & LIGHTING IS EONS BEHIND AND AN EMBARRASSMENT!

Cielo should BE ashamed considering all it's awards and great reputation!
I don't even have to say any more because I know they know. But obviously, not many others care enough to say HEY, THIS SET UP BLOWS! BOO!

I figure MAYBE if I say something, change will happen? I've got nothing to lose. I just wanna help the place BE all that it can BE!

I will not be there again until it's out of the 70s/80s and into the millennium.
This is NOT some DIVA typing, this is a professional entertainer and I speak on behalf of ALL my peers! I'm very easy to work with and most people know this about me.

Thanks to all that came and danced! Let's do it again ........

Manny F, Niki, Antman, Matt, Mark F., Burchan, Ron, Melanie, Silverbull, Borali, Bryan Galvan, DJ DEKO DEAN! LOL

More shouts later .... I need sleep"

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Danny T said:
\
Yes, I still get nervous! EspeciAlly at Cielo. I love the place, but I'll say it again and again and I DON'T CARE .......
THE DJ SET UP & LIGHTING IS EONS BEHIND AND AN EMBARRASSMENT!

Cielo should BE Ashamed considering all it's awards and great reputation!
I DOn't even have to say any more because I know they know. But obvioUsly, not many others Care enough to say HEY, THIS SET UP BLOWS! BOO!

I figure MAYBE if I say something, change will happen? I've got nothing to lose. I just wanna help the place BE all that it can BE!

I will not be there aGain until it's out of the 70s/80s and into the millennium.
This is NOT some DIVA typing, this is a professional entertainer and I speak on behalf of ALL my peers! I'm very easy to work with and most people know this about me.

:rolleyes: