1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Quebec Cops Rough Up Female in Cuffs

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by scruffy1, Oct 13, 2005.

1. scruffy1

scruffy1 TRIBE Member

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...opterarrestvideo_20051012/20051013?hub=Canada

TV camera records rough arrest in Montreal

CTV.ca News Staff

Police in Montreal are facing tough questions, after a Quebec television station helicopter caught a brutal arrest on tape.

When a Montreal police officer investigating a shoplifting complaint arrived on the scene Wednesday morning, his cruiser was rammed by the suspects' vehicle.

Police briefly chased the vehicle, managing to stop and detain the female driver and her male companion after it had crashed into several other vehicles.

As a hovering television news helicopter records the entire incident from the air, officers can then be seen struggling with the female suspect, trying to control the handcuffed woman.

Several times, an officer's forearm can be seen apparently punching the woman in the back. As the woman is shoved headfirst into the patrol car, her head is seen striking the vehicle's doorframe.

The arresting officer and a colleague are then seen taking the woman to the other side of the car where her head again hits the cruiser. Then, with the suspect inside the car a few seconds later, a baton is produced and prodded through the open door.

The woman was later taken to hopital with minor injuries.

From his perspective, one young eyewitness says the force police used appeared to be excessive.

"They could have been less rough on her because she's probably getting hurt," he told CTV News Montreal.

But according to the president of the Black Coalition of Quebec, the incident is a stark but not surprising example of a widespread problem.

"It is a brutal intervention by the police," Philip told CTV, accusing the arresting officers of acting as "judge, jury and executioner."

"What we have seen, whether it's here or elsewhere, it is the culture that dominates that dominates the police: the culture of brutality."

Montreal Police Insp. Paul Chablo believes the TV footage paints a misleading portrait of events.

"What was shown today was a small video clip that didn't show the beginning or after the events," he told CTV Newsnet, noting that the first officer on the scene suffered injuries including a concussion when he was struck by the fleeing suspects' vehicle.

According to a spokesperson for the Montreal Police force, the arresting officer's actions are not yet under investigation.

Despite the optics of the day's events, Insp. Chablo said there should be no doubt the police force will pursue a criminal investigation of the officers' conduct. But, he cautioned, the public should not assume police are only interested in smoothing over a potential public relations disaster.

"We have a policy of transparency," he said. "If we are made aware of situations we always investigate ... Obviously if we aren't made aware, we are unable to investigate."

Lt. Stephen Roberts, a retired homocide detective, told Canada AM that the arresting officer appears to have been still reeling from the police chase ahead of the arrest.

"If you look at the constable that made the arrest, his adrenaline is very high," he said. "He was fed up with her and he went and shoved her into the car, which he should never, never have done."

Roberts added it appears to him that the arresting officer made a few mistakes.

"When he takes her around to the other side, this is the biggest mistake. He tries to put her in frontwards, which is impossible to do. People's reaction are when you try to put them in the car when you're handcuffed, a large percentage of your balance is gone. When you try to push them in frontwards, they raise their head.

"He should have turned her around, lowered her head and pushed her into the car backwards."

Video (sorry about the commercial at the beginning... you can skip it by going to the website above and following the link on the right)

And cops wonder why people hate them. Incidents like this disgust me. What makes it worse, is that they act like nothing was wrong... cops like this deserve to go to jail.

Pigs.

2. Cydome

Cydome TRIBE Member

3. scruffy1

scruffy1 TRIBE Member

Actually, it's ok if the suspect is black. It's in the policy manual.

4. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

sounds like a Rocco flick.

5. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

I can't see the video at work so I don't know *how* bad it is, but this woman had already tried to run over a few cops according to the article, and then crashed into a bunch of other cars when they caught her.

If I'd done the same thing, I sure wouldn't expect the cops to keep the kid gloves on when they arrest me.

6. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Rocco Loves Chicks in Cuffs 3

7. Cydome

Cydome TRIBE Member

From what they said on the news last night she didn't try to run any of them over, she just rammed one of the patrol cars. And even so, when you watch the video you can tell she's obviously under control, they then proceed to slam her into the cruiser a few times and smash her head on the roof as the shoved her into the backseat. I hope they felt like big men, roughing up a girl like that :rolleyes:

8. Rataxès

Rataxès TRIBE Member

Har har har

9. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

I'm sitting on the fence about this incident.

On one hand, the use of force does seem excessive given the suspect is clearly not going to overpower the officers and could have easily been restrained in a less violent fashion.

On the other hand, I think police officers should be given the benefit of the doubt when their lives have been put in danger. If someone rams your car, I think you should have a bit of slack in terms of following police procedure -- even if it's technically considered "excessive."

10. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Nah I watched it last night on TVA, at the point when the police get really violent they already have her under control. Up until the suspect is in cuffs I'm willing to side with the police in all but a very few circumstances.

This was a very different circumstance. They beat this woman very intentionally and after they had already gained control of the circumstance. Multiple officers are involved and none stop the other from doing this they all just join in. She was already CLEARLY in cuffs when this attack occured.

11. dvs

dvs TRIBE Promoter

big deal. just ramming a cops car. pffft. not saying it justified a beating but the act itself should not be diminished. in some cases, attempted murder is the charge if you're trying to run someone down with your car.

d

12. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Sure I agree!

Up until the suspect is in cuffs, as soon as she was in cuffs she was of so little danger that this cannot be considered self-defense.

A previous attempt that could be considered assault with intent (ramming with the car) is clearly a case for the courts, we don't allow vigilante justice and any attack on someone already in custody and cuffed is little more.

13. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega TRIBE Member

Right. Now step back a sec....breathe.....and think.

What "they" said on the news last night is immaterial. Here's what we know so far:

Suspect was allegedly shoplifting. Maybe causing a disturbance in the store as well (granted, that's an assumption on my part). When trying to get away, she rammed the car of the investigating cop.

(Now here is where you downplay it.....but you know what....if someone rams my car, I'm pretty pissed, maybe even scared. 3000 pounds of metal coming at me can hurt, especially if it hits on drivers side).

She also rammed into "several other vehicles" when the cops gave chase. And then she struggled when they tried to detain her.

Now of course the reaction by the police is predictable. We all know what typically happens when anyone challenges them in this manner but while I do not defend or condone said actions, we really don't know everything that happened. Maybe the girl was high...maybe she actually resisted....who knows. Maybe (as suggested by her driving into other cars) she actually posed a genuine danger, to herself, to the cops and to other motorists. I know you say she was "obviously" under control but how do you know?

And yes she was taken to hospital with "minor injures" so she probably wasn't hurt too badly. She probably was hurt about as badly as I'd expect to be if I:

-shoplifted
    -took off and made the cops chase
    -rammed into their car
    -rammed into a bunch of other cars as well

I know the automatic reaction on this board is to instantly blame the "fucking pigs" but come on guys.....it's not always that clear cut.

Rob

14. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

My point is that self-defense should not be the litmus test for whether the police officers acted inappropriately.

Let's say I walk up to you, and completely unprovoked, punch you in the face. In self-defense, you may punch me in the face or tackle me to the ground. That's perfectly justified. Now let's say you also happened to throw in a couple of extra punches because you're really angry at me for being such a huge asshole. Should you go to jail too?

15. derek

derek TRIBE Member

16. Cydome

Cydome TRIBE Member

Oh yeah, I’m in no way saying that what was on the news I saw was the final word on this, it was more of a “this is the version I heard†kinda comment.

I should have said “newsâ€â€¦

This is all speculation anyways, but maybe the cop tried to force her off the road and when they collided it was reported as her “ramming†him and then when she lost control due to this and careened into several other vehicles on the road they were also considered to have been “rammed�

17. scruffy1

scruffy1 TRIBE Member

I know, because you can see it on a VIDEO tape. She is SLAMMED head first in the b-beam on a cop car, twice. And punched, in the back... and the whole time she is in handcuffs and is not resisting in any way.

In Canada we simply do not allow vigilante justice, and this is a prime example of why.

Who cares that she hit a car, or stole, or caused a disturbance; NONE of those actions justify policy smacking someone in cuffs around.

And yes, it is clear cut. Police enforce the law, they do not have the authority to judge to what extent the law applies, hence the reason we have judges.

If anyone else did that they would go to jail, cuffs or no cuffs.

18. scruffy1

scruffy1 TRIBE Member

yes... that's assault.

19. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

<pulls pin>this is just like that babylon incident and pride day

once you're in cuffs the beating should stop, there is a very small % of the population that could still inflict harm to 6+ officers.

20. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

Yah, one good turn deserves another right? Slam into a police cruiser, you deserve a good beating. Sounds like the way things work in the world.

21. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

good, she shouldn't be fucking around.

22. randyval

randyval TRIBE Member

actually, you can be charged if you take it beyond defending yourself.
    i had i similar thing happen to me, i was downtown here in winnipeg, and some guy walked right up to me and punched me in the face, i was already in a bad mood at the time so i literally beat the shit out of him.
    the cops came and they wanted to charge me, anyway charges were droped by both sides so nothing came of it.
    the cops pretty much told me that i should have run away and called the cops:rolleyes:

edit: there were witnesses there, and they told the cops what happend, and were sticking up for me, the cops still wanted to charge me

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  23. kerouacdude

kerouacdude TRIBE Member

I heard the woman is the daughter of the late Pierre Pelandeau. That means nothing to me, but apparenty is the Quebec equivalent of the daughter of a John Bassett/Paul Godfrey/Ted Rogers type.

24. dora

dora TRIBE Member

too true...too funny since TVA is the station that caught the footage and who owns TVA? You guessed it - Quebecor!

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/10/13/montreal_arrest_051013.html

25. scruffy1

scruffy1 TRIBE Member

funny... now they're suspended.

i guess being prominent has its perks.

dumb fucking pigs. they should be sent to jail.